Is there a way to set up a video cam in my house and watch it on my droid at work?

W

warrenianbarr

Is there maybe an app I can buy or something?

Thanks,
Warren

Metalunna

Reaction score
I use IP cam viewer and 4 linksys cameras.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

THIS

I use a different camera but IP Cam Viewer is great..The developer is even better. Constant updates and hundreds of camera types.

OP
W

warrenianbarr

I will just be using it to monitor newborn puppies in a playpen. Is there a list of compatible cameras I can see before I buy the app or can someone recommend a good cheap one that would be ideal for this purpose?

Warren

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The camera doesn't have to be "compatible". If it can get images to the internet, you're set.

OP
W

warrenianbarr

Will a standard IP webcam work with the app?

iron ghost

Reaction score
I had something eating my garden earlier this spring so I setup a camera to see what kinda dirty varmint it was.

I bought a $20 camera from Walmart and installed yawcam software Yawcam - Yet Another Webcam Software

I installed the camera software and just followed the setup instructions on yawcam. Once it was setup and had assigned itself an IP address. I just put it in my phone's web browser as a favorite and then I could watch it anytime I wanted from anywhere. It was pretty cool

hope that helps

dietche

Reaction score
Another interesting streaming site is Qik. Does audio too. There is a droid app that lets you use Qik as a stream from the droid camera and mic and you can watch it from any browser, no setup or anything. Been a couple times I've had to use this as a quick, down and dirty hack.

What I do is forward my calls to my wife's phone, leave my droid monitoring my sick pet with Qik, and bring my netbook along with bluetooth tether so her droid can stay functioning as a phone normally. I can then hear and see my pet in the passenger seat on a decent size screen direct from Qik's website.

The thing is, doing it this way there is nothing to buy, and nothing to setup or configure. Just install the Qik app on the droid and it's simply ready to go, no futzing about. Ditto for the computer receiving the feed. Nothing to setup or install, it's just a bookmark to my personal Qik account.

I don't use it much anymore as my pet has passed on but I know I always have it as an option when I need it and that's a pretty nice peace of mind.

Been wanting to get a bunch of old droids, like some g1's or something, any that have wifi, and using them as multiple remote cameras around the house, as well as things like model rocketry type stuff with them streaming to Qik via wifi from my backyard. Robots and R/C cars and stuff too. Endless uses :)

OP
W

warrenianbarr

Can I use the webcam that came built-in to my Dell Studio?

Just wondering if I have to go out and buy a separate webcam.

dwagner88

Reaction score
Oh wow. I misread the title! I thought it said "is there a way to set up a video cam in my house to watch MY DROID at work"

so I thought: Why wouldn't you just take it with you?