Is the camera any different?

mooch91

Reaction score
I expected a camera in ICS that looked/felt different than the one in GB. Mainly because I had tried "Camera ICS" in the Play store and it looked/felt different. The one that came with the ICS upgrade doesn't feel much different than GB. Any others experience the same?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have not noticed any big differences yet, but I rarely use my phone camera (I'm a photographer, so my real camera is almost always readily available)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The shutter is faster on the stock app with ICS. It's not Galaxy Nexus fast, but it's definitely fasterthan it was on Gingerbread. That doesn't always translate into better pictures though because it cuts into the ability of the camera to completely focus. There are a few minor additions here and there (effects, taking pictures while recording video), but I haven't noticed anything that results in any real improvements in the the pictures. Camera ICS+ still outperforms it for me, as does HDR Camera. Also, it doesn't look any different because Motorola is using their own camera app, versus the stock ICS camera app (which looks a lot like Camera ICS+ from the market that you mentioned).

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
Camera ics+ seems to work much better and faster than the stock camera app.

Reaction score
While many of the little motorola tweaks are welcomed it's a shame they continue to push their garbage camera app. Especially now that google is producing a quality camera app.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The shutter is faster on the stock app with ICS. It's not Galaxy Nexus fast, but it's definitely fasterthan it was on Gingerbread. That doesn't always translate into better pictures though because it cuts into the ability of the camera to completely focus. There are a few minor additions here and there (effects, taking pictures while recording video), but I haven't noticed anything that results in any real improvements in the the pictures. Camera ICS+ still outperforms it for me, as does HDR Camera. Also, it doesn't look any different because Motorola is using their own camera app, versus the stock ICS camera app (which looks a lot like Camera ICS+ from the market that you mentioned).

My experience is with the Bionic running the .230 ICS leak, but the ability to shoot video and take pics while doing so is a KILLER feature, IMHO. The big issue with the stock Moto camera app is that it is somewhat less than intuitive, and one must actually "figure out" how to use it effectively. Took me awhile, but nowadays I can take some pretty good pics with my phone.

Reaction score
awriternot said:
Whats the name of the Google camera app?

There are numerous ports out on the market. Look for something like Camera ICS and read the description.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
Camera ICS and Camera ICS+ (paid) are the two I tinkered with.

hailster

Reaction score
The big differences I noticed were that it will not take pictures quicker when you aren't using the flash and the other is that if you are using the flash it will turn the flash on, focus and then take the picture. Since getting ICS I haven't had issues with getting blurry pictures.