is there a way to connect an external hard drive to our bionics?

diablo81588

Reaction score
The issue is that your drives are probably formatted with exfat(Windows 7) and android cannot recognize this type of formatting. There is an ext2 plugin for windows that allows you to format drives to ext2 or ext3, but most windows machines won't recognize this format unless you have the ext2 plugin. Also files above 4GB will not be able to be copied to NTFS or FAT32. So if you have High Def movies like I do, you'll have to use ext2/ext3 or break your videos up into smaller files.

NTFS supports files larger than 4GB. FAT32 is the only file system with this limitation. I could be misunderstanding your point, though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh i see. So in what ways would the performance be different? Will some things not save?

When I changed from 16GB to 32GB I first transferred everything from the old card to my computer. Then I disconnected the Bionic from the PC, powered down and then swapped cards. When I powered up I let the phone format the card. I then connected the Bionic to my PC and transferred everything except for the LOST directory because a new one was created during the format. The Bionic recognized everything without any change in performance.

The only odd thing was that the name of the card, when connected to my PC, changed from Removable Drive to MOT, just like the internal card.

dethzero

Reaction score
There's a program called Plex that I use to stream my videos/audio to anywhere. I stream to my phone, to a computer at a friends house, etc. It auto-converts on the fly to work with whatever device you are using. You do have to pay for the app from the Play Store but the Plex Media Server app is free as well as the clients for Linux, Windows, and Mac.

That sounds awesome, I'll definitely give it a try.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Red Droid said:
Have you successfully connected an external drive via the USB port? I've tried a Seagate GoFlex 1TB and a 1.5TB and the system won't recognize either of them.

Issues: Will the USB power the drives? Are the drive sizes too large?

I use a 1 TB drive with my lapdock when I travel. 720p mkv movies look amazing on the lapdock screen!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

jayman350

Reaction score
i could have sworn that i saw something a couple of weeks ago discussing USB OTG (USB On The Go) for the Bionic on ICS... of course i can't find it now :mad:

techweenie

Reaction score
I have my own file server running Server 2008 R2 and I use ES File Explorer to stream videos from it with MX Player. It only works while I'm at my house, but that's the only place I use it anyway. Netflix takes care of the rest. If going the ES Explorer route feel free to hit me up with any questions about folder permissions and whatnot. I'm well versed in Windows networking.

txrover

Reaction score
I have a network drive attached to my router. I can easily access it over wifi. 2tb.

I assume it's about as good as a USB connection, but haven't compared data transfer rates.

monkeyass408

Reaction score
to answer the ops questions and help some of you guys out.

I have a lapdock running ics webtop 3.0. I am able to use NTFS file format with an app called Paragon NTFS & HFS+. Its on the google market and its free. As far as OTG cables i believe that you will need some power along with that because
there is no power coming out of that data port on the bionic. Just buying the y cable and sticking in the hdd wont cut it.

For those that need a media streamer that will play mkv embedded subtitles i recommend emit. Also on the market but not free. Only draw back of this is that it intensively uses your cpu for on the fly conversion. Dont try it if you dont have a good comp and willing for it to run at 90+ % cpu when you stream the movie to your device (bionic).

Last edited:

Phasedroid

Reaction score
San Diego, California, USA, Planet Earth, Sol syst
monkeyass408 said:
to answer the ops questions and help some of you guys out.

I have a lapdock running ics webtop 3.0. I am able to use NTFS file format with an app called Paragon NTFS & HFS+. Its on the google market and its free. As far as OTG cables i believe that you will need some power along with that because
there is no power coming out of that data port on the bionic. Just buying the y cable and sticking in the hdd wont cut it.

For those that need a media streamer that will play mkv embedded subtitles i recommend emit. Also on the market but not free. Only draw back of this is that it intensively uses your cpu for on the fly conversion. Dont try it if you dont have a good comp and willing for it to run at 90+ % cpu when you stream the movie to your device (bionic).

I use Mobo for a video player and it has played every type I have so far.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
I use ZumoCast to stream vidoes from my laptop. Works pretty well and maintains good quality for video and you can access pictures and files as well.

zybornizum

Reaction score
I've seen ways to activate the USB OTG on the bionic though i have yet to try it. The OTG will not function if the device is not being powered. using a powered hub and connecting a USB Y cable through the device and drive is what seems to be the trick... a lil research and you should be able to find an easy answer. can't remember the web address to the site off hand but not hard to find. there is even some howto's to make a battery powered hub for on the go.