Is there a fix for the camera?

sstamilio

Reaction score
I tried Vignette and at 3.1 it really is enough better than the stock camera to justify the $5 freight. I would not mind paying for an App that would make the Droid's camera work nearly as good a my Omnia's did.

hacku

Reaction score
No fix as of yet. No matter what app you purchase the pictures will still come out dark. Motorola or someone else needs to lower the LUX level to allow more light to come in.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
i like the pro zoom app.
it's more like a real camera- not perfect but better than the stock one.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll take speed over brightness. Little kids and animals refuse to sit still for the time it takes to push the button until the time the picture is taken.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll take speed over brightness. Little kids and animals refuse to sit still for the time it takes to push the button until the time the picture is taken.

Yes, taking pictures of my parrots is a challenge. Try getting a bird to sit still for a couple of seconds. It's not easy.

Reaction score
this is why the camera is useless especially to people that want to take picutres of moving things.

the video camera i think is great however, unless you need zoom then its :(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is why the camera is useless especially to people that want to take picutres of moving things.

I wouldn't go so far as to say useless, and actually I don't think it's quite that bad as people make out. Comparing it to the cameral that came with my first blackberry storm, with almost the original OS it is dramatically better.

Could stand improvement.

But if you ever have that car accident and need to take a picture of damages, it would be perfect for that. ;)

Reaction score

I wouldn't go so far as to say useless, and actually I don't think it's quite that bad as people make out. Comparing it to the cameral that came with my first blackberry storm, with almost the original OS it is dramatically better.

Could stand improvement.

But if you ever have that car accident and need to take a picture of damages, it would be perfect for that. ;)

for one i hope i dont have an accident but thats about all it would be good for in my case.

i like to take alot pics of the kids to send out and unfortunately even in daylight i find the pictures arent that good because they are running around too much so i really dont rely on it ever anymore :(

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We were on vacation and the video camera was great to take 60 second panoramic views. I've found the video camera also takes a tad longer than I'd like to start recording from when I push the button too though. The quality of the video is great, no complaints there. While it is a tiny camera and we are stuck with the low light situation I would think software could speed up the shutter issue. The image IS in focus. I want to click and have it take the pic. The auto focus should happen before I push the shutter button so that shouldn't be part of the reason for the delay (if it is).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We were on vacation and the video camera was great to take 60 second panoramic views. I've found the video camera also takes a tad longer than I'd like to start recording from when I push the button too though. The quality of the video is great, no complaints there. While it is a tiny camera and we are stuck with the low light situation I would think software could speed up the shutter issue. The image IS in focus. I want to click and have it take the pic. The auto focus should happen before I push the shutter button so that shouldn't be part of the reason for the delay (if it is).

When we had the Blackberry Storm it had terrible, and I mean terrible shutter speed. It took about 5 seconds before the shutter would go off. They fixed that with software updates, I'm certain that the same thing can be done for the Droid.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I doubt if there will be a good fix for the shutter issue (which is called "shutter lag"). Even "real" cameras - like the point & shoot ones - have shutter lag. The only way to get rid of it is to spend the big bugs for a DSLR.

But I do agree that the onboard camera has issues. My Razr took better photos than my Droid does. That being said, since I have cameras lying around, I rarely use the camera on the phone.

I mean really. When you can go out and buy a digital point & shoot camera about the same size as the Droid, and get better photos, who needs the in-phone camera? :D

KevinJ

Reaction score
Umm... yeah.

I carry a small point & shoot camera with me at all times. Sure, there's a camera in the phone, but I'd rather have a camera that gives consistent good results. You never know when you'll need it - be it an accident, or something that you notice and you want a photo of.

A few weeks ago I was following a car and it had a funny bumper sticker. So I grabbed the camera off the seat next to me and took a quick pic. If I would have had to mess with the phone to activate the camera, and then wait for focus, and then wait for the shutter lag, I would have missed the opportunity.

And last fall someone backed their car right into my Dad's van. They didn't even look. I was riding with him, so I immediately got out and photographed the damage, plus her license plate.

So yeah, I think a real camera's more important that the one in the phone. My opinion only. At least on this forum. :)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The only thing I use the Droid camera for is when I need to take a quick snap of some data that I don't feel like writing down, or my daughter on occasion.

Thats all I use any camera on a phone for, is a tool, not for recreation, or saving moments in time. That, I will use a real camera for.

Robster

Reaction score
I have found that by putting the Camera's 'Scene Mode' into 'Action', it will take much better shots of movement. Very acceptable to me. The only negative is that you cannot use the flash while in this mode.