Is the galaxy nexus acceptable?

kparks

Reaction score
You guys should read the anandtech report on the nexus radio "issues"...I'd link but I'm mobile...basically there is no issue with the radio in their testing...just that the nexus MORE ACCURATELY reports your bars than other phones...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I'd link u to the thread but I'm also mobile that story was bs.. There is a problem with the reception way to many people in the other thread complaining about it and there not looking at there bars.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Mondingo

Reaction score
I hate to say it,but I am loving my Htc REZOUND. It's fast, and always have a strong full signal under 4g and 3g. Never lose data. GPS locks on fast. And the HD SCREEN IS AMAZING! Might want to think about it.

Bad ass REZOUND!

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm not the savvy at all. Everyone is saying an update will fix connectivity but do we know that its a software issue and not a limitation on the hardware? I really want to like this phone. I also don't know how to root. But I plan on keeping my next phone for the full two years like I did with the D1 so I'd like a phone with a replacable battery.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

sb1831

Reaction score
You guys should read the anandtech report on the nexus radio "issues"...I'd link but I'm mobile...basically there is no issue with the radio in their testing...just that the nexus MORE ACCURATELY reports your bars than other phones...

The anandtech article is addresses ONE aspect of the VZ Nexus LTE radio issues; signal strength. In the grand scheme of things signal strength is meaningless but I won't get into that right now. All that Anand determined was that the Nexus on VZ gives an arguably more accurate representation of how many "bars" you have (with regards to signal strength).

If you would have read the article you'd see it in NO WAY addresses the plethora of users like myself which have experienced connectivity issues, dropped calls, etc. They addressed the correlation between "bars" and signal strength and in no way addressed the radio issues which are resulting in dropped calls and no data.

kparks

Reaction score
I'm not the savvy at all. Everyone is saying an update will fix connectivity but do we know that its a software issue and not a limitation on the hardware? I really want to like this phone. I also don't know how to root. But I plan on keeping my next phone for the full two years like I did with the D1 so I'd like a phone with a replacable battery.

If u have no intention on rooting than u should look at the Rezound or razr the nexus prolly not for u tho its still a nice phone or u can wait till ces 12 I'm waiting on that

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Since a lot of us don't have the data/signal issues, that means it's not hardware limited. Many people who have problems are new to 4g and don't understand the data transition bug that is caused by verizon's network in some cell areas, not any phone's radio. All 4G devices have the problem, which means it's not isolated to one phone.

kparks

Reaction score
The anandtech article is addresses ONE aspect of the VZ Nexus LTE radio issues; signal strength. In the grand scheme of things signal strength is meaningless but I won't get into that right now. All that Anand determined was that the Nexus on VZ gives an arguably more accurate representation of how many "bars" you have (with regards to signal strength).

If you would have read the article you'd see it in NO WAY addresses the plethora of users like myself which have experienced connectivity issues, dropped calls, etc. They addressed the correlation between "bars" and signal strength and in no way addressed the radio issues which are resulting in dropped calls and no data.

Yes exactly. well put

kparks

Reaction score
Since a lot of us don't have the data/signal issues, that means it's not hardware limited. Many people who have problems are new to 4g and don't understand the data transition bug that is caused by verizon's network in some cell areas, not any phone's radio. All 4G devices have the problem, which means it's not isolated to one phone.

Yup this problem will and can be solved with a ota. hopefully soon..

soulshot96

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the signal on the nexus, it is simply showing the actual signal strength. There is a article explaining all of this, you see all of the other lte phones are exaggerateing the a out of signal they have, the nexus is the first to show the correct signal and other than the charge is the only one that will show you the dbm of the lte in the settings, even thought the charge exaggerates the lte signal bars too. It does however have issues with dropped data and such. Which should be fixed with an ota as stated above. I think you should get the nexus, hell that's what I'm doin.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Last edited:

msheldon

Reaction score
In some cases, it wasn't that the other phones were exaggerating 4g signal strength, it's that they were displaying 3g signal strength even when connected to 4g. The Nexus definitely can tell the difference. At work, if I have 4g on, I get at best one bar. If I turn off 4g, I get 3 bars of 3g. At home, they're about equal, since I'm pretty close to a 4g tower.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the galaxy nexus acceptable for a user who don't root or flash phones will they be happy with it? I am a user who don't know how to flash or root but I love phone technology... I am worried if this is the phone for me. I like the phone it is nice and love the look.. I am just worried that in stock form should I go with the razr? Please help do you think updates will come and help the signal and battery life of this phone?

You dont need to root or flash to enjoy the G Nex. This phone could and should appeal to the masses as is.

Battery life....to me this is where rooting comes into play. Root and underclock and/or root and install a custom kernel to improve battery life. Forgot to add extended battery option too.

Signal issues.....this can affect battery life too. All I will say is monitor the signal issue, test it yourself. For me living and working in a bad reception area, I can see signal issues easy. Just know it was discovered that the G Nex has an issue displaying the signal readings.

There is nothing wrong with the signal on the nexus, it is simply showing the actual signal strength. There is a article explaining all of this, you see all of the other lte phones are exaggerateing the a out of signal they have, the nexus is the first to show the correct signal and other than the charge is the only one that will show you the dbm of the lte in the settings, even thought the charge exaggerates the lte signal bars too. It does however have issues with dropped data and such. Which should be fixed with an ota as stated above. I think you should get the nexus, hell that's what I'm doin.

I wouldnt say all other LTE phones are exaggerating the signal they show. From my Droid 1 to Droid X1 to RAZR...the signal it shows correlates with the actual signal its getting. In my apt my RAZR can show -99 and it can lose signal depending on where I go.....same for my Droid X1. There is no wild different decibel readings between the 2.

From the Anadtech article I took it as if it was a G Nex it would show something like -109 or -119. I think what most ppl are forgetting is that the G Nex is a phone....I want it to be accurate like my Droid 1 and Droid X1 when showing me decibel readings to know I can make a phone call....data reception comes 2nd. For me anyway.... IF the G Nex is showing accurate 4G readings....that doesnt help me.

With my phones and reception....I can still get phone service and not get data service. Been that way with my Droid 1 and Droid X1 at work and at home, two 3G phones. And my RAZR decibels show very close to what those 2 phones show. So showing me 4G readings doesnt help me. If I'm wrong with the G Nex signal issue, someone please explain it to me. Cuz this is what I took from the Anandtech article.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I ever root it will be to get more battery.

But I'm far off from Rooting since ICS just came out. I'll let Google do the tweaking first.

By the way I think it has the best screen I've ever seen.

kparks

Reaction score

I believe there is something wrong.. in the other thread tons of ppl are complaining and there not looking at the bars there looking at the dbm. So u gonna take one guys word over tons of users on this and other forms saying that there is a problem?? His write up was not even good nor was it that in depth..