Is the X2 really future proof?

Robotica

Reaction score
After reading how disappointed people are with the device, I really started to wonder. I mean, I was debating this as my next device (my first smartphone), but with so many of the bad things being said about it, is it really worth the trouble?

Then I read an article that stated that Ice Cream (the update after gingerbread, which has yet come to this device for some reason) is going to be made for TI processors, which is not the processor in he X2.

Will this device really be worth anything two years from now? Sure it has the dual core, but that seems to be all that's going for it.

That being said, I really love the design of the device. I love the rectangular look of it; unlike the very rounded design of most of the other devices on the market. I've had my eye set on it since before it came out just BECAUSE if the design, but it seems to have not lived up to the expectation of being the most BAFM phone's successor. (Keep in mind, I;ve also been hearing REALLY good things about the device, as well.)

So what do you guys think? Will it really be worth it in the long haul?

yutzybrian

Reaction score
I would reccomend waiting for another dual core phone with TI. Google decided that Nvidia wasnt being innovative enough so they shifting focus on TIs OMAP lineup. If youre looking for a new phone now id go with the Charge. I already ordered one off of ebay to replace my X2. 4G and more development possibility.

Posting from the X2

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
A lot of it depends on what is important to you. Do you need a ffc or 4G? If not, this phone will be able to run any software that comes out for some time. I'd say go to the store and play with one to see if you like it. I know reading about problems and bugs can make you hesitant but I'd say a vast majority of the phones are just fine. Worst case, you just keep exchanging at a vzw store until you get a good functioning unit.

armopride07

Reaction score
yea like tgyberg said, a vast majority of phones are fine, such as mine. i currently have one (upgraded from Droid 1) and am completely in love. if you're willing to pay for 4g and want that extra data package, then go ahead but if you want to sacrifice a data package for an extra core, then the x2 is your phone. i have no regrets getting mine since there wil eventually be some roms for this phone which can have the AOSP base of Ice Cream. if you're itchin to get a phone now, then get an x2. if you have patience, then wait and see what comes out. just remember, we're always waiting for the next best thing to come out while something just as good is infront of us.

OP
Robotica

Robotica

Reaction score
Well my reason for posting wasn't because I want the newest, latest and greatest device out there, it was more because I was thinking ahead to the future. I mean, I could always look to other devices, but my thinking is that I'm going to have the phone for 20 months at the very least, I want to have a phone that I have a good feelings will be able to keep up with updates for as long as it can (whether or not it gets the updates because it hasn't been pushed to the phone yet is another story entirely. I want to make sure the phone CAN have the update without the need to root).

Personally, I have no clue how to root a phone. I've never worked with any android device, and the closest thing I've done to rooting is jailbreaking an iPod that no longer was able to be updated. Besides, the way I see it, rooting can give you the update, but if the phone is relatively new, why should I have to root? I'm sure though, with the help of this community, rooting wouldn't be too hard.

Also, just as a side note, FFC and 4G dont seem too important to me. Unless Verizon forces me to get away from 3G, it's speeds seem more than enough for me. :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It sounds like you may at least consider rooting at some point. That would for sure future proof you for a longer period of time. I had the Droid 1 for a year and never rooted it or wanted to. Now I have the X and after a bunch of research (reading and watching youtube vids) I have my phone rooted and rom'd. I'm kicking myself for not getting to this a year ago! It is really fun to learn and experiment! Just take your time and lean on the folks in this forum. You will get rescued if you hit a bump!

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea like tgyberg said, a vast majority of phones are fine, such as mine. i currently have one (upgraded from Droid 1) and am completely in love. if you're willing to pay for 4g and want that extra data package, then go ahead but if you want to sacrifice a data package for an extra core, then the x2 is your phone. i have no regrets getting mine since there wil eventually be some roms for this phone which can have the AOSP base of Ice Cream. if you're itchin to get a phone now, then get an x2. if you have patience, then wait and see what comes out. just remember, we're always waiting for the next best thing to come out while something just as good is infront of us.

The likelihood of the X2 ever getting a AOSP ROM is slim to none. AOSP ROMS depend on the ability to run a AOSP kernel and unless the bootloader gets either a) cracked b) unlocked by Motorola, this simply will never happen.

On topic:

I love my X2, and I'm sure it will hold up for 20 months, if not longer. Gingerbread is just a matter of time and I see no reason it won't (eventually) run ice cream sandwich.
Sent from my DROID X2

Last edited:

music life

Reaction score
I also love my X2. Have had very few problems with it. Im waiting for the good 4g phones. Not last years tech in new phones (tb and charge) but more I use the x2 more I think I will just keep it

Sent from my DROID X2

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

The likelihood of the X2 ever getting a AOSP ROM is slim to none. AOSP ROMS depend on the ability to run a AOSP kernel and unless the bootloader gets either a) cracked b) unlocked by Motorola, this simply will never happen.

On topic:

I love my X2, and I'm sure it will hold up for 20 months, if not longer. Gingerbread is just a matter of time and I see no reason it won't (eventually) run ice cream sandwich.
Sent from my DROID X2

I'm pretty sure you would like Liberty, its been a huge hit on the X1. As far as I know, there are some devs starting to work on the X2.

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
I've just bought my X2 and I've in love with it. I upgraded from a D1. Which I still love as well. lol. But any app that you can think of (Besides the app that require rooting) The X2 can easily run it. But then again, I don't know what apps are out there. But the Dual Core is a assurance that it can run about anything. I've only had a few days of time with my X2 and see improvements already. and more great news is that it will get Gingerbread. Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich as well. But I'm sorry that I couldn't tell you much. Like I said, It's new to me too. I just threw in my two cents.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am really looking forward to my 3 or 4 month run with the X2. I am lucky I guess and am getting one as a free upgrade that didn't require me to renew my contract and I was able to retain my available upgrade so I plan on using it as soon as the D3 drops.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I would reccomend waiting for another dual core phone with TI. Google decided that Nvidia wasnt being innovative enough so they shifting focus on TIs OMAP lineup. If youre looking for a new phone now id go with the Charge. I already ordered one off of ebay to replace my X2. 4G and more development possibility.

Posting from the X2

All I gotta say about the Charge = SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWERRRRRRRR than heck. To OP there is no device that is truly future proof, the minute the "latest and greatest" comes out and into your hands, it no longer is the latest and greatest, welcome to the world of technology :).

Last edited:

kylekruchok

Reaction score
Since upgrading from a RAZR on T-Mobile, the DX2 is pretty much heaven. I think the next two years with this device will fly by. Bugs and all.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah for a least 6 months and then you're on your own.