Is there a problem with the razr's sensors and Google Sky Map / Google Earth?

mastacox

Reaction score
For some reason Google Earth and Google Sky Map don't work properly in "look around" mode using the phone's compass and accelerometer. Is there a known problem? As far as I can tell the hardware is OK because everything seems to check out in GPS Status' calibration functions... Is there a calibration step I have to go through or something?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

chiehkai

Reaction score
The compass on Razr does have problems with Google applications at the moment, check this vid for proof :

[video=youtube;1wD7IYQYHJ0]http://youtu.be/1wD7IYQYHJ0?hd=1[/video]

armus

Reaction score
The compass has never been used in Google Maps. It always works off the direction traveled. If you had moved around the room, it woud have corrected itself.

the compass app works for me but my big issue is Google Sky and even the alternative planetarium app SkEye. Both seem to use some method for accessing the compass that does not work. I can turn the phone around and around and it stays put on one direction, usually East. This is a major flaw in my opinion.

toyotaking88

Reaction score
Ya my compass works in Google maps. I can turn Google maps on and spin my phone any direction and the arrow will point where ever I am pointing my phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gling

Reaction score
The compass has never been used in Google Maps. It always works off the direction traveled. If you had moved around the room, it woud have corrected itself.

the compass app works for me but my big issue is Google Sky and even the alternative planetarium app SkEye. Both seem to use some method for accessing the compass that does not work. I can turn the phone around and around and it stays put on one direction, usually East. This is a major flaw in my opinion.

Agree, it's a shame that coming from my OG Droid where Google Sky worked flawlessly, to a new phone with all this power, big bright screen, but the compass won't work properly. My nephew tried using Sky tonight and was asking why it wouldn't rotate when he turned. I didn't know about the problem until I ran across this thread. Hopefully it's fixed with the soon to be released update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

toyotaking88

Reaction score
Did you try downloading a compass only app in the marketplace and see if the compass works properly in it.

busab

Reaction score
I just posted the same question in the Razr general topics area before i seen this thread.

I am having the exact same problem. Hope it gets fixed soon. This is a huge flaw to me. I use that application quite often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

chiehkai

Reaction score
So you guys don't have any problems with the pointer direction in Google Maps? That's kinda wired, the pointer isn't working properly on my Razr.

I think Google Maps does use compass to know which direction you're facing. I tested my previous phone (Xperia Arc) by standing in the exact same position and turning around (phone held vertically), the pointer in Google Maps moves and maintain the same direction where the phone is pointing to.

haproot

Reaction score
In google maps the direction is not showing properly for me as well. I used a compass app and it seems to be pretty close. Even after doing the figure 8 calibration google maps is still off.

chiehkai

Reaction score
I just done a hard reset on my Razr, however it didn't fix the problem. Why would it work fine for some members when its software related?

Google Sky Map and SkEye doesn't work properly either.

mhogan

Reaction score
What a disappointment this doesn't work for the Razr. This is the app that make me want to buy a smart phone. The GPS functions and compass seem to work well in other programs for me. I saw in another thread that it took an OS upgrade to fix this for the Incredible 2.

OP
M

mastacox

Reaction score
Oh well its a small issue, I assume a fix will get released either with the Google apps or maybe an OTA update.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
My compass in GPS status is showing correct, but in maps or google earth I am not seeing a directional pointer at all, correct direction or otherwise?

OP
M

mastacox

Reaction score
It's going to take a software patch by Google I think. The hardware seems to work fine in GPS status so it's just a bug AFAIK.