Is there a way to send text messages without a TM plan?

scroticus

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a redundant post, but I searched and couldn't find anything about this.

I want to get a droid but I'm trying to do it the least expensive way possible. I was thinking about getting the fewest minutes and doing all my calls through the skype app instead.

Is there an app that allows you to send text messages without paying for an addititional messaging plan from your provider, i.e. verizon?

Nolano

Reaction score
Google Voice does if you have an account with them. But it's not as good as normal text messaging, there's no "push" features so your inbox has to be refreshed frequently.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to have a text plan with Verizon. However if you text frequently it's to your benefit to have one, because you will get charged per text message. I want to say it's 5 cents but I'm not certain.

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you are required to get a data plan with the Droid as it is a smartphone.

But you can also send text messages through email if you know the other person's carrier.

Nolano

Reaction score
You don't have to have a text plan with Verizon. However if you text frequently it's to your benefit to have one, because you will get charged per text message. I want to say it's 5 cents but I'm not certain.
It's more like .20-.25
I'm pretty sure you are required to get a data plan with the Droid as it is a smartphone.

But you can also send text messages through email if you know the other person's carrier.
Yes, you are, but you aren't required to get a texting plan.

OP
S

scroticus

Reaction score
I know that the data plan is required so I'm hoping that there will be a way to avoid the additional fee of paying for a text plan with some sharp application. are the handcent and other sms apps just skins for your normal sms messager or do they actually send and recieve the texts outside the typical network? also, are sent messages linked to your carrier (verizon, tmobile, att) phone number or some other phone number? I don't want to confuse my friends with a bunch of new numbers.

B1-66er

Reaction score
AOL IM or yahoo IM should work, at least I know you can send messages to cell phones from those on a PC

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Google voice allows you to send txt messages via the data connection (as opposed to cell connection). This makes it unnecessary to pay for a text plan. However, I'm 99% sure that your friends will see your GV number instead of your normal cell number. You could just switch everything over the the GV number though, then it wouldn't be a problem.

As far as text messages not being pushed from GV, there is a simple workaround. You simply have your TXT / SMS messages forwarded to your email (which is pushed) so you get notified instantly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Data and text are two different things. Yes, you have to have a data plan but that does not include texting unless of course you use Google Voice.

jdollaz

Reaction score
Google voice is the only service (at this moment) you can use that will text actual phone numbers, but I would suggest applying ASAP for a Google Voice because it's beta and takes a while till they give you an account.

FormerHPB

Reaction score
Google Voice does if you have an account with them. But it's not as good as normal text messaging, there's no "push" features so your inbox has to be refreshed frequently.

If you get the google voice app, you get the text messages VERY quick, just like a normal text message. Give everyone your google voice number and with the google voice app, all your outgoing calls go through google voice and same for incoming. You can also set it up so it pushes the calls to your home phone. It's pretty slick. You can set it up so that when someone calls your google voice number, your droid, home phone, and work phone will ring at the same time.

Nolano

Reaction score

If you get the google voice app, you get the text messages VERY quick, just like a normal text message. Give everyone your google voice number and with the google voice app, all your outgoing calls go through google voice and same for incoming. You can also set it up so it pushes the calls to your home phone. It's pretty slick. You can set it up so that when someone calls your google voice number, your droid, home phone, and work phone will ring at the same time.

Not for me, I was going to try using google voice as my primary, but after sending myself a text and not getting it for at least 5-10 minutes, I changed my mind.

KdawgBRTNpod

Reaction score
how about this:
1.everyone in the world gets a smartphone
2. developers make all facebook apps iphone equivalent so facebook chat can be used to it's full potential on mobile devices.
3. then SMS txing and it's monthly charges wont be necessary because everyone would be on facebook chat 24/7

to bad facebook chat took away the popularity of AOL users signing into AIM. (at least with everyone I know) cause you can chat with people doing AIM over the data network. (just download the AIM app) If they have mobile forwarding set up on their aim you can send them an IM and it will go to their phone. it wont be your phone number they see but they will see your aim. i do it all the time but it's kinda annoying. if you cant change the world do what MNTNBKR said and use google voice but use with caution ive heard that people use it without knowing about it and get unwanted charges on their bill. (idk it's what i've heard)