Is Pete on vacation?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by nagmier, Jun 24, 2010.

1. nagmier

nagmier New Member

I'm not looking for any specific updates or anything but I have noticed he has been quite for a few days... Did I miss a post saying he was going to be MIA for a bit?
  2. schollianmj

schollianmj New Member

nope. he just has a life other than making kick arse ROMs for use greedy users.... :)
  3. J*Bishop

J*Bishop New Member

yeah he's been pretty quiet as of late.
  4. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Beta Team/Marty McFly Theme Developer Premium Member

Don't know why he's in college, should be working at google!hoping to see a new bugless beast from source soon!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Swype
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

i pray that google hires people with a little bit more experience than pete.
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Google is a company that was built on opportunity, charisma, youth and ideas, and not necessarily experience. Pete is a brilliant mind, along with most other ROM Developers in the open Android community and with the knowledge and potential they have plus the tool's that Google has to offer, we could only be lucky to be part of that process

Experience is a long term gain, and doesn't come overnight
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Correct, and now it is a multi-billion dollar corporation that essentially "controls" every facet of the internet. Youth, charisma and ideas are great when you're starting out, but they're not going to be hiring people with no formal training for their "ideas". if that was the case, all of us would have jobs at Google because their are plenty of ideas going around. that doesn't mean pete won't/can't get a job at google once he completes his education, but trust me, the google men in black are not going to be showing up at his door begging for him to join their squad with his "fresh ideas".
  8. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Agreed, but they are definately watching all of the ROM developers, mabye for the right reasons and mabye not. It's quite possible half of the reason for the Open Source is, it makes it easy to come up with new ideas when the people who really matter "us" are the ones coming up with them

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space
  9. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

You don't know much about Google , you may want to watch this , they are hiring the smartest people , not necessarily experienced .
    Google Documentary

10. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

saying "You don't know much about Google" and showing me videos of them having fun in the office is all fun and good, but find me one job here Let?s work together. - US jobs - Google that doesn't require an education or experience. even their Administrative Assistant positions require experience and education. does that mean someone who doesn't have a formal education/experience who has a lot of charisma and some ROMs under his belt can not get hired? of course not. but is Google out their recruiting waves of no experience having, no formal training having college students because they have "ideas"? haha...not quite. that would almost be counter-productive because of the training that would have to be involved (business requirements, goals, business rules etc) you can check the student jobs section too, even those jobs require some sort of completed education/training/certifications.

i think you think that Google is akin to The Office and they just have fun all day and their boss is like Steve Carrell and they haphazardly hire people with potential and not those with proven success. again, if this was the case, we'd all be working for Google (which would be a disaster).

if you think Google is watching Android devs and will jump at the opportunity to hire every single one who wants to work with them (as I'm sure anyone of them would want), then i'm sorry but it's you who doesn't know much about Google...
  11. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Beta Team/Marty McFly Theme Developer Premium Member

Man, what did I start? They post those requirements so that every random Joe off the streets doesn't apply. Those "requirements" are exactly what they are looking for, if not more. My job had bachelors degree as one of the requirements, and do I have one? No. Network engineer, btw. So if you don't have all of the qualifications, it doesn't mean you won't get the job.
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

thanks for inadvertently agreeing with me. as I mentioned, of course there will be people who don't have bachelor's/master's/certifications/experience who get hired. but if you approach Google and say "i don't have a bachelor's, i don't have any experience, but i did cook up some custom ROMs in my basement and I have a lot of great ideas", you really think google is going to clear out a desk for you to begin your life as a google employee? of course those requirements aren't strict, and aren't "do or die", but there's no way google is hiring a higher percentage of people without experience than those with. they wouldn't be in business if they did. they'd spend more money teaching people things than getting anything done. it's a cool pipe dream to think that anyone can go and work at google, but that's simply not the case.

so you don't have a bachelor's. but you did have experience as a network engineer or in IT, right? you didn't just wake up one morning, skip your advanced cooking college class and apply at your current job as a network engineer, right? obviously you had qualifications (experience, certs) that your employer thought was more beneficial then just saying "sorry you don't have a bachelor's, have a nice day".

those requirements are not make or break but you better believe they are a framework for what Google wants/expects from their employees. sure there are google employees who got hired for their ideas and for their charisma, but there's no way they're hiring developers and IT staff who have no training and experience (if anything, people like that would be in marketing or something). no company in the world would do that, and if there is one who did, i'm sure they're out of business by now haha
  13. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

I wasn't saying that they are hiring everyone who wants to work there , but the smartest , which means you or I don't have a chance to work there . I'm pretty sure that if a developer is smart enough and create something outstanding , he'll get an offer from Google without having the experience , that doesn't mean he's hired . They have an extremely complex hiring process designed to filter those with tons of experience and achievements , but no Google material , there are a lot of stories about their complex interview questions and coding problems , so not just everyone with experience and achievements gets to work there .
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

oh ok, my mistake. i thought you were saying that someone could get a job at google just for rehashing an open source rom.

yep, of course if a random dev comes up with a groundbreaking application/software and presents it to google, there's a chance they will get hired, but those types of stories are one in a million, not something that happens daily, monthly or even yearly.

and yeah i have no doubt that they're hiring process is extremely complex. thats what makes them one of the most powerful companies in existence, ever. i'm sure they have fun in the office, but they work their asses off too haha
  15. bad4u

bad4u New Member

Czerdrill- did you come here just to bash pete, your constantly calling him inexperienced and un-worthy, you called his work useless in your last post. I think you should move on my friend. Done, i've said my peace.

Back on topic, stop derailing.

Pete popped out the evo bugless a few days ago, I think hes been spending a lot of time on that. Hes got a new toy, you know how it is your old one will sit of to the side for a sec till you get back to it.
  16. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

sorry no not bashing pete, i will edit my post. just stating that that's not how companies hire people. pete is a great dev, i used his 2.1 ROM exclusively.
  17. J*Bishop

J*Bishop New Member

hey guys. let's get back on track. pete's on vacation. lol
  18. Phxphenom

Phxphenom New Member

I am quite sure Pete would be instantly recognized by the Google Droid Developer folks and would also have a ton of street cred. I also believe the Google folks visit these forum websites often.....as well as twitter etc.
  19. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

^+1^

What Track....the Side Track ; )

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space
  20. bradl3y

bradl3y New Member

its ****ing summer guys!