Is the Lapdock 500 pro compatible with the Droid Bionic?

jaymarhonda

Reaction score
Sometimes Verizon associates can be so inconsistent in the answers that it is very frustrating. I have been told that the 500 is compatible with the Bionic. Then I have been told that it is only compatible with the Razor and all future motorola phones. Can someone please shed some light on this matter. I had the lapdock 100 for the bionic but it is too small and my large hands keep activating the mouse pad! thanks.

Krazie316

Reaction score
Dissapointed not for Bionic YET

Sometimes Verizon associates can be so inconsistent in the answers that it is very frustrating. I have been told that the 500 is compatible with the Bionic. Then I have been told that it is only compatible with the Razor and all future motorola phones. Can someone please shed some light on this matter. I had the lapdock 100 for the bionic but it is too small and my large hands keep activating the mouse pad! thanks.

I was EXTREMELY, happy to see all the features of this new lapdock and was ready shell out the cash to buy it this Thursday. But upon speaking with Motorola via Live chat. I was told it was only for the RAZR as of now and other phones (INCLUDING the Bionic thankfully)will receive software updates to be compatible with it later.

**PULLS OUT HAIR**

I think all of us Bionic owners were disappointed with our dock because it sucked, keys felt bad and no scroll section or multi-touch. Now a good dock comes out finally and only the RAZR gets it upon launch.

View attachment 43255

twenty5

Reaction score
Any further information on the Bionic / Lapdock 500? I really want to pick one up but would hate to find out it will be months until the bionic is supported.

valkyriemedic

Reaction score
Updated features on standby if using with Bionic

I purchased the Lapdock 500 Pro via Telesales and received it today. Kinda blind on compatibility with my Bionic since they just became available and the stores didn't have them yet to try out. But I could have always returned it...

Basically...the the Bionic will work with the Lapdock 500 just like it will with the Lapdock 100. I did discover though that what Motorola says on their page is correct...the newer features on the 500 (webcam, vga out, ethernet connection, sd card function) do not at this time. Supposedly an update in the future will allow same with the Bionic. I personally checked the webcam and vga out...didnt check the ethernet connection or sd card ...but all seemed to be in line with Motos statements.

This is fine with me:

1) I rarely if ever use a webcam
2) can wait for ethernet (have 4g and unlimited data) and vga out.

The 500 is a big improvement over the Bionic Lapdock and the 100. Bigger screen, full size keyboard, etc.
Like the 100 it will be compatible with future Moto phones with webtop....so this again makes the wait for an update ok for me.
So...if you thought about buying a 100 to use with your Bionic, go ahead and get the 500...same functions (for now) and bigger and better.
Bought mine at 249.99 from Verizon Telesales (had a LivingSocial coupon so had to use Telesales). They matched the Verizon online price. Lapdock 500 currently $249 at Verizon Online...Lapdock 100 and Bionic Lapdock at $199 (only $50 dollars difference!!).

One interesting note...as others have mentioned in regards to the 100. Netflix will show upside down if phone is in the dock or rotated...not sure if this is the lapdock, phone, or the app...screen will play upright on the phone no matter how rotated undocked. Other apps display fine (NFL Network, etc). Might cause a slight inconvenience if trying to work off of your lap and have to have the phone out of the holding tray.

Hope this helps some decide.

Last edited:

poudrely

Reaction score
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...t-phones-can-be-connected-to-lapdock-500-pro?

At this time, Droid RAZR is fully compatible with Lapdock 500 Pro. Droid Bionic can be used with Ladpock 500 Pro to enjoy the larger display, larger keyboard, and webtop functionality, however select new features will require a future software upgrade for full functionality. The features not yet supported by Lapdock 500 Pro with Droid Bionic are the integrated webcam, VGA output, Ethernet connection, and SD card reader.

Krazie316

Reaction score
Good info, thanks for the update. Im going to buy it anyway because I could care less about the webcam, vga out or the sd card. I've got 3 16 Gb micro SD's Im good

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Krazie316

Reaction score
I purchased the Lapdock 500 Pro via Telesales and received it today. Kinda blind on compatibility with my Bionic since they just became available and the stores didn't have them yet to try out. But I could have always returned it...

Basically...the the Bionic will work with the Lapdock 500 just like it will with the Lapdock 100. I did discover though that what Motorola says on their page is correct...the newer features on the 500 (webcam, vga out, ethernet connection, sd card function) do not at this time. Supposedly an update in the future will allow same with the Bionic. I personally checked the webcam and vga out...didnt check the ethernet connection or sd card ...but all seemed to be in line with Motos statements.

This is fine with me:

1) I rarely if ever use a webcam
2) can wait for ethernet (have 4g and unlimited data) and vga out.

The 500 is a big improvement over the Bionic Lapdock and the 100. Bigger screen, full size keyboard, etc.
Like the 100 it will be compatible with future Moto phones with webtop....so this again makes the wait for an update ok for me.
So...if you thought about buying a 100 to use with your Bionic, go ahead and get the 500...same functions (for now) and bigger and better.
Bought mine at 249.99 from Verizon Telesales (had a LivingSocial coupon so had to use Telesales). They matched the Verizon online price. Lapdock 500 currently $249 at Verizon Online...Lapdock 100 and Bionic Lapdock at $199 (only $50 dollars difference!!).

One interesting note...as others have mentioned in regards to the 100. Netflix will show upside down if phone is in the dock or rotated...not sure if this is the lapdock, phone, or the app...screen will play upright on the phone no matter how rotated undocked. Other apps display fine (NFL Network, etc). Might cause a slight inconvenience if trying to work off of your lap and have to have the phone out of the holding tray.

Hope this helps some decide.

I just went to the Verizon Wireless Store last night to pick mine up. Works like a charm with the Bionic. I could really care less about the VGA out, ethernet connection, web cam, or SD reader because the phone has internal memory and came with a 16GB card.

My only problem is trying to figure out how to fix the low memory issue that pops up every once in a while. I'm hoping there will be a FULL Ubuntu hack like there was with the Atrix so that we're not running linux, on top of linux, on top of Android.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Does the 500 work with Bionics extended battery?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

djembeman

Reaction score
SD Card slot does work.

poudrely;[URL="tel:1925736" said:
1925736[/URL]]https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73542/~/what-phones-can-be-connected-to-lapdock-500-pro%3F

At this time, Droid RAZR is fully compatible with Lapdock 500 Pro. Droid Bionic can be used with Ladpock 500 Pro to enjoy the larger display, larger keyboard, and webtop functionality, however select new features will require a future software upgrade for full functionality. The features not yet supported by Lapdock 500 Pro with Droid Bionic are the integrated webcam, VGA output, Ethernet connection, and SD card reader.

I have first hand experience that my 32GB SD card can be read by my phone while docked in the LapDock 500. I actually have my old 32GB Micro SD Card in an SD Card adapter. I was able to see all of the old phone files on it and open files, delete files and save files to it. I tried my 64GB SDXC SD card that I use in my video camera and it couldn't be read. I think that it is a problem with formatting though, not that the phone can't read an SDXC card. I just bought and installed the SanDisk 64GB Micro SDXC card and my Bionic reads that perfectly after formatting it with the phone.

To answer someone else's question, whether or not you have a regular battery or extended battery has no bearing on compatibility with the dock. My Bionic with Extended battery fits in the tray perfectly. A tray pulls out that adjusts to basically any phone thickness and it's open ended on both sides to accommodate any length of phone . Even if your phone couldn't fit on this tray you could still plug the phone in and just set it on your lap or your desk/table. The phone just needs to be WebTop ready and have the correct HDMI/Micro USB configuration.

I am guessing that on the RAZR, the webcam will automatically kick in when you are using a video chat app? I haven't found a way to make that work and have not tried VGA out, connecting USB devices or connecting to the web via Ethernet.

Something that is really cool about the LapDock 500 is that it has a headphone jack. None of the other LapDocks have this and it currently works with the Bionic too.

UPDATE: Wired Ethernet connection does not work. No problem for me, I always connect via WiFi or 4G.

Update 2: I forgot to say that the two finger scrolling works already too. It scrolls better on certain things, but usually scrolls too fast where I feel like I can barely move my fingers or it will jump too far. Also the trackpad keeps picking up input while I'm typing this and makes my cursor jump around. I haven't figured out how to disable the track pad on the 500 yet.

Droid Bionic, Stock-Rooted

Last edited:

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
Good info, thanks. Will consider purchase of lapdock 500 after tax return. Am I correct in saying there is a possibility of future new Moto phones that will be compatible as well?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums