1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is Overclocking at 1200 dangerous to my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by steveomatic, Feb 18, 2010.

1. steveomatic

steveomatic New Member

I have been running Sholes 2.5 and overclocking at 1000 for a few days with no issues. If I up it to 1200 are there any concerns? Will this hurt my phone over time?

Than ks Yo!:lifting:
  2. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Is your phone running good right now?? If yes then leave it alone is my opinion. Keep pushing and pushing you will end up with issues. Im at 950 on Bugless beast and my droid runs flawless. I will only upgrade to a new rom if it benefits the look and feel not because I can now clock to 2.76666 ghz haha
  3. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

No, it is not dangerous.
  4. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

facts? Not trying to argue but simply saying "no it is not dangerous" IMO is not the proper way. Post some links to threads/evidence of such findings, or your certificate of expertise.
  5. Mr. Premium

Mr. Premium New Member

Does overclocking kill the overall life of the processor?
  6. Shmooze

Shmooze New Member

1ghz is more than what's needed for day to day usage. I'm at 1ghz constantly with no issues but I will never go beyond without installing setcpu. Stick with 1ghz if you're a noob like me.
  7. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Modern processors are not harmed by overclocking. You aren't altering the voltage, just the multiplier. If anything, the Droid will not boot or may act funny, but once you revert back to a slower clock speed, it will be fine (and that's for higher speeds, mind you).

Anything up to 1.3 is tested to work fine on the Droid. Heat may rise but the OMAP3 is rated to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You won't be getting anywhere near that, and in case you do, you can always set SetCPU to roll back the clock speed automatically.
  8. bL33d

bL33d New Member

Probably not but why in the hell would anyone need anything higher then 1ghz...
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Just because..... Plus it ticks off the iPhone guys to no end. :icon_ banana:
  10. magnus

magnus New Member

Big Lou...did you mean, "if anything, the DROID WILL boot or act funny?..."

That has been my experince.,....BB7.5 1000 was running flawless.....then 7.6 came along and I have boot loops and funny business all over......even 1000 is not super stable.....so it might have to do with the Rom itself and not just the speed.

But to the OP.

I don't think anybody can answer your question but YOU...and that by trying it out and here's why......

Different chips are created differently. Minute variations in the manufacturing process can lead to some chips capable of higher speeds and some lower. (I am an engineer in the chip manufacturing business) It's pretty obvious that some people's droids can handle 1300, whereas mine seems to crap out above 1000. Some people have had issues above 800.

Motorola looks at the chip capabilities and other things like battery life etc......and has to find a happy medium between a lot of conflicting things and so they ultimately decided on 550Mhz for the general user.

An educated user can play with it a little bit more and decide what trade-offs he or she wants. For one.....I would watch my temperatures closely.....when I over clock....as I am going outside Motorola's test and research and so we don't know how the phones will behave. Each phone will behave slightly different.

Like Big Lou said......try it......the worst that can happen is you have to dial back the CPU speed or if not you can always do a nandroid restore.

I would think you have to do a whole lot more to do permanent hardware damage.

NOW, one question I would not be able to answer is "Would running at elevated temperatures reduce the overall life of the chip?" I would guess probably.......but the question is what is that life? If it reduces it from 7 years to 5 years, then its not a huge problem as most people don't keep phones that long. If it reduced it from 3 years to 6 months......that is a problem.
    Right now.....I have not heard about a SINGLE case of permanent hardware damage inflicted on the phone.....BUT then again the phone has only been out for 3 months...
    We do NOT have any data on the long term effects of overclocking.......for good or bad. Motorola might have some mortality numbers, but they have not released this info.

I would suggest keeping an eye on temperatures and finding out for yourself.

Good Luck

EDIT: Big Lou ignore...my first line...I got it
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  11. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

don't feel like looking it up...what's iphones cpu set at? and can they overclock if jailbroke? (never owned an iphone)
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

600mhz and no overclocking.
  13. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

cool, thanks. Good ammunition for argument purposes.
  14. srt4mn

srt4mn New Member

I am on BB 7.6 running 1.2ghz and no issues whatsoever, never had a FC yet and installed it last night. Very smooth. Try wiping your phone and installing from scratch, something is messed up.
  15. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

the simple answer here is of course it can hurt your phone and void your warranty. Any other answer is wrong. By doing it you take your chances. I am not saying it will destroy the phone, but there is a good reason Moto had is set where it was.
  16. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

I feel this statement is incredibly misguided. Yes, it will void your warranty (only for the simple fact that you had to Root to do it), but there's no real danger unless you're actually increasing the voltage. The processor is not a mechanical device, the faster it goes will not increase its risk of breaking.

Additionally, Motorola underclocked it for reasons of battery life.
  17. mth04

It can hurt your device. Just like oveclocking your CPU on your PC. It might not happen but it could. Saying anything else is just not right. Motorola didn't "underclock it" for battery life. Believe me when I tell you it has been engineerd for a reason. Do what you wish but it can damage your phone and does void your warranty
  18. magnus

magnus New Member

Overclocking CAN hurt your chips. By being safe and educated about it.....they NEEDN'T.

But increasing the multiplier DOES also increase heat....just not as much as Voltage
  19. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Good way to win a debate. Just pronounce any opinion other than yours as "just not right".

You have Miami's opinion, you want mine? We've been overclocking these phones (up to 1.3 Ghz) for over two months and no one has encountered high temps. Overclocking via the roms/kernels that are currently being used has about the same chance of hurting your phone as you getting hit by a meteorite in your backyard. And furthermore, Saying anything else is just not right. :)

It's all about the odds and risk evaluation. We are raising the chip temp a very small amount and are not getting anywhere near the chip's max temp (as defined by the chip maker - TI). With these moderate temperatures these chips should last years and years. And don't forget, almost all of us only needs two years and then it's new phone time. I've got an old Nokia 6620 smart phone and it is still totally operational after 6 or 7 years. These things are designed to last a lot longer than we will use them.
  20. mth04

first let me apologise.....i dont mean to come off like that. So if I sounded that way sorry :).
Search tags for this page
danger overclock android
dvfs

is it bad to overclock your phone

is+overclocking+dangerous android
s4 galaxy 40.7 celsius
what is overclocking a phone