Is there a way to use a song for my alarm in the stock Clock app?

r314bd

Reaction score
I think it might have given me the opportunity when I first used it and I can't remember if I just clicked the "Android ringtones" option and then said "use as default"

Can anyone who uses the default Clock app for their alarm in 2.2 tell me if it's possible to use my own music?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Don't think you can with the base stock app.

You don't have HANDCENT SMS I can tell? For some reason I do not know, Handcent added "USE MUSIC" to my stock alarm clock application.
I click RINGTONE and I get prompted to
COMPLETE ACTION USING:
ANDROID SYSTEM
SELECT MUSIC and it shows the Handcent Icon.
Click SELECT MUSIC and it lets me choose a tune.

However I upgraded to ALARM CLOCK PLUS (free version).
I know I hate when people reply to my posts when I ask something specific and they say "JUST USE XYZ APP" but n this case, Alarm Clock Plus is excellent. Very reliable. I even bought the pay version for the wife ( $1.79 ) and she's been using it for 3 weeks with no issue.
The free one only shows ads in the menus.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make a folder named alarms on your sd card, and put the song in there, then you should be able to select it

drpaul07

Reaction score
I think you can use the app Ringdroid. You just use the part of the song you want as your alarm sound, and then make sure you set it as an alarm notification (not a ringtone notification), and then it should show up in your list of alarm notification sounds when setting your alarm. I haven't done this in a while, but i'm pretty sure thats how it works.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Don't think you can with the base stock app.

You don't have HANDCENT SMS I can tell? For some reason I do not know, Handcent added "USE MUSIC" to my stock alarm clock application.
I click RINGTONE and I get prompted to
COMPLETE ACTION USING:
ANDROID SYSTEM
SELECT MUSIC and it shows the Handcent Icon.
Click SELECT MUSIC and it lets me choose a tune.

!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I do have Handcent. But I think I accidentally selected "Android System" and clicked the default checkbox so now it doesn't even ask me.

Anyone know how I can get the prompt back for "Use Music" as well? I know it has to do with resetting the defaults but I don't know how

EDIT: Figured it out :) Went to Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> All -> Android System -> Clear Defaults

Now it asks me. Thanks for the help :D

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tallica was right on, make a file on your SD card and name it media, then inside of that folder make one and name it alarms (you can also put one inside of the media folder named ringtones and notifications) then any MP3 file you put in it's respected folder will then show up alongside of your stock alarms/ringtones/notifications in the pop-up selection box