Is the Droid 3 dead in the water ?

Jeeper_Slick

Reaction score
I love my D3, but the Locked Bootloader is complete BS. I'm thankful to the guys that got it rooted, but does anyone think we will ever get custom kernels to overclock before the phone becomes a relic ? The HTC Rezound is looking tastey, and its nice the HTC treats you like you actually bought their product, and not like they loaned it to you.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Custom kernels are reserved for Unlocked Unencrypted Bootloaders, of which the D3 does not have.

SetCPU works for underclock if you are looking for that.

OP
J

Jeeper_Slick

Reaction score
The HTC Rezound is now definetly, looking better all the time.

Jason R

Reaction score
Custom kernels are reserved for Unlocked Unencrypted Bootloaders, of which the D3 does not have.

SetCPU works for underclock if you are looking for that.

Does this mean we will never over clock the d3

Sent from my SD3

bonesjones

Reaction score
I thought motorola promised to unlock the bootloader before the end of 2011?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I thought motorola promised to unlock the bootloader before the end of 2011?

They said if the carrier allowed. Verizon isn't letting them so our bootloader will be forever locked.

bonesjones

Reaction score
Jeez that's like your mom saying yes you can and you're dad saying no. worse then both saying no

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Wrong. The Droid 3 may be overclocked through a kernel module just like the Droid 2 and X

I never understood how the D2 could be overclocked without a custom kernel.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

jjhiza

Reaction score
I hear the overclock won't survive a reboot though... any truth to this? Even if it is true, it is a step in the right direction (ie. towards a stable, lasting overclock). :)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rygaul44

Reaction score
Hahahaha seriously? Dead in the water? Hashcode has ICS booting up and he's got the touchscreen working, lol he's working on making it usable now

jjhiza

Reaction score
^^ +1 on that! Since Hash has ICS booting, it's only a matter of time before he and others find a way to get it fully functional, possibly placing the D3 at the "head of the class" so to speak, in terms of ROM development. The only devices with working ICS ports are older devices, but to my knowledge, nobody is really working on a solid project for the Bionic, Atrix, Dx2, etc…I may be wrong, but development on the D3 is far from dead..there are a LOT of good devs working on the device already, and a bunch of nice ROMs to choose from. If you want to check out some of the progress, jump over to xda and rootzwiki. :)