Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
3MB for a kernel is right. I have no idea about the update.zip for the root as I had to flash in a whole rooted ROM to get root. Maybe there's a data compression routine involved in sending it OTA? Or maybe there's something else added, like busybox. I'm running Cyanogenmod 6.0RC-2 and don't tend to swam ROMs often, so I couldn't say any more than I really have. :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
the update.zip used to get root of 2.1 simply included superuser.apk and su and a couple of files to push those... essentially the same as using adb to push them - so it was tiny... unlike flashing a rooted 2.1 stock "rom", like Pete's or something

the difference between the frg01B that we're running and the one that VZW is sending out could be due to the fact that VZW isn't necessarily replacing the entire OS like we do when we flashed our frg01B "rom"? just speculating...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
the update.zip used to get root of 2.1 simply included superuser.apk and su and a couple of files to push those... essentially the same as using adb to push them - so it was tiny... unlike flashing a rooted 2.1 stock "rom", like Pete's or something

the difference between the frg01B that we're running and the one that VZW is sending out could be due to the fact that VZW isn't necessarily replacing the entire OS like we do when we flashed our frg01B "rom"? just speculating...

Ergo the "update" instead of flashing a complete system replacement. Duh! If we're rooted we're using non-standard recovery images that handle things differently from the stock recovery image. Boy, do I feel bright.

Sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees. Good one, JN!

drpaul07

Reaction score

Ergo the "update" instead of flashing a complete system replacement. Duh! If we're rooted we're using non-standard recovery images that handle things differently from the stock recovery image. Boy, do I feel bright.

Cool. That makes sense.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

i've made enough idiotic comments on here to make up for one relatively intelligent one every now and then ... :)

dan j

Reaction score
Could it also be smaller because Froyo for the D1 appears to have been dumbed down from Google's creation? I'm referring to the wi-fi tethering that's absent from the adds.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Could it also be smaller because Froyo for the D1 appears to have been dumbed down from Google's creation? I'm referring to the wi-fi tethering that's absent from the adds.
It's not dumbed down that much. The WiFi tethering app is minuscule and there really isn't too much more missing.

Thought. Flash is about 10MB. Is it preloaded in the ROM? If so that would account for a good portion of the discrepancy if it's not just the update/ROM thing doing all of it.

Z3R0faith

Reaction score
So..... I'm confused...

Has anyone posted the manual VZW update? If so, could you provide an obvious link?

mattg1

Reaction score
No we probably won't see an update.zip until Tues/Wed at the earliest. It will be here soon enough :icon_ banana:

Z3R0faith

Reaction score
Brutal... I figured, but just wanted to make sure after reading posts saying "found the manual update" and here I am, a frantic squirrel searching the net for it... oi...

Partly because I can't root (insurance) and I'm looking for the performance boost, along with the ability to install to SD and bug fixes... Plus, my dad's Droid is running like garbage and we're hoping his will fix with this update...

Anyway, thanks for verifying!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No we probably won't see an update.zip until Tues/Wed at the earliest. It will be here soon enough :icon_ banana:

lol, the tension is building. How many of you are going to wait for the OTA and who's going to download it off the net?

Z3R0faith

Reaction score
As soon as I hear about it, I'm installing it manually... my dad had to wait 2 weeks before he got his and I just laughed...