Is there a way to change a file association?

ChicagoFire

Reaction score
My phone seems to have associated my video files as .txt or .sms or something.

I'm using File Manager to locate my video files then I touch them to play. They played at first, but somehow I managed to mess up the default application association. Yes, I'm new to Droid.

Whenever I try to play them, all I get are ways to complete the action with messaging type applications.

The videos play fine using Gallery, but Gallery doesn't let me sort them by file name, just by date so it is hard to find the one I want to watch. The videos are tv episodes compressed to .wmv and I want to watch them in episode order. Any ideas besides doing a hard reset??

OP
C

ChicagoFire

Reaction score
I found a fix. I dumped File Manager and installed Astro File Manager. It has an option to change file associations, plus it does a much better job of displaying your directories and has other cool options.

windstrings

Reaction score
I found a fix. I dumped File Manager and installed Astro File Manager. It has an option to change file associations, plus it does a much better job of displaying your directories and has other cool options.

All I can find is how to edit file extensions.... I created a new one "M4a" and told it the Mime type would be "audio" and the subtype would be "mp4" saved it and it didn't seem to affect anything.... I still can't play m4a's from my gmail or get a prompt to download to SD.