is the droid 2 a little underwhelming or is it just me?

velocity92c

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken it has the same cpu, just clocked at a higher speed? If so, it has twice the ram and an improved keyboard/directional pad. Everything else is nearly the same, right? And for some reason they rearranged the soft buttons. The keyboard is a major feature for me and the droid 2 is the only high end android phone I know off with a keyboard coming out anytime soon. With the bootloader being locked down the way it is, I don't really see the appeal of the d2 minus the added ram.

Darkseider

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken it has the same cpu, just clocked at a higher speed? If so, it has twice the ram and an improved keyboard/directional pad. Everything else is nearly the same, right? And for some reason they rearranged the soft buttons. The keyboard is a major feature for me and the droid 2 is the only high end android phone I know off with a keyboard coming out anytime soon. With the bootloader being locked down the way it is, I don't really see the appeal of the d2 minus the added ram.

Well. You are mistaken. The Droid 2 has the same guts as the Droid X. The keyboard is said to be vastly improved as well. Problem is that the bootloader is locked down tighter than a drum just like the Droid X although assuming it is the same otherwise the same or similar root method will work that rooted the X. At least then you could muck around with things. It is also said to be releasing with Froyo.

Codiusprie

Reaction score

Even before we found out the boot loader was locked i was unimpressed. The internals are nice but not a huge step up from my OC Droid (minus the ram) and the screen is the same size/resolution so no real improvement there. I don't have an upgrade for a long while anyways but I do not think the Droid2 is a worthy successor to the Droid.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I thought I had read that about the cpu on this forum. In that case its a lot better than I thought. Hopefully they will get past the bootloader so we can install ROMs on it. The X still has a much better camera, much better screen and HDMI out. I will gladly take a keyboard over those features though. How high can the 1ghz cpu be overclocked? I'm assuming somewhere between 2 and 2.4ghz?

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Even before we found out the boot loader was locked i was unimpressed. The internals are nice but not a huge step up from my OC Droid (minus the ram) and the screen is the same size/resolution so no real improvement there. I don't have an upgrade for a long while anyways but I do not think the Droid2 is a worthy successor to the Droid.

+1 Meh.

Not enough of a step up for me to pay the full load. Still got time on my contract so I'll play the wait and see game.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
motorola probably is replacing the droid 1 for the encrypted boot loader hence its on the end of life list

not really making it an upgrade just a replacment

Darkseider

Reaction score
I didn't say it was a worthy successor just what it had in it. With Froyo it should perform about 100% better than a OC'd Droid running Froyo on most tasks. That's not saying that the Droid is a slouch either just that there will be a noticeable performance gain. Personally I am waiting for a dual core whatever with a small fusion reactor for a battery to come out before I get a new phone. Probably not until years end or Q1/11 at a minimum.

brando56894

Reaction score
Its nice but doesnt warrant an upgrade, if my D1 broke I would probably upgrade to a D2. Custom roms are nice but arent necessary since (if its rooted) you can theme with metamorph and with launcher pro.

As for OCing Id say it'd probably be in the range of 1.1 to 1.7 GHz since the current OMAPs max out around 1.2 to 1.3 GHz (max increase of 750 MHz), heat also factors in since with higher clockspeed you get more heat (unless the manufacturing process is smaller)

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
DROID came out, what in Nov 2009? Droid 2, in July 2010? Seems to be for a whole new crowd a we can not upgrade yet.

Our successor (DROID 1 owners, that is), seems to be this DROID Pro phone 2 GHz thing in the winter. THAT is what I have my eye on.

The DROID 1 is almost the perfect phone, I just believe it needs more memory, so the DROID 2 may be ideal for whoever gets their hands on it. So its def no slouch. Just kinda boring for us original owners due to the lack of change and new features.

brando56894

Reaction score
Agreed, If I could upgrade to the droid 2 for cheap ($50-100) I would definitely do it because I envy the faster processor and more ram/internal storage. Since I wont be able to upgrade for awhile I have my eyes on the Droid Pro also. Im sure by the time I can upgrade there will be something way better than the Droid Pro (I have atleast another year to go, depending on if they offer early upgrades again)

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I am REALLY hoping I get that early upgrade (for me it would be Dec 2nd, 2010--1 year after I bought the DROID 1), otherwise I have to wait until Aug 2011!!!! Ugh....

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Well, as long as the DROID doesn't die, we could be left with phones MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. And by the time we upgrade, I can only think what Sept 2011 will have that Dec 2010 doesn't! 4G Standard, Front Facing Camera Standard, Android 4.0 and 3 GHz.

With that being Said, I am very positive for some reason that I will be getting that early upgrade if Verizon knows whats best for them.