Is there a function or an app that can turn off and turn on power at a fixed time?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Is there a function or an app that can turn off and turn on power at a fixed time? I want to turn off my phone at 1AM and turn on my phone at 6AM automatically. Using S4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure about turning it off, but I believe if you set an alarm, the phone will turn back on to sound the alarm. Haven't turned it off overnight in forever, so I'm not sure that still works.

Do you mind if I ask why you'd like to shut it off during that time?

There are apps out that can turn off notifications during specific times (some devices even have this functionality baked right in), so I'm wondering if something like that would help you and be easier to setup and use if you don't HAVE to turn the phone off.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is there a function or an app that can turn off and turn on power at a fixed time? I want to turn off my phone at 1AM and turn on my phone at 6AM automatically. Using S4

You might be able to use an app like Tasker to get it to turn off at a specific time, but you won't be able to use an app to get it to turn on a certain time. If the phone isn't already on in some form or fashion, an app or a function can't be running in order to know when to turn it on. There's no way to have an app or function running if the phone really is completely off.

Are you simply trying to block notifications from coming through, or is there a reason you need the phone to be completely off? As Jonny Kansas said, there are ways to easily turn off notifications and sounds during set times. Your S4 should have Blocking Mode built in. You can set it to run at specific times, and it will block all notifications. You can also choose to allow certain types of notifications to still come through if you want to, such as calls from friends or family in case of an emergency. Tasker will also allow you to do that, and it will give you even more options for what you're able to do.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I am turning off my phone during sleeping to save battery power and reduce radiation since I am not using it when sleeping.

1. When you use Blocking Mode, if a new notification arrives (e.g. sms/chat message/missed call), does it mean it will only reach into your phone when you on the phone? I my phone was in Blocking Mode for too many hours, will the message "disappear" (does not appear in my phone when I turn on phone), I wonder if the system keep trying to resend to my phone but could not reach my phone since my phone is in Blocking Mode.

2. When you turn off the phone, if a new notification arrives (e.g. sms/chat message/missed call), does it mean it will only reach into your phone when you on the phone? If my phone was off for too many hours, will the message "disappear" (does not appear in my phone when I turn on phone), I wonder if the system keep trying to resend to my phone but could not reach my phone since my phone is in off.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nothing will disappear either way. I always charge mine at night, so conserving battery isn't an issue for me.

Blocking mode simply silences all notifications & (on some phones) turns off the notification light. They will still show in your notification bar, but you won't know they're there unless you turn the screen on to check.

By messages, I'm assuming you mean texts. If someone sends you a text while the phone is off, you will be notified one it is turned on. They won't just disappear. The same goes for any other messages or notifications

An alternative to blocking mode & turning the phone off that might help you is airplane mode. That will turn off the mobile antenna, as if you shut the phone off. This will conserve battery & radiation (though radiation has never been a concern for me) & it's quicker to turn airplane mode on at bedtime & off when you wake up than to turn the phone off & on.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Is there a way to turn on airplane mode at 1AM and turn off airplane mode at 6AM automatically?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn on airplane mode at 1AM and turn off airplane mode at 6AM automatically?
You can do that with the app called Airplane Mode Timer by UsefulThings on the Play Store. It's free.
The app,Tasker, mentioned above can do the same thing but it has a huge learning curve to make it work how you want.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of others,I just used that as an example to get you started

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

There are a bunch of others,I just used that as an example to get you started

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

From the looking around that I've done, it appears there aren't any apps that will reliably turn airplane mode on or off at specified times if you're using a device that's running KitKat or newer (possibly Jelly Bean as well). This is do to changes Google made in the system. Not even Tasker will do it. In order to do what dfman wants, it looks like a rooted device will be necessary.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
From the looking around that I've done, it appears there aren't any apps that will reliably turn airplane mode on or off at specified times if you're using a device that's running KitKat or newer (possibly Jelly Bean as well). This is do to changes Google made in the system. Not even Tasker will do it. In order to do what dfman wants, it looks like a rooted device will be necessary.

I agree. It seems like no airplane mode apps in the play store is working.

My device is not rooted. I do not intend to root as I am not a tech savvy person.

Just curious, after rooting do you still need an app to turn on/off airplane mode automatically? or the function is in the rooted phone?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bummer
I wonder how much of that Tasker not working is on them. I used it on my Note2 until its last update. I used it to kill the camera sound and after it updated that task no longer worked. No firmware difference on the phone, just Tasker changed.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just curious, after rooting do you still need an app to turn on/off airplane mode automatically? or the function is in the rooted phone?

You'll need an app. Rooting phone doesn't automatically add new or different features to a device. It allows you to access parts of the system that you normally can't access, but you'll need tools to access those parts. In this case, you'll need an app.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Bummer
I wonder how much of that Tasker not working is on them. I used it on my Note2 until its last update. I used it to kill the camera sound and after it updated that task no longer worked. No firmware difference on the phone, just Tasker changed.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Considering it was a system change by Google to the way Android works that protected airplane mode, and that no other app can do it without root either, I'd say none of it is on Tasker for this particular function.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Considering it was a system change by Google to the way Android works that protected airplane mode, and that no other app can do it without root either, I'd say none of it is on Tasker for this particular function.
That's the thing. My Note2 had Kit Kat and it worked fine until Tasker updated.
I agree with the Google being the culprit in the case of the no airplane mode timer but thought Tasker used to be the work around for those that didn't root. I guess blocking mode is about as good as it gets now without root, though a far cry from what the op desires.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4