Is tethering ok on the Droid?

ocholoco

Reaction score
so does anyone use their droid/tether as their main source for internet for their home?

Main source of internet...no. But when I have no internet due to me being out and about, driving (not me of course), and powers out (always awesome to be able to get on the internet when no one else in the house has power lol), I do use it. I would NOT use it as the primary internet unless you want a call from VZW for all of the bandwidth youre using.

that's what i thought...but i had hoped that just maybe someone out there was crazy enough to try as their main source all the time and stream netflix and all that..:) oh, well...i'm happy to have it for when i'm away from wifi

ocholoco

Reaction score

ocholoco

Reaction score
I will be attending a National Guard school from the first of next month till eight May. Will be doing some I expect limited, tethering since I can do most of what I want to do on the phone itself.

Hopefully I wont get slapped down.

Will report when I get back.

keep us posted...and good luck in National Guard school!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
To answer the OP's question, the answer is NO! It is not OK. The only people allowed to tether their droids are those who use the search function and read the 50 other threads in which the question is answered. :)

ICEMANaka92EG6

Reaction score
I play MW2 tethering using VZW mobile broadband everyday and have no problem (Data usage or lag) I average 1.5 to 2Gb a month, just don't download a lot of game content from the market. Haven't been able to get PDA net and Xbox live to work though.

wa2ddl

Reaction score
on an island off the Florida coast (Hutchinson)
I used tether on my BB storm and it worked great...no probs from VZW either. It worked so well that I stopped my verizon data connection to my Dell 6000 ($60 per month) and used the one time $29 fee tether. Great for everything except movies took a while.

Waiting for my droid x tomorrow (15th). Tether will be the first app I get for it....then a keyboard

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
I used tether on my BB storm and it worked great...no probs from VZW either. It worked so well that I stopped my verizon data connection to my Dell 6000 ($60 per month) and used the one time $29 fee tether. Great for everything except movies took a while.

So the $29 tethering fee is one time? I assumed it was monthly.
I use my droid to tether and it is my only internet connection, cant get DSL or Cable. And I also play xbox live,MW2, without too much lag. It will occasionly lag a little but I'd say 95% of the time its lag free. My pings usually run around 150ms and its defintely playable. And no it doesnt use much bandwidth, about 25mb an hour with voice. Honestly it isnt bad at all so anyone thinking about possibly using it to game with should try it out if you have no other option.
But I got to say that it also depends on where you live. If you live in the city, which you usually have other ISP options, it seems the bandwith is a little slow. I assume because there is more users on the towers. But if you live out in the country, like me , then give it a try. I constantly pull 1 mb download and around .45 mb upload at my home when I do a speedtest.
Trust me I debated it for months whether or not to get it but now im very happy I did. I figured I was already paying $50/month for my old cell phone and $15/month for dial up, so its really not that big of a difference considering you get a connection thats about 20 times faster.

Zandar

Reaction score
I tether and it's my only internet connexion. The reason being, though, I don't do anything on my PC that I can't do on my Droid. Pretty much email, web surfing, and YouTube. I don't play online games nor work from home (and no movie/music downloads; I just stream Pandora, but I do that from the Droid).

If the Droid could hook up to an external keyboard and monitor, I wouldn't tether. No need.