Is the S3 for me?

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on the S3. I currently have an HTC Incredible that isn't so Incredible anymore. The S3 and the IPhone get high marks but my local Verizon Rep is suggesting that I look at the Razr M too. Granted that no cell phone is perfect otherwise we would only have one choice. Can those that have the S3 give me some pro's and con's to consider? I'm really looking for something that does voice, texting, email, navigation, and internet well. The phone also needs to have good reception, good sound quality and no qwirkiness.

Reaction score
I just upgraded from the Droid X to a S3 and I really love the S3. It is faster and much better than my Droid X if that helps at all. I don't think that you will be very happy with the S3.

npro1464

Reaction score
Dont get the M. If you're going to get a Razr make it the Razr Maxx HD. Theyre all great phones, so it's ultimately up to u. The S3 has the best screen real estate, the most popular Android phone, and has touchwiz. The hd has the worst camera, the best battery, best screen, much less dev support but is pretty much stock. The iPhone is the iPhone. Both the hd and the s3 have expandable storage, the iPhone does not.

Play with all of them at the store and choose what's good for you. Don't listen to anything a vz rep says.

WestOkid

Reaction score
In all fairness, the rep may be telling the OP to go with the "M" based on the fact that @Moon is coming from an incredible and considering an iPhone. This suggests screen size was not an issue. This fact, coupled with the OPs stated use patterns (voice, text, email, navigation, Internet) makes a lot of sense. Also, let's not short-change the "M". It has the same CPU and GPU as the S3 and the Maxx HD with less pixels to push, so it can do everything both these phones can do. Although I love my S3 and highly recommend it, the size alone can be a turnoff for some.

OP
Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Dont get the M.

What is your justification for not going with the M? There's a lot of resources that suggest that the M would be an excellent choice given how I use my phone. If you have a legitimate reason for suggesting that I not go with the M, let me know.

P.S. I never listen to any sales reps regardless of what they are selling. I'm intrigued with the M to do research on it but I'm very careful about what I end up picking.

OP
Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Reaction score
In all fairness, the rep may be telling the OP to go with the "M" based on the fact that @Moon is coming from an incredible and considering an iPhone. This suggests screen size was not an issue. This fact, coupled with the OPs stated use patterns (voice, text, email, navigation, Internet) makes a lot of sense. Also, let's not short-change the "M". It has the same CPU and GPU as the S3 and the Maxx HD with less pixels to push, so it can do everything both these phones can do. Although I love my S3 and highly recommend it, the size alone can be a turnoff for some.

Thanks for the reply. I think the rep was suggesting the M based on the overall size of the phone not based on OS. I'm kind of an Apple hater as I don't like how their stuff is always somehow restricted or closed ended. I would go with the Windows phone as well if I thought Microsoft was in it to win it but the jury is still out on that. That leave an Android phone and the fact that the M has Jelly Bean installed is a plus. Also since Motorola is now owned by Google I'm a bit comfortable that the M should work well with the Android OS. I test drove the S3 for about 2 weeks and loved it but it's also a bit of overkill for my needs. That being said, I have not ruled out the S3 but I did have a number of system hangs on the phone that concerned me a bit.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
If screen size does not bother you check out the note 2. It is a S 3 on steroids. I have a S3 and a note 2 and the note 2 beats it in every possible way.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
You can't go wrong with any of them. I have the S3 .. never played with the other 2 but based on reviews they are all excellent devices.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It even looks the same, and it does have a better processor. Comes with wacom stylus, which I'm a bit envious of.

The thing is giant though, more of a tablet with access to cellular internet.

When I first read that I thought you said it came with a wagon.. sorry was funny :)

WestOkid

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think the rep was suggesting the M based on the overall size of the phone not based on OS. I'm kind of an Apple hater as I don't like how their stuff is always somehow restricted or closed ended. I would go with the Windows phone as well if I thought Microsoft was in it to win it but the jury is still out on that. That leave an Android phone and the fact that the M has Jelly Bean installed is a plus.

Given your needs, I would say go with the "M". As for the Google-Motorola connection. The influence is all over the "M". The lack of hardware buttons, the minimal skin, the quick JB release; things look promising for Moto. I had a Razr prior to the S3. It was an OK device, but I hated having a bad camera on my smart phone. Your "M" will suffer from those same genes. Outside of that, Moto makes excellent phones.

Brian72

Reaction score
I'll chime in having just gone through the same decision making process and settling on the S3.

To me the Razr M was a bit cheap looking. Very nice screen and decent specs but it's clear Motorola just wanted to get something out there that was iPhone sized. The fit and finish for me was nowhere near the iPhone, S3, or Maxx HD. I eliminated the iPhone 5 based on four issues: small screen, no memory expansion, maps fiasco (although Google Maps is once again available), and the lack of customization that you get with Android. My wife actually got the iPhone 5 and likes it, although she complains about the keyboard after getting used to Swiftkey on her old Fascinate.

I then eliminated the Maxx HD based on the onscreen buttons reducing screen space while browsing, non-removable though much bigger battery, inferior camera (I actually think the S3 has a better camera than the iPhone), 1GB RAM compared to 2GB on the S3, and a few other things I seem to be forgetting.

If I could make the perfect phone I'd start with the S3, put Motorola radios in it, and add an HDMI output, avoiding the $40 cost for the HDMI adapter. I've been very happy with my decision thus far, and added a 64gb SD card which contains my entire music library and about 30 movies, with room to spare.

npro1464

Reaction score
On the M- The M is about to get refreshed with an HD screen- at least wait until then. I hear you on screen size, but once you hold an S3 in your hands and put it in your pocket your mind will change- it's barely there. The HD feels even better in your hands, although it has a little more weight. But unless your a girl who wears tight pants with no pocketbook, you'll never feel inconvenienced by the sizes of the S3 or HD.

I know I'll be making even more enemies by saying this, but stay away from the DNA as well- the battery is terrible and it has no expandable storage.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I actually read the DNA battery life wasn't bad. Slightly better than the S3, which isn't all that bad either, but not even close to the Razr Maxx. However I could never use a phone without removable storage, I switch out SD cards on occasion depending on the day or where I'm going.

Also I remember my switch from the Inc2 to the X2. I was blown away at the difference in screen size. As I was nearing the end of my 2 weeks I was thinking about switching out the X2, but when I went back, none of the phones felt right and there were only two or three other 4.3 inch screens. I realized I could never go back. Moral of the story, is it's weird at first, but you adjust in no time.

Having said that, as much as I LOVE the note 2, it's too big. .2 inches can make a big difference. You feel it way more in your pocket as you walk around than my S3, which I actually don't even notice. I mean the note 2 is like almost half the size of my entire thigh! So it's great, but it is big. The S3 is so sleek IMO it comes off as 4.5in more than 4.8, which isn't a bad thing.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Edit: Also in my opinion, all smartphone batteries suck. The Maxx is the closest we have to how it should be, but even with heavy use you can wear it down in a day.

As someone who LOVES their S3, theres two things I dislike, both are physical. The placement of the volume/lock buttons. I always hit the bottom volume button when trying to lock my phone. It's just wear my middle finger lands as I push the power button with my thumb. It's gotten pretty annoying, but nothing I can do about it so I just have to adjust. Same with the power plug. I think it's so much better on the side, cause you can actually use it for support when holding your phone in any direction. When it's on the bottom, it does nothing but get in the way.

So two things you can get used to, but I'm still working on it.