is sms threw google voice free?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you found the setting to turn off SMS forwarding, but to turn it off go to Settings on the top of the page, choose Phones tab, select your mobile VZ number and uncheck 'SMS Settings" box. If you don't do this you will get a GV app notification of the text and a VZ txt saying the same thing.

I still have my SMS plan from VZ because I have friends who don't use my GV number yet to text me. Eventually I may get rid of it on my plan. This will save me $10/month. More $$ to buy apps :)

That's how I remember seeing mine set up but when I look now it no longer looks like that. I see my VZ number and a check mark next to forward calls but there is nothing about SMS there anymore.

On the voice mail and SMS tab there is only a place to click to have your text sent to your email. I think something has changed on this page since I got my Droid.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Not sure if you found the setting to turn off SMS forwarding, but to turn it off go to Settings on the top of the page, choose Phones tab, select your mobile VZ number and uncheck 'SMS Settings" box. If you don't do this you will get a GV app notification of the text and a VZ txt saying the same thing.

I still have my SMS plan from VZ because I have friends who don't use my GV number yet to text me. Eventually I may get rid of it on my plan. This will save me $10/month. More $$ to buy apps :)

That's how I remember seeing mine set up but when I look now it no longer looks like that. I see my VZ number and a check mark next to forward calls but there is nothing about SMS there anymore.

On the voice mail and SMS tab there is only a place to click to have your text sent to your email. I think something has changed on this page since I got my Droid.

Oh sorry missed a step. You have to click on Edit to get to the SMS settings. Do you see it there?

JamesX

Reaction score
I am using Google Voice with the Google Voice Number (not "My Number Only" mode).

After clicking "Settings" in the Upper Right

There will be a option called "Voice Mail and SMS" in the middle.

Click on it and half way down will be "SMS Forwarding" I think that is what people are talking about.

Keep in mind no message app that I know of will send Google Voice SMS from your phone (other than Google Voice).

if you use the default Messenger Client or Handcent, even if you are responding to a Text sent to your Google Voice SMS, you will be replying with your carrier texting service.

I sent over 50 text this way before I realized what is going on.

So I called Verizon and blocked Text on my verizon account entirely. I now have my Default SMS App set to Google Voice.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think all calls in the lower 48 are free, maybe even Hawaii and Alaska. But international calls have a charge.

International calling rates : International calls - Google Voice Help

it still uses your minutes

The only way it will be free is if you have a VOIP app like Gizmo5 on your Droid. You can tell it to use incoming and outgoing calls using your GV number. Gizmo5 was acquired by Google so we may be seeing this real soon!

Or if you have the friends and family deal ( call 5 or 10 numbers for free), you can put your GV # in as one. With that you would have unlimited calling if everyone called you at that number. There is an app, can't think of the name right now, that will use your GV number when calling from cell phone. That would make it all around free.

Binky

Reaction score
it still uses your minutes

The only way it will be free is if you have a VOIP app like Gizmo5 on your Droid. You can tell it to use incoming and outgoing calls using your GV number. Gizmo5 was acquired by Google so we may be seeing this real soon!

Or if you have the friends and family deal ( call 5 or 10 numbers for free), you can put your GV # in as one. With that you would have unlimited calling if everyone called you at that number. There is an app, can't think of the name right now, that will use your GV number when calling from cell phone. That would make it all around free.

Anyone know what this app is called?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
The handcent guy was saying the other day that he was implimenting google sms through handcent.

That should make your life eaiser if you want to go this route.

But I still think unlimited messaging (including picture/video messaging) is the best way to go. No hassle.