Is there a way to install the stock browser on the black hole ROM?

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Loving the battery life on this bloatware free ROM but I also prefer the stock browser. Chrome doesn't support flash and I'm not crazy about the display of Firefox or skyfire. Also the stock browser has an exit option. Anyway, I tried pulling the apk from the stock rom, putting it in /system/apps, setting permissions and rebooting and it didn't work. Also I tried putting it in data/apps and that didn't work either. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to get it to work? Thanks for any help:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Did you tap on it, click install, then reboot? Try doing your first process again then installing before reboot.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

OP
R

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does not install, parser error, system apps usually do that. I'm on ICS leak 232 if that matters.

deduct

Reaction score
Have you tried dolphin browser? It has an exit option by holding down back key. And it is the easiest browser to use I think.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I prefer Dolphin. But usually when I have to install a system app, I set permissions, install, then reboot. Like with the Play Store. I downloaded the latest one, moved, set, install, reboot. Voila. But I guess it's different in ICS, so idk.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
It feels kinda funny trying to help an SMod. They're supposed to know everything already. ;)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It feels kinda funny trying to help an SMod. They're supposed to know everything already. ;)

No that's rescue squad. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
R

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried dolphin as well. I wonder if someone could make a flashable zip. I have no idea why setting permissions doesn't work. Like you said, maybe ICS is different.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
No that's rescue squad. ;)

Oh yeah! Lol

Yeah, I've tried dolphin as well. I wonder if someone could make a flashable zip. I have no idea why setting permissions doesn't work. Like you said, maybe ICS is different.

You might be able to have davros make a .zip for you. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

OP
R

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might be able to have davros make a .zip for you. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

I sent him a pm, hopefully he can help. One thing I did notice is that on the stock ROM, every apk file in /system/apps also has an odex file. So browser.apk would have browser.odex to go along with it. For the heck of it, I tried copying over the browser.odex file as well, setting permissions and rebooting but it didn't work. I might be wrong but I'm thinking the browser.apk has to be deodexed somehow since I'm trying to install it on a deodexed ROM. Gingerbread was so much easier to work with, lol.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I sent him a pm, hopefully he can help. One thing I did notice is that on the stock ROM, every apk file in /system/apps also has an odex file. So browser.apk would have browser.odex to go along with it. For the heck of it, I tried copying over the browser.odex file as well, setting permissions and rebooting but it didn't work. I might be wrong but I'm thinking the browser.apk has to be deodexed somehow since I'm trying to install it on a deodexed ROM. Gingerbread was so much easier to work with, lol.

Yes it is. :) It probably does have something to do with the odex file. But, I'm no dev so I'm not really sure. I hope dav can help.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling browser from a non stock ROM that has been Deodexed?

OP
R

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not yet but I will try, hopefully that will work.