Is The Nexus 6P The Most Fragile Device Ever?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Nexus devices have never really claimed to be the most robust phones and tablets in the market place. There are plenty of drop videos of devices like the Nexus 7 that show just how fragile Nexus devices can be. I feel like my Nexus 6 by Motorola is pretty tough. I have dropped it more than once and the screen is fine. It is basically mint! Mind you its bee in an Urban Armor Gear Case.

There is a very suspect video circulating the web right now which suggest the Nexus 6P is the most fragile Nexus ever. He first does a pretty major scratch test. He then for some reason does a "flame test" heating up the right edge of the screen with a lighter. I have a feeling this was planned. The next test is an unbox therapy style bend test. Of course the device snaps in half.

A phone's integrity relies on all parts being held together to strengthen the device. A metal frame by itself bends with no issues. The screen by itself would bend with no issues, but when you stack all the parts together the device is much stronger. By melting the devices seal with a lighter the Nexus 6P's integrity was destroyed. Of course the device snapped in half. I am not saying that the phone may still be fragile. I just don't consider this a fair test. No worries I'm sure the video will get hundreds of thousands of views.

Last edited by a moderator:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't consider any of these kinds of tests to be necessary or all that beneficial. These are the "car accidents" of YouTube, completely unnecessary to stop and watch, but people do it anyway and these YouTubers get views for doing so.

Why anyone would take a razor blade, flame, or intentionally bend a device that costs this much is beyond me.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
At the very least it shows how it compares to other phones on the market. If it managed to fare worse than the rest and by a large margin then you can say that it is a more fragile phone than the rest. If no other phone was tested ever, then it would be a stupid test but since most phones have been tested in the same way and all passed better, that has to say something.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I think it's time DMX did a bend test?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I understand the lighter (sort of) as it is suppose to simulate being in extreme heat (ie in the summer with maps going, music, and your phone being hot both internally and externally).

These test may be looking to determine over time how long the device will last. And the bending being in the pocket. The test is to the extreme and with people most likely to have a case and screen protector on this is likely a non factor. None the lease I do like to know how durable a phone is so I know what type of protection I need to purchase for it. A device like the Turbo 2 I am likely to go naked or with a skin.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
with that said I think that bend test was fake.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This thread sounds familiar....

Try cracking the screen first like he did in the video. I think that is what led to the failure.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
with that said I think that bend test was fake.

I usually don't like to call fowl, but I am kind of with you. This test seems a bit off, would like to seem some more reputable people try this.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
This thread sounds familiar....

Try cracking the screen first like he did in the video. I think that is what led to the failure.

The screen provides structural support.
With the screen compromised (cracked) in the scratch test then a bend test is not fair.
A bend test should on be done on a phone with the screen intact; otherwise you are testing something that is not determined.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My reason for calling foul was that if you look at the video he cracked the screen "with his nail". So when he bent the phone the glass should have shattered in pieces first, especially with all those scratches. And even with all the heat you are not bending a metal phone that easy. People had to use force to bend the iPhone 6 during the bendgate, the ease with how that bent look like it was a plastic phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My reason for calling foul was that if you look at the video he cracked the screen "with his nail". So when he bent the phone the glass should have shattered in pieces first, especially with all those scratches. And even with all the heat you are not bending a metal phone that easy. People had to use force to bend the iPhone 6 during the bendgate, the ease with how that bent look like it was a plastic phone.
Quick in the video you can see they are two different phones. One has nexus on the back the other doesn't.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I bought the Nexus Protect for my 6P. It went active yesterday.