Is the Droid 2 getting a new version anytime soon?

captainphatty

Reaction score
I currently have a 3 year old Blackberry Curve, and I have hung onto it for so long due to how much I love the keyboard. But recently it is really started to get to me that I can't do any video online at all, and there are really no good games for the phone either.

I played with the Droid 2 Global in the store the other day, and the phone seems really sweet, and they keyboard is good enough that I don't think I will miss the Blackberry keyboard.

I am a little hesitant to upgrade since the Droid 2 has been out for awhile, any reason I should wait to buy (like an LTE version, or something like that?)

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the D3 is coming out in the next few months. it is believed to be a dual core (no word on whether LTE, but suspicion is that it will only be 3g), with an increased screen size (from 3.7" to 4", which will allow for a bigger pkb), and possibly a qHD screen. early speculation had it coming out in Q2, but now it is thought that it will be released in July or August as a possible competitor to the iP5.

holmes6

Reaction score
I currently have a 3 year old Blackberry Curve, and I have hung onto it for so long due to how much I love the keyboard. But recently it is really started to get to me that I can't do any video online at all, and there are really no good games for the phone either.

I played with the Droid 2 Global in the store the other day, and the phone seems really sweet, and they keyboard is good enough that I don't think I will miss the Blackberry keyboard.

I am a little hesitant to upgrade since the Droid 2 has been out for awhile, any reason I should wait to buy (like an LTE version, or something like that?)

Something better is always around the corner these days.
You won't know if you'll regret it til it's too late :(

LTE, Dual core, Newer android OS are all decent reasons to wait.
For me LTE wasn't a consideration since I'm not in a Major city. I figure useful rollout here will be years away. Also 3g is more than sufficient for most of the stuff I do on my phone. YMMV, will be much better for network media and tethering with LTE.
Dual core, same as above kinda, I don't stress the single core in my d2 much, so dual core will not be all that beneficial yet. Newer android OS will always be a problem as long as devices get slow/no upgrades with new OS release.

Reaction score
If you love the Blackberry Curve (which I hate), then you should look at the Droid Pro. It's got a similar keyboard, but packs a lot more power and functionality than a blackberry (excluding BBM).

If you want the Droid 2 global, i highly doubt you'd be disappointed.

OP
C

captainphatty

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. I did look at the Droid Pro. That keyboard sucked a lot, even though it looks similar. The keys are not separated, the just have the odd raised corner. I couldn't help but hit the keys next to the key I meant to hit, even after trying the keyboard for 30 minutes. You would think they could have just copied the keyboard outright since a lot of BB users I know (myself included) think the BB keyboard is the best.

My other issue with the Droid Pro was the screen space you give up for having that keyboard share the front face like the Blackberry. I live with it now, but seeing web pages and games on the other phones screens just made me feel like I was settling for something crappy and small.

Looks like I will be getting a Droid 2 after work today :)

:icon_ banana: (I couldn't help myself from clicking this dude on the sidebar, image not related)

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
You won't be disappointed with the d2 iv had it since the weekend it came out and it's pretty much the best one IMO