1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is there a widget to call someone directly?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by velocity92c, Mar 14, 2010.

1. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

Is there a way to make a widget to call one of your contacts directly? It would save me a lot of time to have a few of them on my home screen.
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    You can long press on the homescreen > add shortcut > direct dial (or contact)
  3. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

You can use a "shortcut" for that. Long press on the homescreen where you want to place the shortcut. Choose Shortcut>Direct Call. Choose the Contact you wish to associate with the shortcut. It will appear on your screen with the contact identified.

Damn! I see I wasn't quick enough. :)
  4. Sp3aK

Sp3aK New Member

Anyone know of a frame-style scrolling widget for contacts? That'd be great...
  5. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

wow nice.. learn something new everyday :)
  6. th9203

th9203 New Member

When you get too many of these little shortcuts on your Home Screen you can long press again and add a Folder to your Home Screen then drag the little shortcuts into the Folder. Open the folder, long press on the name and give it a relevant name. I have a folder for all my starred contacts, another for Key Locations like Home and Work so I can get to them from anywhere as simply as possible. :icon_ banana:
  7. omnibus

omnibus New Member

I've known about this trick for a while, thanks droidnet forum. This will be my first test of the upcoming "droid pocket guide", whether or not the author is aware.

It's interesting that if you edit a phone number that has a shortcut you have to go in and change the info in the shortcut manually.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

If you just trash the current shortcut and add another from the updated contact you won't need to edit the contact AND the shortcut. IMO it's faster to trash the out of date shortcut and make another.
  9. cosmonaut

cosmonaut New Member

My only problem with that is calling people by mistake after I hang up. It is better to put the direct dials on the second screen. There is really no good speed dial with this thing.
  10. th9203

th9203 New Member

Can never have a "one touch" speed dial

With no exposed keypad the Droid can never have a speed dial like my wife insisted on until I learned the shortcut trick. :icon_ banana:
  11. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Im still looking for a way to speed dial from the keypad. ie: long press 1 dials voicemail. Why cant I assign 2-9? My Centro and all of my dumb phones could do this before the droid, but then again, all of my dumbphones supported BT dialing profiles too.
  12. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

old school speed dialer from the market allows you to speed dial like the good old days..with the number pad
  13. al911er

al911er New Member

Old style speed dial

If your looking for an app that works like the old speed dial, Program buttons 1-99 to dial...Then search the market for "speed dial old school"

it is .99 but well worth it. :icon_ banana: Its another option instead of creating shortcuts on the home screen
  14. smokinfish

smokinfish New Member

I know this app isn't speed dial but it works pretty well its called fast call and it's free. It lets you select contacts alphabetically, by faves etc.
  15. Womp

Womp New Member

Install NotCallLog and choose the 'Home' option.
  16. LassieGal

LassieGal New Member

Related to speed dial: someone asked me last night if a speed dial could be created on the main screen for 911. I had actually thought about doing that, then dismissed it as several times I have accidentally pressed a button on my home screen.

When I was asked last night I thought about it again, then came up with this solution: I created a contact called "911." I then made a shortcut to 911 on my main screen. Next I created a folder, renamed it "911" and put the 911 contact into the folder.

It's two-touch, not one-touch, but in an emergency I don't have to think about going into phone and then dialing 911, and if I hit the folder accidentally I still have another step to go.
Search tags for this page

911 shortcut android

adding call widget on phone

android direct dial widget

android one touch call home screen

android one touch calling widget

call someone with widget

widget for a person to call my ny