Is there a way to just have Nav on with no destination?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by minmongoblin, May 30, 2010.

1. minmongoblin

minmongoblin New Member

It would be neat to just let the GPS feature run, see road names, restaurants, etc
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

that would be kind of cool at times. there should be a way, if there isnt
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You can run Maps all the time if you want....It shows your position.
  4. minmongoblin

minmongoblin New Member

That wasn't my question, I did know that
  5. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

But isn't what Backnblack said the same exact thing? I mean itll show you roads and such? What do you need thats in the navigation view that better than maps?
  6. razorseal

razorseal New Member

It's something alot of people want, but for some reason they haven't added it...
  7. rjax

rjax New Member

I haven't tried this personally, but according to this post: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ogle-maps-navigation-question.html#post456764

Another work around option is to set a location a few hundred feet from where you are. Once you reach the location the map will change to Google Street View. There should be an arrow in the bottom left corner, and when you hit that you will return the the "Follow Me Map". As long as you only hit that arrow, and not the back button it should continue to follow you around. The only glitch I found was when you are stopped, it will return to the bird's eye view, but as soon as you start moving again it will return to the following mode.
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

:icon_rolleyes:
  9. minmongoblin

minmongoblin New Member

Thank, rjax! Very helpful
  10. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm confused what the O.P. wants. Instead of jumping through hoops, select "maps" and hit menu, then my location, and away you go. Zoom in/out, select your view, and it will follow you wherever you're traveling to and if you have the layers set up, it will tell you the landmarks you're approaching and the road you are on.
  11. pmcnano

pmcnano New Member

I do understand the OP's question. For example, I am @ Mexico, I cant use navigation because it fails to find routers, even with the hacked version. BUT

I would be so nice to see the "Navigation view" (the GPS alike view..) showing you your speed, the street you are driving in, etc...BUT I cant do it, the only way to do it its to select a source and destination inside the US then I will get the navigation view, but there will be a message in the top telling me something if I close it it will come back to maps view. Not sure if I explained myself, but we just want a way to see navigation view.
  12. rjax

rjax New Member

Glad to help!

Yeah, OP wants 3D Nav view, not birdseye Maps view. My post above is a supposed workaround that will give you 3D Nav view without being guided to a destination. Or if you don't mind having irrelevant directions, you could of course just select a destination thousands of miles away.
  13. OldguyMark

OldguyMark New Member

:)

Ditto - I don't seem to have the problems with GPS that many that post here do ....

Touch Maps, wait a sec for it to lock you ... or sometimes I just drive off, it locks me up in about 2 - 3 blocks. If I'm moving, it take another sec for the dot to change into an arrow. Zoom in a bit on the map and it gives you all the cross streets and landmarks etc.

I haven't figured out if there's a follow me, as in as my location on the map gets toward the top of the screen, I just touch it and move it back to the bottom ....

It's usually within ten to a hundred feet ... sometimes it will show me coming up to an intersection, when I've already past it ... other times it's bang on ... But even in my little rural home town here, it will show Billy Bobs Rib BBQ place, or the No-Tell-Motel before you get to it .... :):)

About the only thing I have a problem with is, like all things Google, many things on the map are actually marked wrong (in the wrong place.)
  14. OldguyMark

OldguyMark New Member

Ok, I think I understand that ... in my part of the world, there are almost no 3D maps available, so trying to do 3D nav is meaningless ....
  15. irepodu

irepodu New Member

I think night mode would be a great feature for maps as it's available in navigation mode.
  16. baniels

baniels New Member

Anytime you are doing navigation (not just viewing google maps) it is in this mode (as far as I have ever seen). This is the view when the "camera" angle viewing the streets is looking down at your location from above and behind you. See the picture below. This is not to be confused with Street View, which is not available everywhere.

[​IMG]

BTW - thanks, rjax, for the tip. I have been looking for the same thing as the OP for a while.

Attached Files:

17. OldguyMark

OldguyMark New Member

Ok - Thanks, you learn something everyday ... I was thinking street view, and not what you are showing here ... I'll shut up and go back and study some more :)

LOL - I do recognize that SF map ... haven't lived down that way for 30 yrs (Marin,) but I was back last year :) that view would be a useful to get around ... Thanks :)
  18. takeshi

takeshi New Member

What the OP is looking for is typically referred to as a 3D Follow Me Map. It's not available in Google Maps Nav. If it's a must-have-right-now then check into the other GPS nav apps for one that offers the feature.
  19. minmongoblin

minmongoblin New Member

Would you happen to know of any? Especially if they keep EVERYTHING else intact in the default nav app (because otherwise, I love it)?
  20. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

He wants the over the shoulder view that Nav shows. Also, you can put more layers on the nav view than are available in maps, for instance, restaurants, gas stations and atms.