Is there a way out of jury duty?

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Typically this isn't something I'd concern myself with but I've been hit with alot of stress recently and if I can avoid this at all possible I'd like to. Anyone know how to get out of jury duty?
( my great grandmother, whome I was living with passed on the 30 th, my uncle, as power of attorney wants me out asap so I have a basement, and garage to pack, move and clean, two cars to move and fix, I just started work today 6-3, then this letter shows up....)

Sent from my DROID running UD2.1 @ 1Ghz

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well I don't know how the forum would feel about this but my gf just got a summons and she was going through some medical issues and she just called them and told them that she was really busy and didn't have the time or money to take time off of work because they don't pay for jury duty. They told her not to worry about coming in.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I guess it couldn't hurt to call,I was just weary because its posted all over that if you don't show its a fine or jail time, and no option to opt out on the form.

bookie

Reaction score
You can try calling the clerk of court and pleading hardship. If that doesn't work then during the picking phase say that anyone who is in court must be guilty because they wouldn't have been arrested otherwise.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

DeathGrind

Reaction score
Tell them your a racist. Also tell them you think if someone is dumb enough to get caught or end up in court then they deserve to go to jail no matter what.
It worked for me the one and only time I responded to a jury summons.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

J*Bishop

Reaction score
if i recall you can ask for an extension. also, if summoned your work should allow you to go. there are many ways around it. i say just go. it's your civil duty.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
with that username, i'm guessing you're someone who doesn't take their civic duties lightly, and wouldn't make something up just to get out of jury duty. every state is different, but oftentimes a court clerk will give an extension/continuance. if not, some summonses have a box to check for "hardship", and you can explain your reasons. if that isn't accepted, just show up and explain your circumstances - judges are often more lenient for hardship reasons than clerks. and, as a practical matter, most lawyers will be hesitant to pick someone in that situation...

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I understand where your coming from, and under any other circumstances I would be happy to attend and help. I've always tried to help anyone I can, its how I was raised. However,I feel the need to explain myself a little more here, my great grandparents helped raise me from the day I was born and were the center of our family, at 410 am on the 30th I came upstairs to find her on the floor. I can't say I've slept a whole lot since. ( my great grandpa passed away in 2004, so I was the only one residing with her.)
if i recall you can ask for an extension. also, if summoned your work should allow you to go. there are many ways around it. i say just go. it's your civil duty.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel that jury duty is something we should all do willingly but quite frankly, life gets in the way. I was in a similar situation to you last march with my grandmother and I can tell you there would be absolutely no way I would have time for jury duty. You should certainly be eligible for an extension and depending on the state/county or whatever, they might even tell you just to not worry about it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Freezetron

Reaction score
Screw that crap, I don't need or want the fate of a man on my concious, especially when the whole justice sytem is farking joke. When I last got summoned to jury a few years ago, I basically told everyone in the courtroom that the defendent was going to burn in hell for his crime. I was immediately kicked out and since then, never asked or summoned for jury duty again. Good riddance

Sent from my DROIDX

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From one former Jarhead to another. I know you are a person who knows and will willingly do for their country what you're called to do. This is a hardship situation and carefully read what Huskerkate said above.

I served Jury duty twice in my life, once in San Jose, CA and the other in Pittsburgh. Both times I was so happy I was picked because I absolutely enjoy jury duty. Earlier this year my daughter married a police officer. That means when I get picked next time I will probably be excused immediately because of a family member who is a police officer. It's too bad too because I enjoy it.

Again, you have a hardship, the judge will be more likely to allow you to be excused this time.

Semper Fi.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys. I'll probably call in tomorrow after work.

reebz

Reaction score
Just call the jury commissioner's office. There must be a number on the form. Explain the situation and it shouldn't be a problem getting an extension.

@Freezetron-in my opinion, that's kind of a douchey statement. Yes, our justice system has problems, but it's infinitely times better than some other society's justice systems.

@admins- if you feel you must alter my post because of the "douchey" part, that's cool.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

This.

File for a postponement, and fufill your duties at a future date. I've had to do this before, and they have no problem with it. Just expect a summons about 6 months in the future.

draneo

Reaction score
Every state is a little different. Here in California it's almost impossible to get out of jury duty anymore. In the past I could call up and tell them I wasn't going to be in the country for several months and that would get me out. But now that had all changed. You can't really get off now. You must report a some time in the future.

Sent from my Droid X