Is there a video that shows a complete install of froyo from start to finish?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bbohannon, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been watching many videos on installing android 2.2 froyo for the droid but my mind is becoming very scatter brained with different videos telling me to do different things before the fact such as nandroid backups, root access, etc etc. I have a stock droid 2.1 and want to see the big picture from start to finish. Can anyone help me?

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
  3. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is how to get sprecovery on 2.1 (will allow you to install froyo)- http://www.droid-life.com/2010/04/13/video-flashing-sprecovery-sbf-to-stock-2-1/

Here is how to flash bugless beast v0.1 Froyo-
    Edit: the 2nd link ^ is using clockwork recovery, to get clockwork install a 2.1 rom (this will give you root access) then download rom manger on the market and open it up and flash clockwork.

Also the 2nd link isn't showing how to install stock froyo it is a rom based off of froyo so in case you dont want that here is a written guide on how to install stock froyo- http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/08/download-newer-motorola-droid-froyo-leak-frf57/

4. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry for sounding ignorant, but is it even necessary to be rooted? I don't mind rooting my phone as it appears fairly simple, I just don't want to downgrade to 2.0.1 in order to do so. I have done so much reading to better understand this concept and only hit a dent in all of the information out there.

5. TekHawk

TekHawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you do not have to downgrade you just SBF the recovery

and yes root is basicly needed for this though you only really need the recovery change you do not need to install the SU or SuperUser app so you could go without it but your still basicly rooted once you have the recovery so why not enjoy the other perks

6. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No you don't have to downgrade to 2.0.1 just follow the first link in my first post. And I guess you don't need to be rooted as long as you have sprecovery on your phone.
    Edit: but once you flash froyo you will have root because all froyo roms are rooted

Sent from my Droid

7. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought, in order to root the updated 2.1 OS, you had to downgrade to 2.0.1? Specifically the sticky that includes the instructions to root 2.1 shows you obtain root access but sacrifice speed by downgrading to 2.0?

8. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I did it. And it seems like I seriously messed up somehow. I followed the instructions to a T posted in the first link in reply #2. I now have Froyo, but have a completely factory reset phone. I do not have any of my apps or contacts. Was there some sort of backup I missed or that wasn't posted in the original link?

Man I really hope I didn't just lose all of my stuff, I have a ton of money spent on apps and important contacts. I was just thinking I would lose my text messages....

9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Actually all that's necessary for Froyo is SPRecovery. When Froyo is installed, it will root your Droid as well. No need to root beforehand.

Here's how to install SPRecovery without downgrading:

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

10. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I already got it to work. I flashed SPRecovery and installed the sprf file and now have Froyo. You are right though, I now have superuser permissions app so I must have rooted it somehow.

However, I really think I messed up all of my phones information! All I have is what's saved on my SD card. How do I get all my apps and contacts back!!!

11. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No the fact that u don't have any data on the internal memory part of your phone is completely normal. One of the steps for installing all that stuff is to wipe day and cache which allows a clean install of roms (otherwise you would be getting a bunch of force closes and nothing would work). Your paid apps should be in the download section of the market. You can also get apps like my backup pro or titanium backup to backup everything else on your phone. Btw wiping data and cache does not affect your SD card just the phones internal memory

Sent from my Droid

12. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And your contacts should still be on your phone as long as you selected backup my info on Google's servers when you first set up your phone

Sent from my Droid

13. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course I now understand. Next time I will use titanium to backup all my apps.

How do I restore my apps from my SD card? I just see the folders