Is there a Reason Why People Don't ROOT or more?

KaChow

Reaction score
If you did not respond to the other thread, this one is directed at you. I'm curious to get this answer, please refrain from any bashing of any sort. This is an informational thread, for those to understand why and for those to understand what simply do not know enough about. This is a community on DroidForums.net, so please treat the community as one and simply answer the question as honestly and open as possible. Thank you.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Rooting can be a pretty scary step. I still remember when I refused to root because I was scared of messing up my Droid. That's only speaking from first time rooting perspective though of course.

As for avid Android users. I know many who don't root and choose not to. They don't see any real benefit to rooting so there is no reason to. I've rooted all my devices even if I have the stock ROM (my Nexus 7 for example) and still reap the benefits of root. However, a few good friends of mine who have tried root on previous devices saw little to no benefit in doing so. Not even apps like Titanium Backup spark a real interest.

Some have tried root and now can't live without it. The apps they use constantly require root and it makes Android a better experience. However, as with anything else, it's subjective and just isn't for some.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
If you did not respond to the other thread, this one is directed at you. I'm curious to get this answer, please refrain from any bashing of any sort. This is an informational thread, for those to understand why and for those to understand what simply do not know enough about. This is a community on DroidForums.net, so please treat the community as one and simply answer the question as honestly and open as possible. Thank you.
1) Warranty issues (valid or not) 2) Don't understand what root is or is not...the fear of the unknown 3) have tried it and see no benefit 4) are perfectly happy with the phone the way it is (stock) 5) "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I think a big reason, and this kind of fits into 4 above, is that todays stock roms and launchers are really pretty good. Years ago rooting could improve battery, responsiveness, appearance etc. With the advances in stock roms and stock launchers rooting doesn't really offer a marked increase or advantage in any of these areas for many users...so they see no need to do something to their phone that might "screw it up" or cause issues if they have to return their phone to Big Red or Moto for exchange or repair.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Not sure about other people but this is my personal take. I used to root all my android phones to make them better. But since I've gotten the Razr Maxx HD, its been everything I hoped it would be and it hasn't given me any reason to root or flash other roms. Also a lot of apps before needed root to work (like tethering), but with developing advancement, we no longer need root for some of the apps I used to root for. I'm sure it could get better if I root and/or flash but... I'm fully happy with it.

s_a

Reaction score
I refuse to root on grounds of voiding the warranty for something I personally don't really need. Even if I could hide the fact, I would feel dishonest. If rooting was allowed by the warranty, then I would try it to see what alternatives the community has come up with. Frankly, my budget is very tight, and I can't afford damaging my device and being unable to replace it ASAP without problems.

Finally, the phone seems to work wonders for me stock (even after the official patches), so I am convinced that I may not be missing as much, vs the possible consequences for me rooting my phone.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I have complete confidence in our development community.. I agree that root is not for everyone and today's latest phones are actually very good in stock form.. Also if you don't know about root and how to take the proper steps you're asking for trouble... I've seen plenty people post ridiculous scenarios where they didn't read and almost ruined their phones.. That being said if you read and learn about what you're doing there is nothing you can't do to get back to out of the box working condition if you need to return a phone for any reason.. Why do i root... Let me use the Note 2 as an example... Stock phone from Verizon is solid.. Battery is great.. System flows beautiful.. It's a beast.. Plenty happy people with it stock.. Ok I don't like ads.. Root I can block.. I don't like the eye sore of e911 icon in the status bar.. I don't like wifi notification in the dropdown.. If I want to tether with native Hotspot.. I don't like that ugly green battery icon.. Lol... Wait 4.1.2 is out everywhere but Verizon has yet to release? Oh I'm running international version.. Maybe today I want to run AOSP 4.2.2.. I can... So it's all the rewards of being rooted.. Unlocked.. Can I harm my phone.. Not any more than you will stock.. If you read and read.. Trust the community.. Don't try to do a modification without research.. Again.. Not for everyone.. Plenty of happy peeps on both sides of the fence... And plenty of unhappy peeps on both sides as well... Either way it's your phone.. Take responsibility for anything you do... Don't try to mod and unlock a phone then send it in bc you ruined it.. End of story... Bkdodger out... Lol

Noted 2x- beta testing

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
First task out of the box for me is to own, that is root my phones.
I want to be able to do full backup and control what is running and disable bloat.

I root everything.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My previous phone, Droid Incredible 2, I rooted and ROM'ed the crap out of that. Even detailed some of my adventures on our forums here to give others some info.

I got SOOOOOO tired of it. Once everything is in place it is so easy to do. Backup apps. Install new ROM. Restore apps. Very quick and no loss of anything.
The 2 main reasons I wanted root:
To be able to screenshot (which is now a standard feature)
and to kill bloat (since then, you can now disable most apps).

The problems I had with root/rom is: every damn ROM always seems to have ONE tiny issue.
Oh, the flash doesn't work in this one. O the Camcorder doesn't work on this one. O, the GPS doesn't work on this one.
And then I finally found one that had everything working...but every once in awhile it would just berserk out and need to be reset with a battery pull.
Got. So Tired of it. So when I broke that phone and got an Insurance replacement I said "screw it" and stayed stock.
Stock ROM's run well enough, I don't need to overclock. I don't need to futz with kernels. I just want the damn thing to make a call when I need it to, send a text, let me capture portals in Ingress... just work damnit.
And I see nothing has REALLY changed. Just 2 weeks ago someone announced some great new ROM for the RAZR HD on this very website. With an asterisk:
*Camcorder not working yet... :facepalm:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
From reading a lot of the replies it seems most just don't know what ROOT is.

ROOT and ROMs don't go hand in hand, you just need ROOT to flash a recovery to flash a ROM.

Many people run the stock from the factory ROM but with ROOT access. This allows you to disable bloatware services (not just apps) and run specific apps that require ROOT (Titanium Backup, Ad blocker, DNS changers, etc...).

So I would say many don't ROOT because they think it means installing a ROM from a developer or requiring you to install a different ROM then what is already on the device.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
O no... I get the difference. But I wanted to ROM because the DINC2 was GB and there were ICS ROMS out there. And since I am only speaking from my own experience...

six37

Reaction score
To me having a phone that is not rooted is like using my own PC without administrator rights. I find root necessary because I need to control my device the way I like. There are many essential apps that require root so..
Good luck!!!

ambrown

Reaction score
I think many people have warranty concerns, since rooting can void the warranty.

And it can seem way more technical than most people want to get. Especially if you have to downgrade your Android version because the root exploit doesn't work on your current version (i.e. Razr HD on Jelly Bean). When people on the forums say, "all you have to do is downgrade your OS version" it doesn't seem like a very good option. Plus some may worry about "bricking" their phone since they don't know what they're doing.

And ultimately some may not see any need to root. They don't want root apps, to mess around with system files, install custom ROMs, or any of that.

Personally I didn't root for a couple of years after buying my first smartphone. But I knew the option was there and it sounded interesting. And it seemed that it was the number one suggestion by all savvy Android users back in the day. But now Android is better, has better features, and runs smoother, so rooting has become less of a "necessity" and more of a hobby for Android users.

But after rooting a Droid Eris I found it to be much easier than I was anticipating. Now I've rooted a few phones and enjoy doing it. And with exploit scripts already in place for certain models rooting is almost as easy as plugging it in and clicking "go" on a desktop computer. My current Razr HD is rooted, and I'm loving the extra power I have to do stuff.

However, I can see that many may not want to root, and think that not rooting is a fine idea for most users. But for those who like to tinker with their tech, and maybe even push some boundaries, rooting is still going to give you the best experience. It's not for everyone though, and that's okay. Don't let anyone push you into rooting when you don't feel comfortable with it.

lloydsw

Reaction score
I rooted because a couple of apps I wanted required root. It *is* something I approached with great intrepidation since I paid for a retail phone to keep my unlimited data. So there was a lot of money on the line if I bricked it.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I have rooted in the past but have not yet rooted my s4. Honestly I do not feel the need to root as of now. My phone does all I need it to do the way it is. She I'll get bored at some point and root but who knows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i have rooted every smart phone i bought, and never had an issue arise from having root or the root process.
imo, the majority of the time people have problems with the rooting process is because they dont read, and re-read if necessary or ask questions first, the instructions before they start.
an ever growing percentage of the community in general is moving towards a "i want it now" mentality, dam the learning process, just gimme gimme gimme.
which inevitably leads to post like "OMG root broke my phone". i can definitely understand why many wouldn't want to do it seeing post like this.
another thing that gives root a bad name is, we frequently dont get the hole story behind a rooting issue. what i mean is, someone will root, then start deleting bloat etc. or using a root app they dont understand how it works, break the phone, and just post something like "omg i rooted my phone now its broken" (leaving out all the juicy details of what they did after they rooted).
now from an inexperienced users view point root is really looking scary i agree, but 99% of the time root had nothing to do with the issue(s) at hand. the problem(s) are almost always from user error, for the simple fact that thousands have done it without issue.

rooting your phone does nothing more than give you SuperUser permissions, its what you do with the permission that either gives you a better user experience or breaks your phone.

im not trying to sway anyone to or from rooting, this post is nothing more than a brief summary of facts gathered through my experience from helping people un-break their phones over the past few years.

thanks for reading :)