is there a way to connect an external hard drive to our bionics?

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
Like how you can with a laptop or desktop? I just wanna transfer movies and stuff because im running out of storage.

Also can we use a 32g micro sd in our phones without modifying anything?

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Like how you can with a laptop or desktop? I just wanna transfer movies and stuff because im running out of storage.

Not sure about your first question, but the answer to your second question is yes. I'm running a 32gb Class 10 card and it works great.

SStaged

Reaction score

I can confirm that a 64gb microsd card works too...have one in mine.

Red Droid

Reaction score
Have you successfully connected an external drive via the USB port? I've tried a Seagate GoFlex 1TB and a 1.5TB and the system won't recognize either of them.

Issues: Will the USB power the drives? Are the drive sizes too large?

dethzero

Reaction score
What about accessing a network drive? Is there a way to browse NAS and stream videos from it?

Sent from my Droid Bionic (.246 ICS)

Tech425

Reaction score
What about accessing a network drive? Is there a way to browse NAS and stream videos from it?

Sent from my Droid Bionic (.246 ICS)

Not sure about that mate - as I have packed up my NAS - Hope someone has one and can try for you :)

Tech425

Reaction score
Yes a Class 4 32g will work, but you will get better performance out of a Class 10 32g card dancedroid:biggrin:

jjgoose

Reaction score
I grabbed a 32GB class 4 card at walmart while I was on the road and put it in mine. Its working fine. I havent recorded any videos with it in the phone yet though.

Olhonda

Reaction score

I connect to my NAS using ES File explorer.

It has to be mapped as a drive letter to one of the computers on your network. Then shared to the network.

It works, but it's pretty slow.

Tech425

Reaction score
Class 4 and Class 10 will save just fine - I like Class 10 because when I put a movie on it there isn't any chopping like I got on lower class MicoSD cards dancedroid

unbesorgt

Reaction score

I believe you can use DLNA for that. I haven't tried it so I don't know the details, but the Bionic has DLNA capability built in.

josh1980

Reaction score
There's a program called Plex that I use to stream my videos/audio to anywhere. I stream to my phone, to a computer at a friends house, etc. It auto-converts on the fly to work with whatever device you are using. You do have to pay for the app from the Play Store but the Plex Media Server app is free as well as the clients for Linux, Windows, and Mac.

Phasedroid

Reaction score
San Diego, California, USA, Planet Earth, Sol syst
Red Droid said:
Have you successfully connected an external drive via the USB port? I've tried a Seagate GoFlex 1TB and a 1.5TB and the system won't recognize either of them.

Issues: Will the USB power the drives? Are the drive sizes too large?

The issue is that your drives are probably formatted with exfat(Windows 7) and android cannot recognize this type of formatting. There is an ext2 plugin for windows that allows you to format drives to ext2 or ext3, but most windows machines won't recognize this format unless you have the ext2 plugin. Also files above 4GB will not be able to be copied to FAT32. So if you have High Def movies like I do, you'll have to use ext2/ext3 or break your videos up into smaller files. I've found that Android likes to corrupt my ntfs formatted drives. Not sure why, but it does and I always make sure to unmount the drive before disconnecting.

Last edited: