Is there a way to add system sounds?

josh1980

Reaction score
Is there a way to add system sounds? I don't want to put them on my SD Card because I often have my phone charging while connected to a PC(and set to mount the SD Card). If I choose a ringtone using an app like Zedge it works great.. until I plug the phone into a PC. Then if someone calls me instead of getting my new ringtone I get one of the default ringtones. Obviously this is because the SD Card is not available for the system to retrieve the file. I'd like to be able to add one or 2 ringtones/notification sounds so I can have a decent ringtone even with the SD Card mounted.

I've searched everywhere but I can't find the location of the sounds nor how to add them except via the SD Card.

Any ideas?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You'd have to root it and place the sound in the proper system folder.

"Stay classy interwebz"

OP
J

josh1980

Reaction score
I am rooted. I decided to extract my nandroid image of the system and look for all mp3s and ogg files. Low and behold the proper location is /system/media/audio. Inside the audio folder are 6 folders.. alarms, alart, eri, notifications, ringtones, and ui. Gee.. I wonder what these are for. I guess I'll copy an mp3 or ogg file to the folders and see if that works.

Edit: It appears that the sound file must be in .ogg file format. Simply copy the .ogg file to the /system/media/(applicable type) and the system instantly finds the new sound file.