Is the Official OTA Froyo FRG01B?

drpaul07

Reaction score
Im hoping someone will get their hands on the update.zip for this. I have been debating on wether or not to install one of the rooted 2.2 roms but I'm going to wait until someone builds a rom off of the newest update.

I am wanting 2.2. But I'd like a fresh rooted version. Not a rom. Plus not all 2.2 roms are stable now.

Yeah i'm stock 2.1 rooted right now, waiting till the ota update comes, and then i'd like to just get the totally stock 2.2 rooted. i prefer being stock, just with root access for the root apps and overclocking

xm, you think there's a difference between getting the legit 2.2 and adding root as opposed to flashing a stock 2.2 rom with root? Thats what it seems like you're saying. Are there any differences between the two?

tonytj

Reaction score
Im still new to this so my terminology may be a lil off.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The Official OTA will NOT have root access. All the ROMS based off the official 2.2 WILL have root access.

There will be no difference except the obvious....one WILL have root and the other will NOT.

drpaul07

Reaction score
The Official OTA will NOT have root access. All the ROMS based off the official 2.2 WILL have root access.

There will be no difference except the obvious....one WILL have root and the other will NOT.

Yes i understand that. But i think what xm is trying to say is it seems he'd rather get the official OTA update (unrooted), and then after that add root himself (using sprecovery and all that), instead of downloading an update.zip that is a stock 2.2 rom with root access. At least thats how i'm understanding it?

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Yes i understand that. But i think what xm is trying to say is it seems he'd rather get the official OTA update (unrooted), and then after that add root himself (using sprecovery and all that), instead of downloading an update.zip that is a stock 2.2 rom with root access. At least thats how i'm understanding it?
the stock 2.2 ROM with root will essentially be the exact same thing as the official though.

adlx21

Reaction score
wait, so let me clarify something.. this official update isn't much of a news for me since I am rooted wit bugless beast 2.2 FRF84B with Chevy kernels... am I correct?

I might as well keep it the way it is now, yah?

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
wait, so let me clarify something.. this official update isn't much of a news for me since I am rooted wit bugless beast 2.2 FRF84B with Chevy kernels... am I correct?

I might as well keep it the way it is now, yah?
correct and then when Pete updates his proprietary files to whatever the official build is you will be good to go....

IanG

Reaction score
Tethering? Hotspot?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. My main thing I want from FroYo is WiFi Hotspot. Doesn't look like it's going to come with FroYo. :icon_evil::icon_evil:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Tethering? Hotspot?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. My main thing I want from FroYo is WiFi Hotspot. Doesn't look like it's going to come with FroYo. :icon_evil::icon_evil:
Or, at least it seems it's not coming to the Droid 1 :(

Even if it does, it's PAY PAY PAY to use it -- at least the official versions of them, if WiFi tethering were to ever make it onto the Droid 1. There are USB tethering apps that don't require root and WiFi tethering apps on the market for rooted phone. Http://code.google.com has one for USB and one for WiFi (essentially the same as on the market but you can get prerelease versions that have more functionality). Check my sig for a direct link to the USB tethering app.

My understanding about the FM radio is there were software issues from day one with it, so Motorola gave up on trying to get it to work when it became obvious it just wasn't going to happen.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The latest leak FRG01B is the official ROM. If anything changed the build number would have changed too but I guess we will find out soon enough. Since the latest leak and OTA supposedly have the same build number I am going to guess that SPRecovery will continue to work as is and the same root method will work.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think what xmguy is saying is he wants a "pure" stock rooted 2.2. In other words, 2.2 stock, and just push superuser and su to it like "pure" 2.1. Might be no difference, but still, I believe that's what he's wanting.

arios825

Reaction score
i just rooted my phone yesterday for barnacle wifi tethering since then ive added a darkedge theme. im on f/w version 2.1 and build ESE81 and i dont even know what that means or the difference of stock or custom roms... what should i know when or if the froyo OTA gets pushed to me in mandatory fashion... what do i expect what do i do... i expect to be out of town next wknd hate to be without the use of my phone if i was to get the update while away from droidforums.net access

xmguy

Reaction score
Im hoping someone will get their hands on the update.zip for this. I have been debating on wether or not to install one of the rooted 2.2 roms but I'm going to wait until someone builds a rom off of the newest update.

I am wanting 2.2. But I'd like a fresh rooted version. Not a rom. Plus not all 2.2 roms are stable now.

Yeah i'm stock 2.1 rooted right now, waiting till the ota update comes, and then i'd like to just get the totally stock 2.2 rooted. i prefer being stock, just with root access for the root apps and overclocking

xm, you think there's a difference between getting the legit 2.2 and adding root as opposed to flashing a stock 2.2 rom with root? Thats what it seems like you're saying. Are there any differences between the two?

I don't know what's been added or removed in roms. I just like stock Google os with root.
No offence to the modders. It's just not my thing.

Differences. Don't know never had a rom.