Is the Droid 2 a good phone?

Teendaddy08

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Motorola Droid 2 and before I buy it I want to see what people have to say about it. What are the pros? What are the cons? Should I get the phone?

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums

bkavanaugh

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one have been very unhappy with that phone. I had an original Droid and really liked it. However, this one is very laggy (particularly after the Gingerbread update), extremely slow when pulling up contacts, randomly reboots, and has terrible battery life. I've even upgraded to the extended battery, which has helped some - but not enough. I also have a Windows Phone 7 for work, and am much happier with that. Hopefully whatever Android phone is available once my contract is up in July is better than this piece of garbage.

Htown315

Reaction score
Mine is running on cm7 and is flawless. My battery lasts my entire day with moderate/heavy use. If I didn't desire 4g I would keep this phone it run like a tank after many many drops. I honestly love this phone and its far from garbage. Android phones are not like iPhones they require a little know-how and tweaking.

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
A lot of users find the stock platform buggy. If your gonna put a custom rom on it, you'll like it way better than stock. I like mine, always have.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

ElectroGeek

Reaction score
That brings up the question of the day...

When will moto unencrypt their bootloaders. The best roms are late to most moto phones if they even make it that far.

My next phone won't be moto unless bigg changes are made!

Droid2 Global CM4D2G-GB-20111204a
CM7 RevNumbers Kang

silverfang77

Reaction score
Even if Moto decrypts the bootloaders, VZW will just reencrypt them.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Droid 2 is good! Lasts pretty long in my perspective.
Can listen to music and it still lasts

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[ ] Motorola Droid 2: ZombieStomped 1.7
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.2.2

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy another one for $1. They're garbage.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Willheis

Reaction score
The one I had was terrible. It worked great for a day or two after I got it, then I had my first random reboot... it just got worse from there. Before I finally got a new phone, the screen was basically unresponsive, it rebooted several time a day, and the physical keyboard worked when it felt like it. I was not pleased with the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
Mine has been laggy, slow, bug ridden, and the battery life has been sub-par. Unfortunately I can not reccomend this phone. You're better off with a Droid 3.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
It's okay.

I haven't had any of the Gingerbread issues others have had. Every problem I've had was there before the update.

I'll list cons first since I mentioned the Gingerbread issues

Cons:
-Random reboots.
-Does not handle being pushed very well.
-Can have issues moving between portrait/landscape mode. (Think keyboard and docks).
-Issues with lock/unlock button and phone getting stuck in black screen (reduced in Gingerbread for me).
-Camera is disappointing but is really not horrendous.

Pros:
-EXTREMELY solid phone. I've dropped the phone on concrete, ceramic, linoleum, and had it slide face down concrete into a river. I have some scratches on the plastic but not a single mark on the screen. The water indicator did not even go off when it fell into the water.
-Inexpensive
-Screen is small but looks great.
-I've had excellent battery life (13-30 hours depending on use). I've heard some people don't though.
-Sound is great.

Insidious

Reaction score
It's okay.

I haven't had any of the Gingerbread issues others have had. Every problem I've had was there before the update.

I'll list cons first since I mentioned the Gingerbread issues

Cons:
-Random reboots.
-Does not handle being pushed very well.
-Can have issues moving between portrait/landscape mode. (Think keyboard and docks).
-Issues with lock/unlock button and phone getting stuck in black screen (reduced in Gingerbread for me).
-Camera is disappointing but is really not horrendous.

Pros:
-EXTREMELY solid phone. I've dropped the phone on concrete, ceramic, linoleum, and had it slide face down concrete into a river. I have some scratches on the plastic but not a single mark on the screen. The water indicator did not even go off when it fell into the water.
-Inexpensive
-Screen is small but looks great.
-I've had excellent battery life (13-30 hours depending on use). I've heard some people don't though.
-Sound is great.

I will second it's toughness. The thing is a tank! I've dropped this thing so many which ways, it's gotten sand down in the mechanisms, and so on; and it still works like it always did.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I will second it's toughness. The thing is a tank! I've dropped this thing so many which ways, it's gotten sand down in the mechanisms, and so on; and it still works like it always did.

I like my D2 quite a bit. Great phone.

Pros:
- VERY solid phone. Well built.
- The phone looks sharp. The buttons built into the glass is the way every phone should be...awesome.
- Battery life is good. I easily get a full day on moderate/heavy use with about 30%-40% left when I go to bed on most nights.
- Nice physical keyboard...much better than the original Droid.
- I don't have the problems with my phone that others seem to be having with theirs...but then again, I take good care of my phone and don't abuse it or overload it with 300 apps.

Cons:
- The only issue I had was a random reboot, maybe once every few weeks, but that was corrected with an update a while back. Haven't had an issue since.
- The keyboard would be better if the numbers row was by itself, and you didn't have to hit the function key to get a number...but not a deal breaker by any means.
- The camera could be better in low light situations, but that is an issue with almost every camera phone.

The D2 is an "older" phone now, as it is 15+ months old. If you don't mind getting year old technology in a new phone, I recommend this phone...especially at the price, they are cheap now.