Is there a GPS tracking app that works on top of google maps?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by rlb, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rlb

rlb New Member

Like My Tracks, that also allows you to view a saved google map at the same time? My tracks would be perfect for me if I could view a google map at the same time its logging my track.

I have a planned cycling route saved as a google map. I also want to track the actual route that I take (so the profile, avg speed etc is logged). I want to be able to see my planned route and have the map refresh to show my current location, like it does when you're using my tracks. Viewing the map in the native google maps app works, but it does not automatically pan the map to keep up with your moving location.
  2. griz8791

griz8791 New Member

Check out OruxMaps and/or Maverick.

I haven't spent much time with either of these yet because it isn't exactly hiking season where I am, but I know Orux will plot and display your track on top of a Google map. It will also import "routes" created with Garmin software and display those on top of a Google map.

I would be surprised if either of these allowed you to "save" the map with the track.
  3. rlb

rlb New Member

Thanks. I took a brief look at both, but they seem a bit more "heavy" than what I'm looking for.

I like the simplicity of MyTracks since it runs right on top of maps. I just wish it had the full maps capability, such as displaying additional layers.

If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them
  4. Nissan1973

Nissan1973 New Member

Check out SportsTracker

GPS sports app. Running, cycling, mountain bike, mtb, ski, snowboard, sail, windsurf, kayak, gliding, yachting, kiteboarding, car racing, motor cycle, jogging, triathlon, cardio train, run, race..

sportstracklive.com - share, train and compete in your sport

Share my tracks, performance and personal bests via email, facebook, twitter and widgets (Pro only)

It overlays the route you took on top of Google Maps and has Charts, and it tells you basically everything stats wise.
  5. rlb

rlb New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Upon further research I found that I already have everything I need.

If you press"My location" in the maps app, the map will auto-pan to follow you (I was unaware of this, and I don't know how since I usually press it...). So, I can pull up a google map that has my pre-defined route and use that to follow along.

In the background, My Tracks records everything.

Thanks!
Search tags for this page
android gps aps for running and kayaking
best droid app gps for biking directions
best droid gps for kayak app
best gps app for kayaking android
best gps tracker on google map software
bike/ kayak tracking app
droid app for tracking canoe trip
droid gps app that allows track import
google gps for kayaking
ipod mountain bike gps apps