is rooting droid 2 worth it? i heard its not fully broke

D

dankarlinski

theres no difference before and after root as far as usage.

idk how these kids r running into problems.

only minor problem was my buttons not lighting up,
it rarely happens, and its only after a reboot when it does.

to fix it, some are able to adjust the screen brightness and they come back.
not me
i have to go into the camera, take a pic, delete it, and whammo, phone buttons light up. idk y that works.
and its on any rom i use. stock, fusion, fission, squidlys, angdroids green and his clean.

so go ahead mr 65 million posts, enlighten us on how unusable your rooted D2 is

:soapbox:

There is a huge difference between stock and rooted. Your capabilities are endless once you are rooted. On stock, you are very limited. And the only reason the Droid 2 and x users have more issues than others is because of the efuse bootloader.

Clearly you don't understand what being rooted allows you to do

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.0)

cron666

Reaction score
i thought we were talking about adverse affects of rooting
i didnt think i needed to spell out what rooting enables you to do.

"rooting" simply means gaining super user permissions on a linux system.

Android is Linux.

in other forms of linux and BSD we are able to simply invoke sudo before any command we would like to use in an administrative environment.

the reason we use sudo instead of su is because it is a tad safer in that you dont have to worry about forgetting to logout of su and letting someone compromise your system.

the reason the carriers lock us out of su and sudo is so we dont screw things up.

its n00bs like the complainers and the ones who ask what "root" is that give everyone headaches.

if you dont understand the privleges and responisibilities, then DONT ****ING DO IT!!

what we do here is without any warranty. noone is responsible for the commands you run except for you. we dont twist your arm.

anyone who has questions about basic stuff needs to go take a Linux 101.

isnt there a sticky defining root?
i thought we were past all that.

edit: im new to droids, not Linux or Android.
ive got extensive experience porting android to the Dell Axim x51v
you look at my 5 posts and scoff, but hows about u take a sniveling step back kid?
ive been a part of XDA since the site was ugly as sin.

Last edited:

Mrgrey06

Reaction score
I do not recommend rooting the D2 at all unless you are going to root and just keep the ROM you currently have and do not use the bootstraps.

Even then I stopped getting email notifications, so while I won't say don't do it at all I definitely don't think that it's prime time and ready to go the way many make it appear to be.

Gotta say.... If that's the way you feel about rooting, that's fine and dandy.... But I thinks its funny how you're telling someone to root and NOT change anything at all. The whole point of rooting is customization, and backing up everything. At least for me. I like knowing that everything I do, I can backup my files, erase the rom I'm currently on, and flash a different one. I've flashed several, and yes there are glitches, but its to be expected. You're changing the system. Its better than having a slow phone due to bloatware.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

harasho

Reaction score
there are some other advantages to having a rooted phone, without using the customizing side of it, some applications (specifically back up ones) can save more data and be more precise and efficient at what they are meant to do on a rooted phone as opposed to a stock one for example.

i thought we were talking about adverse affects of rooting
i didnt think i needed to spell out what rooting enables you to do.

edit: im new to droids, not Linux or Android.
ive got extensive experience porting android to the Dell Axim x51v
you look at my 5 posts and scoff, but hows about u take a sniveling step back kid?
ive been a part of XDA since the site was ugly as sin.

and cron, i do not judge you by your post count, i judge based on content. just because you have a high count doesnt mean you have credibility at all. you cant honestly say that a rooted vs stock android have no change in usage. its just flat out wrong. i dont care whatever you did, you just threw out a couple fancy terms and acted like you built the os yourself and all the idiots should just go fall off a cliff. if you really did specialize in computers or anything technical youd have to know that there are less knowledgeable people out there that require a more in depth explanation then what you and i might need. throwing insults and calling people dumb wont fix anything.

who cares that youve been on xda since whenever. ive been on neopets for 8 years. does that mean anything? no. it doesnt. what happened was you were corrected, and you decided to throw a tantrum over nothing. if you disagree, state that with your reasons instead of going out on a rampage and attack everyone who is "less knowledgeable" then you. be respectful bro.

Reaction score
i judge based on content. just because you have a high count doesnt mean you have credibility at all. you cant honestly say that a rooted vs stock android have no change in usage. its just flat out wrong.

No, you're wrong; At its basest level, running before and after root IS exactly the same. Rooting itself is simply the process of giving yourself super user permissions. It is what you DO with these permissions that change the phone. Just because you don't understand the terms, or how coding works, doesn't mean he's wrong.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I swear......every forum I read seems to revert all the members to bickering 13 year olds, it really does get old.:icon_evil:

harasho

Reaction score
i judge based on content. just because you have a high count doesnt mean you have credibility at all. you cant honestly say that a rooted vs stock android have no change in usage. its just flat out wrong.

At the base level I agree

No, you're wrong; At its basest level, running before and after root IS exactly the same. Rooting itself is simply the process of giving yourself super user permissions. It is what you DO with these permissions that change the phone. Just because you don't understand the terms, or how coding works, doesn't mean he's wrong.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

cron666

Reaction score
I give up. I won't argue. Yea my post looks like garbage cause I was pissed at how hookbill formed this thread.

Rooting changes nothing as far as usability just as Niceguysfinishlast said. Any usability issues stem from what you do to the phone AFTER u have su creds.

Its very easy to majorly hose a linux system without knowing what ur doing.
This isn't windows, where you install some programs and voila, look at my 1337 $Y$73m brauuuu.

Su credentials should be treated with respect. My simple point.
Any noobs should be pointed to a sticky. I think darkonion or angdroid made one.

$ent from a DeRezzed Droid2

cron666

Reaction score
And no I didn't build an OS myself, I simply crosscompiled android with codesorcery's gcc toolchain. I can't code, but I can script like there's no tomorrow. Noone here knows me. I'm new to droids, but experienced with linux. And yea obviously post count doesn't mean anything. One of my original points.

harasho

Reaction score
And no I didn't build an OS myself, I simply crosscompiled android with codesorcery's gcc toolchain. I can't code, but I can script like there's no tomorrow. Noone here knows me. I'm new to droids, but experienced with linux. And yea obviously post count doesn't mean anything. One of my original points.

See there is a post I can respect. Its arguable both ways with usage. Technically there is no noticeable change between a rooted and uprooted Droid. But there really is in its inherent capabilities. Apps like root explorer don't give the rooted phone special features, it merely accesses what is already there.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

miketoasty

Reaction score
I do not recommend rooting the D2 at all unless you are going to root and just keep the ROM you currently have and do not use the bootstraps.

Even then I stopped getting email notifications, so while I won't say don't do it at all I definitely don't think that it's prime time and ready to go the way many make it appear to be.
Um no.

sent from my Liberty infused Droid 2

Don't comment on things you don't know about. Read up on Hookbill's story before acting like you know everything.

There are many problems with the D2/DX bootstrap that make it a very unstable way of doing things. Yes we can always SBF but if you plan on doing a lot of playing around make sure you do it near a computer before starting and have a full battery as getting into bootstrap is always a coin flip if its going to actually let you in or not.

Many times I have "bricked" my phone and had nowhere to go except SBF even after doing all the steps multiple times to get into bootstrap.

Kanibull

Reaction score
Moral of the story: the d2 gains many extra features thru root like any other phone and it also gains risks as well. So if I was you I would look at some d2 roms and root only features. Then make a decision.