Is there a new Android phone out that actually works?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for 20 months now and just became eligible for an upgrade. I have been considering the X2, Inc2 or D3, leaning to one of the last 2. My Droid has been working without any problems for the entire time, except about a year ago it became very slow, but that was fixed with a factory reset and switching to Go Launcher EX.

As I research these phones I keep reading about all the problems that people are having with them. Are they really that bad? Both my Droid and my wife's Ally have been trouble free. They are not nearly as fast as the new phones, but at least they work all the time. Are all the problems with the new phones related to all the crap that the manufactures are putting on them, as opposed to the stock Android that is on our current phones. I know that I pretty much hate Blur, although HTC Sense seems better to me. The latest Inc2 update seems to have done nothing to fix the alarm and other problems.

Is there a phone on Verizon that works as well as the Droid? Forget speed. Speed does me no good if apps don't work - if my mail is screwed up or the alarm doesn't work or whatever.

alboboy10

Reaction score
People just like to complain a lot. Most androids are fine. There's always problems with smart phones...get yourself a phone and enjoy it.

BetoVazq

Reaction score
Any phone is going to have problems ...but for what I've seen I think the DROID 3 is the best phone to go with.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

smed1275

Reaction score
I love my D3! Had it just over 2 weeks now am loving it. Very fast and responsive. Much better then my rooted D1 running SS or BB. I havnt had a single FC or reboot. The keyboard kicks butt. I couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tonydelite

Reaction score
This is a forum that people go to for help, so most of the threads are going to be about problems people are having. You're not going to get too many people posting "Hi everyone, just got my Droid 3, and everything works great. Just sayin!"

For what its worth though, I have a Droid 3 and everything works great. Just sayin. :)

kookk

Reaction score
Most work just fine. Here you have problem threads and nit pickers. I can nit pick an inc2 all day long but my mother and sister absolutely loves theirs. Its all about who is using the phone and what for.

Sent from my ThunderBolt

canitovega

Reaction score
New to the whole Droid experience. My first smartphone which is the thunderbolt. Looooove the phone ,could not see how this thing could ever go bad haha.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
They're right, every phone has its issues...as for new phones, it depends on what you want...if you don't care about 4g then I think the Droid 3 is your best bet
...if you DO want 4g then pick between the thunderbolt (powerful and good speed, reboot issues that are still being worked on and poor battery life) or the Droid charge (awesomely colorful screen and good battery life but not as fast or powerful) OR if you can wait a little longer then the Droid bionic is going to be coming before too long (hopefully) and the specs so far sound pretty awesome

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kookk

Reaction score
Thunderbolt reboot issues have been fixed btw

Sent from my ThunderBolt

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I guess there were similar stories about the Droid and the Ally, but we haven't had a serious problem with either. I like the D3, but wife likes the Inc2. We will be eligible for another upgrade in 8 months and we will probably have 4G by then. The advantage of the Inc2 is that she would want it and then I can get whatever is the best 4G phone in 8 months. Besides, Amazon has the Inc2 for $80 for a family plan upgrade.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I guess there were similar stories about the Droid and the Ally, but we haven't had a serious problem with either. I like the D3, but wife likes the Inc2. We will be eligible for another upgrade in 8 months and we will probably have 4G by then. The advantage of the Inc2 is that she would want it and then I can get whatever is the best 4G phone in 8 months. Besides, Amazon has the Inc2 for $80 for a family plan upgrade.

8 months? Wow, by then we'll probably have the Droid 4, Droid X3, and the Dinc 3 coming out and maybe even quad core phones lol

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As I research these phones I keep reading about all the problems that people are having with them. Are they really that bad?
Many devices "actually work".

What you need to keep in mind is that posts on any discussion forum site (not just Droids/smartphones but any product out there) will be skewed as posters will post because they have a problem. It's extremely rare for people to make "All is well" posts. Don't count on posts for any sort of statistical analysis. I frequent forums not only for my Droid but for my cars, my espresso equipment, my Tivo, my shaving gear, etc. If I made assessments solely on discussion forum posts I wouldn't own anything as every product would appear to be extremely faulty.

Forum posts don't account for the countless users who don't even use forum sites so consider that as well. You're dealing with an extremely limited sample (look at the number of registered users versus total sales figures for all devices discussed here) on top of a medium that skews posts towards complaints.

This is why statisticians specialize in their field. They need to be able to account for such biases.

Both my Droid and my wife's Ally have been trouble free.
That should be your clue. Have you not seen the countless posts by people with Droids and Allys that do have problems? It's like that with any model (or any product as stated above). Again, people post when they have problems or questions.

Olmanrivah

Reaction score
The secret with Androids is getting the right Apps and tweaking......;)