Is the old charger rumor true?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have my old droid x charger for the car is that okay ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

The Droid X is a Motorola phone and so is the Razr so there is no compatibility issue. The symptoms I mentioned are not specific to any particular charger brand, and I have found both generic and name-brand chargers which exhibit the mentioned symptoms, as well as some which don't. Just remember, if you take your phone in for repair, make sure you don't tell them you were using a non-approved charger or they may wish to blame the damage to theany non-approved charger brand and void your warranty.

wyld

Reaction score
I use my charger from my Droid x to charge my RAZR and my Jawbone Icon I have chargers and usb cables all over my house from others phones like LG and they all work just fine!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use my charger from my Droid x to charge my RAZR and my Jawbone Icon I have chargers and usb cables all over my house from others phones like LG and they all work just fine!

As the saying goes, "your results may vary", and for charging only, virtually any USB charger should work fine. It has only been while charging and using the phones (D1 & D2) that I have experienced the crazy screen issues. Just keep the fact that you use non-approved chargers to yourself if you have to take the phone in for a charging problem.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
USB stands for universal serial buss. A standard developed to insure consistatcy across devices and connections. I use my OG charger and my old EnV2 charger on my Bionic with no issues. I use a multitude of MonoPrice USBs to connect data and charge. I use a RadioShak car charger. All that being said, I have seen enough posts on the Bionic to know that this doesn't work for everyone for some reason. The Razr may be the same YMMV scenario

pRAZR

Reaction score
I just got a Razr and have been going crazy with these issues, thinking at least any decent USB cable would work. However, I found that if I don't use the Moto charger and Moto USB cable I have trouble getting the phone to charge all the way. Also, I could not make the phone and computer recognize each other to sync USB (so I can download Rhapsody music to my sd card) until I saw a thread here and went out to my car and grabbed the USB cable the Razr came with and, voila, instant sync!

Luvmyphone

Reaction score
I decided to not take any chances after spending so much on the phone. I went to the Verizon store to buy a wall charger. :blink:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got a Razr and have been going crazy with these issues, thinking at least any decent USB cable would work. However, I found that if I don't use the Moto charger and Moto USB cable I have trouble getting the phone to charge all the way. Also, I could not make the phone and computer recognize each other to sync USB (so I can download Rhapsody music to my sd card) until I saw a thread here and went out to my car and grabbed the USB cable the Razr came with and, voila, instant sync!

I used my d2 charger and it worked just fine....I use it on my Sammy gs too..

Tapped by a Razr...
PEACE! ALL!!-------->>>D2D™

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
USB stands for universal serial buss. A standard developed to insure consistatcy across devices and connections....

What you say is correct, to a point. USB standard is for certain specs, but doesn't cover things such as RF inference, voltage and current purity, etc. I did some testing last night with several different charger adapters I have, and found that the non-Motorola/Verizon charger adapters all caused the screen to go bonkers. Swap out them for the approved chargers, the screen responds normally. I plan to take a video of the proof and post it on youtube for everyone to see.

Again, I am not saying this it's the same for all phones, not am I saying it's the same for all Motorola phones, but on the Droid 1 and 2, I can conclusively say it's so. It had been so across many replacements of both models. When I get my RAZR tomorrow, I'll see if it is so with that one as we'll.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
What you say is correct, to a point. USB standard is for certain specs, but doesn't cover things such as RF inference, voltage and current purity, etc. I did some testing last night with several different charger adapters I have, and found that the non-Motorola/Verizon charger adapters all caused the screen to go bonkers. Swap out them for the approved chargers, the screen responds normally. I plan to take a video of the proof and post it on youtube for everyone to see.

Again, I am not saying this it's the same for all phones, not am I saying it's the same for all Motorola phones, but on the Droid 1 and 2, I can conclusively say it's so. It had been so across many replacements of both models. When I get my RAZR tomorrow, I'll see if it is so with that one as we'll.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Its so...lol

Tapped on the edge of a RAZR...

dinzle3490

Reaction score
Personally I would switch chargers on the Droid Razr. I had a hard time with battery life on my razr when I first got it but then I went out to california on a trip and lost the charger. So when I got back, I switched to my old blackberry storm's charger and it seems to have improved battery life on my Razr. It is a 5w 700 mah charger, I don't know if that is higher or lower than the Razrs included charger but it has improved my battery life.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Again, I am not saying this it's the same for all phones, not am I saying it's the same for all Motorola phones, but on the Droid 1 and 2, I can conclusively say it's so. It had been so across many replacements of both models.

I hate to bust your conclusion derived from a couple of D1's, but both MY D1 and Bionic charge/transfer data with no issues on any cable or any charger I described in my post #21 above. I don't doubt that yours has issues. Why some phones only work on only the factory charger/cable and some work on anything is above my paygrade, but both sides of the issue have multiple people posting in multiple threads in this forum.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh I must have read wrong...lol It works flawlessly for charging my D2 and Razr both chargers. I thought he was saying those worked..Not sure if the manufacturer likes the idea but I've had success...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh I must have read wrong...lol It works flawlessly for charging my D2 and Razr both chargers. I thought he was saying those worked..Not sure if the manufacturer likes the idea but I've had success...

And I always use Moto OEM on all my devices...