Is the stock battery on this thing supposed to be lousy?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I just bought an OG Droid the other day, I consider this thing a relic, the Holy Grail of Verizon Android phones.

Anyway I'm overclocked to 800mhz (I hear it can go to 1Ghz somehow?) on CM7.1 and the battery life is obviously pretty lousy. I can't say exactly how long the battery is lasting but it feels worse than stock Thunderbolt battery, which barely gets one through the day checking the time and googling pages a grand total of 8 times in a day.

So would you guys consider battery life decent, I mean also considering that you probably need a new battery after what, 3 years?

EDIT: 888th post!

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
When I had mine, which was a while ago, I used to get a whole day out of it. I would definitely say it is due to the battery being so old. At this point if it is the stock one it is over 2 years old.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Last I remember people got the OG DROID up to around 1.3GHz.

As for the battery. The OG was never really anything to write home about. If you want to you can get another battery. You can go to verizonwireless.com and buy the standard battery for the DROID PRO for around $40. Pro and OG have the same standard battery.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I would also check Amazon, they used to have them dirt cheap on there. Like less then $10 with shipping cheap.

vey

Reaction score
My experience with phone batteries in general is that they only last 2 years or so. Should make people wonder why they are buying a phone that doesn't come with a way to change the battery.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That would make me nervous as well. But I have to admit I rarely make it anywhere near the 2 year mark with a phone. So taking that into consideration I guess it should not be an issue for me lol.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Alright I got one for like $6 total (including shipping + tax!) on Amazon, I'll letcha guys know how it works out. But batteries degrade whether in use or not, according to battery university (via Google), so wouldn't this battery be about halfway to lousy (I say halfway because it is supposed to be a new battery, so no charge cycles used)?

As always, thanks for the replies!

By the way- JSM9872, is that a Catcher in the Rye reference I see? lol

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That is a sweet deal and definitely let us know if it helps. And I wish I could claim to be that clever... but I can not.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well I couldn't tell if autocorrect changed "hell" to "well", the main character of that book always says things like "makes me nervous as hell", "...as hell". Good book lol

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ahh I see what you were looking at now. I read it a few years ago in high school, would not mind reading it again!

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Haha... well I got the new battery today, naturally there is improvement, like I don't lose ten percent reading the news for ten minutes. Of course I haven't used it a whole lot, so not much detail, but yeah, it's considerably better! And again, like $6 total, I forget the exact amount.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Glad to hear it seems to have been worth it. Worst case scenario you have a spare battery now for real cheap.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Haha... well I got the new battery today, naturally there is improvement, like I don't lose ten percent reading the news for ten minutes. Of course I haven't used it a whole lot, so not much detail, but yeah, it's considerably better! And again, like $6 total, I forget the exact amount.

I do suggest you charge the new battery once while the phone is powered off. To do this, power the phone off first, then plug in the charger. You'll eventually see a large battery on the display with the current charge level and animated liquid representing the levels. Make sure the battery reaches 100% before you remove from charge and power it up. This will set the battery meter properly calibrated for the new battery's higher capacity. Then use it till the phone signals "low battery" at 15% and the meter will have a valid reference for the battery's minimum threshold.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dave Lister

Reaction score
The charging method you describe won't work on the original Droid, which always powers on when it's plugged in.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I think he means keep it on the charger till 100%. Anyways I've always been iffy on how Li-Ions do their thing, I thought battery meter was based on info directly from the battery?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums