Is the HTC Thunderbolt a worthy upgrade?

Ambushbug

Reaction score
NO IT ISN"T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish everyday that I had my DX. There are a few nice features but the DX was superior by far! Don't do it, you will regret it!!!! Fyi: had the TB since the week it came out.

Guess it's just a matter of preference. I had a DX as well, and it was a great phone, but for me the TB is superior in every aspect.

kparks

Reaction score
Is the TB a worthy upgrade over a Droid X?
I do realize there are much better phones coming, but I found a TB for a nice price (along with a Droid Charge) and was several hundred dollars cheaper than most off contract phones are.

So, would you recommend it if this is what I need/want?:

Good 4G speeds (I am in a 4G area)
Decent camera
Fast processor (I couldn't care less if it was dual core)
Netflix
Easily rooted
Good Speakers
Good durability
Nice looking screen

Also, is there a way to get Sense 3.0 on the TB? I really like how it looks.

No. Wait for the Droid Bionic. I wish I had. I use my upgrade on the TB like a moron because I was under the impression I needed to be locked into unlimited 4G. Turns out, if you have unlimited 3G, you will keep to get unlimited data when going to a 4G phone after 7/7/2011 when VZ goes to tiered data.

Im not interested in the bionic.
Also, I probably wont be able to find a good price.

And I dont want buy anything with Motorola on the front ever again.

Id get the HTC sensation if I was going the expensive route.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
lol i feel ya on that motorola part... to answer all the questions everything is great no netflix yet and the battery is kinda poor not as bad as everyone makes it out to be but i would get the extended i keep mine in my pocket with my keys and change no case only a screen protector and no damage at all and 4g is really fast bottom line its the best 4G phone verizon has out right now and its getting a update very soon and sense is awesome:icon_ banana:

MrKleen

Reaction score
No. Wait for the Droid Bionic. I wish I had. I use my upgrade on the TB like a moron because I was under the impression I needed to be locked into unlimited 4G. Turns out, if you have unlimited 3G, you will keep to get unlimited data when going to a 4G phone after 7/7/2011 when VZ goes to tiered data.

lol suit yourself. Some people have to learn the hard way I guess.

I can tell you are new and don't care about unlocking your phone.

I also will not own another Motorola phone until it is guaranteed unlocked.

The T-Bolt is superior to any Moto phone I've owned to date. The bionic will be the same as the others only dual core... No big deal if its locked down as the rest.

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

The T-Bolt is superior to any Moto phone I've owned to date. The bionic will be the same as the others only dual core... No big deal if its locked down as the rest.

I too like HTC phones more, but Moto's are still good.
It will probably be unlocked later (or right away) since the Atrix did.

The main reasons I want the Bionic is 4G/Dual Core, the resolution of 540/960, and the (hopefully) new version of Motoblur. And the battery life on HTC phones is usually awful.

If some of the rumors are true, the Droid Bionic should hold it ground against releasing phones for a while. I am saving up for it!

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Speakers are super low.

No Netflix.

4g is fast but destroys your battery and is very picky about where it will be fast

Plastic is much lighter than the d1. I wouldn't call it a durible phone

sent from my thunderbolt

Droidram56

Reaction score

I am waiting for the Droid Bionic, but will do a side-by-side comparison with the TB when the Bionic is out. I've already tested the TB and Charge. Did not want to upgrade without at least considering the Bionic, since it will be both dual core and LTE. We'll see if the upgraded Moto UI compares any better against the TB's Sense UI. Sense is much richer than the Motorblur on my wife's Droid X.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score

New to what? Smartphones? I beg to differ. Ive owned HTC Windows Mobile phones for several years.. 8525, ATT Tilt, Touch Pro 2, etc. Trust me, I know about about unlocking and flashing ROMS. WinMo was such utter garbage that you had to run custom ROMs to get the phone to work acceptably. Prior to the TB, I had a Droid X. After the WinMo experiences, it was so refreshing to have a device that simply worked.

You're right though. I dont care about unlocking a phone. To me, a phone is a tool.. a means to an end.. Like a car to get to work or a gun for protecting the house. If a car or gun can be modified to be "better", then that's great, but first and foremost, it needs to work reliably out of the box.

As a toy to tinker with, the TB is great. However for people who need a device for actually communicating with others.. it is extremely lacking.
Cases in point:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-thunderbolt/157862-about-throw-towel.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-thunderbolt/157799-can-tb-used-phone.html

MrKleen

Reaction score

New to what? Smartphones? I beg to differ. Ive owned HTC Windows Mobile phones for several years.. 8525, ATT Tilt, Touch Pro 2, etc. Trust me, I know about about unlocking and flashing ROMS. WinMo was such utter garbage that you had to run custom ROMs to get the phone to work acceptably. Prior to the TB, I had a Droid X. After the WinMo experiences, it was so refreshing to have a device that simply worked.

You're right though. I dont care about unlocking a phone. To me, a phone is a tool.. a means to an end.. Like a car to get to work or a gun for protecting the house. If a car or gun can be modified to be "better", then that's great, but first and foremost, it needs to work reliably out of the box.

As a toy to tinker with, the TB is great. However for people who need a device for actually communicating with others.. it is extremely lacking.
Cases in point:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-thunderbolt/157862-about-throw-towel.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-thunderbolt/157799-can-tb-used-phone.html

I agree with a few of your statements. However to link to people complaining about something is silly since there are countless people complaining about all kinds of stuff. And not only with the T-Bolt... go to any phone including your old DX and you will find all kinds of people complaining about stuff.

The X was my 3rd Motorola phone and I did enjoy it. But I came from the original Droid that spoiled me with freedom and none of the Motorola phones since measured up. Yes there were superior phones, but they were all crippled out of the box by being locked down. Yes you could root them and there were plenty of cool roms, but not the same as the D1. In my opinion the Bionic will be another Awesome Motorola phone crippled with a locked bootloader. Had it not been for the D1 many of us would not know what we were missing. And surely if you don't care about such things I'm sure you will very much enjoy the Bionic. But personally I am finished with Moto till all their bootloaders are unlocked like they said they would.

From day one my Thunderbolt has been the best phone I've owned. It worked out of the box without flaw. And the battery life is not as bad as many say. I had problems back in the beginning like everyone when Verizon was having trouble with their new network, but it's been fine since. The network caused terrible gps and sometimes no 4g.

Most people are thrilled with their T-Bolts, and luckily they don't come here to read all the posts about the Bolt from many that don't even own it... lol, and others that don't know how to use it.

P.S. those that have troubles with their stock phone... do a "Factory Data Reset" And uninstall any app killers....

MrKleen

Reaction score

I too like HTC phones more, but Moto's are still good.
It will probably be unlocked later (or right away) since the Atrix did.

The main reasons I want the Bionic is 4G/Dual Core, the resolution of 540/960, and the (hopefully) new version of Motoblur. And the battery life on HTC phones is usually awful.

If some of the rumors are true, the Droid Bionic should hold it ground against releasing phones for a while. I am saving up for it!

I have enjoyed all my Moto phones, and yes they are good phones... no doubt. If the Bionic gets unlocked I will probably get one.

yiannis

Reaction score
In the same boat, but would only consider a TB if it were given for $50 or less, because the phone seems to require a thick battery ($20 if you negotiate with the reps and bring up the terrible battery the phone ships with) rooting, ROMing and upgrading the radio (which according to recent vzw practice voids your warranty).

Nobody knows what problems the Bionic might have, it will cost $300 and might not be root-able/upgradable/customizable for a while.