Is there a way to tell what recovery I'm running?

Gemedet

Reaction score
And is there a way to tell what "bootstrapper" i have installed? I keep reading on how I should use SafeStrap but I keep seeing warning for having two recoveries installed and two bootstrappers and I don't want to mess my phone. Any help please? How do I uninstall a recovery or bootstrapper?

jkliving92

Reaction score
And is there a way to tell what "bootstrapper" i have installed? I keep reading on how I should use SafeStrap but I keep seeing warning for having two recoveries installed and two bootstrappers and I don't want to mess my phone. Any help please? How do I uninstall a recovery or bootstrapper?

It doesn't mess your phone up to have to bootstraps. Some custom roms have their own bootstrap built in with no issues with safe strap. If you're using safe strap however and then flash using bootstrap you'll lose safe strap and anything you flashed with it. Also bootstrap shows up like any other application so you can unstable it in Manage Applications. Safe strap you uninstall inside the app. I've used safe strap a few times.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jkliving92

Reaction score
It doesn't mess your phone up to have bootstrap installed as well as safe strap. Some custom roms have their own bootstrap built in with no issues with safe strap. If you're using safe strap however and then flash using bootstrap you'll lose safe strap and anything you flashed with it. Also bootstrap shows up like any other application so you can unstable it in Manage Applications. Safe strap you uninstall inside the app. I've used safe strap a few times.

OP
Gemedet

Gemedet

Reaction score
It doesn't mess your phone up to have to bootstraps. Some custom roms have their own bootstrap built in with no issues with safe strap. If you're using safe strap however and then flash using bootstrap you'll lose safe strap and anything you flashed with it. Also bootstrap shows up like any other application so you can unstable it in Manage Applications. Safe strap you uninstall inside the app. I've used safe strap a few times.

So do I need safestrap? Is there any real advantage to having it now that I'm rooted, have a recovery and have flashed a couple ROMs? Am I not safe for not having SafeStrap?! I was reading the instructions on how to install it from hashcodes site and it just seems really sketchy to try it without knowing what's actually installed already. According to my phone I have no bootstrapper currently installed, I assumed it was removed when I flashed a ROM?

jkliving92

Reaction score
The only difference between safestrap and bootstrap is you can dual boot. Say you wanted to try dhackers ics rom which is still in alpha stage, you want to use SafeStrap so you switch to your original rom easily and vice versa. Make sure you have plenty of space on your sd card though because to switch roms it makes backups of each so you can go back and forth. If you run out of room it won't disabled or enable safe mode. If you just want to flash roms like normal use bootstrap.

jkliving92

Reaction score
The only difference between safestrap and bootstrap is you can dual boot. Say you wanted to try dhackers ics rom which is still in alpha stage, you want to use SafeStrap so you switch to your original rom easily and vice versa. Make sure you have plenty of space on your sd card though because to switch roms it makes backups of each so you can go back and forth. If you run out of room it won't disabled or enable safe mode. If you just want to flash roms like normal use bootstrap. And since you have to wipe everything when flashing you'll need to install bootstrap again.

OP
Gemedet

Gemedet

Reaction score
Why I want to use safestrap for dhackers ics rom? Couldn't I just make a backup of my currently installed ROM and then flash? The only reason I ask is because I'm currently running CM9 ICS Alpha # 2.

jkliving92

Reaction score
Why I want to use safestrap for dhackers ics rom? Couldn't I just make a backup of my currently installed ROM and then flash? The only reason I ask is because I'm currently running CM9 ICS Alpha # 2.

It's for any rom that you want to dual boot with. Yes you can do that. SafeStrap just does it for you.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Safestrap is more than dual boot IMO.

It makes the phone pretty flash durable. Some people have reported trouble flashing new ICS Alpha ROMs with tweaked bootstrap.

I sound like a broken record, but when you flash a ROM you are doing it completely independent of the stock image in the "non-safe" location.

Plus it has a splash screen on boot, to boot into recovery. Not much better than that.

Sent from my rooted, safestrapped, and ROM'd XT862

jkliving92

Reaction score
Safestrap is more than dual boot IMO.

It makes the phone pretty flash durable. Some people have reported trouble flashing new ICS Alpha ROMs with tweaked bootstrap.

I sound like a broken record, but when you flash a ROM you are doing it completely independent of the stock image in the "non-safe" location.

Plus it has a splash screen on boot, to boot into recovery. Not much better than that.

Sent from my rooted, safestrapped, and ROM'd XT862

Thanks for explaining it more indepth.

OP
Gemedet

Gemedet

Reaction score
Thanks for all the clarification guys. My last question: I just installed SafeStrap and made a backup of my current ROM. I would also like to have a backup of Stock + Root. Where can I find a stock rom? I've looked on the forums and google'd but most of what I've found is SBF stuff for unbricking devices and I'd rather not go into that too much if not needed since I'm not bricked. Any help is always appreciated!

jkliving92

Reaction score
Thanks for all the clarification guys. My last question: I just installed SafeStrap and made a backup of my current ROM. I would also like to have a backup of Stock + Root. Where can I find a stock rom? I've looked on the forums and google'd but most of what I've found is SBF stuff for unbricking devices and I'd rather not go into that too much if not needed since I'm not bricked. Any help is always appreciated!

Might be sol on that one. The only thing I'd know to do is the sbf then root then backup but you'd have install safestrap again. SafeStrap backups can only be restored with safestrap also.

OP
Gemedet

Gemedet

Reaction score
haha yeah that's what i figured and safestrap backups being compatible only with safestrap is the reason i wanted a stock + root backup. thanks for all the help regardless.

jkliving92

Reaction score
haha yeah that's what i figured and safestrap backups being compatible only with safestrap is the reason i wanted a stock + root backup. thanks for all the help regardless.

Anytime.