Is my screen on time ok?

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I posted awhile back complaining about my s7 phone's battery life. I recently took it to a Samsung store where they discovered by looking at the batteru graph that there was indeed a battery issue. After paying 80 something for what they told me is a new battery(along with a port fix) I guess it seems a bit better.

I work 8 hour retail stock shifts where I'm on my phone somewhat lightly. when im on it heavier I listen to a lot of mp3s, use facebook messenger, and browse aimlessly in instagram and the facebook app. I'll also screw around on ssnapchat a little bit.

At the end of the day at maybe 12 to 13 hours later I'll see that my screen has been on at like 4 hours and 11ish minutes all together, once it's hit 1%.

Is this normal??? What SoT are you guys getting with your usage?? I've seen reports of 7 hours. I should also add I'm using and keeping 4g on most of the time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
4hours SOT is a good amount. Running your battery down to 1% can have negative affects though.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I concur with Mr Mustang. Considering you're running a lot of suicidal....I mean, social media apps (famous for being major battery hogs), you're doing really well. Please please please don't run your battery down that low. If you regularly do, it's more than likely why your first battery went bad.

S5 tap'n

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Alright, I'm also a bit concerned about the quick charge time. The phone seems to charge really slowly with the screen on, but maybe it's just me. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I don't know why I can't hit 4 hours once it hits like maybe 20 percent?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I already told you. It's because you've got a lot of social media apps installed. They chew up battery life like nobody's business.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why is 4 hours of SOT the target? I'm a big fan of "does your phone and your battery get you through a day doing the things you want to do, and what you expect"? Screen on time is different for everyone based on everything else going on with the phone. If you are happy with the phones performance and battery life that's all that really matters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
SOT matters because it's a more accurate gauge of how long your device actually lasts on a single charge. If your device lasts you 2 days before needing a charge, that only means you don't physically use it all that much.

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
SOT matters because it's a more accurate gauge of how long your device actually lasts on a single charge. If your device lasts you 2 days before needing a charge, that only means you don't physically use it all that much.

S5 tap'n
So does killing your battery to hit a certain SOT make it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Ok, but what about the quick charge time?? how long is it taking everyone to reach from 10 to maybe like 90 something percent? I realize quick charge works only works with the screen off. but I noticed charging is very slow with it on or when I'm using it (like fairly over 2 minutes each percent) I't seemed to charge faster when I first got it.

Thank you for the feedback, I feel more confident with the battery life now.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
So does killing your battery to hit a certain SOT make it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It's more of a simple matter of, "should I be getting more usage on a single charge then what I'm getting?" I'm ok with needing to charge it once a day. I was just wondering how the hell people in different forums are reporting 6 hours of SoT with heavy social media usage and all that. My charge time is my only remaining concern.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's more of a simple matter of, "should I be getting more usage on a single charge then what I'm getting?" I'm ok with needing to charge it once a day. I was just wondering how the hell people in different forums are reporting 6 hours of SoT with heavy social media usage and all that. My charge time is my only remaining concern.
They could be wifi only or 5% screen brightness...lots of factors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Who told you quick charge only works when the screen is off? Unless this is an S7 ONLY feature, that shouldn't be the case. Both our S5's & the wife's new Note 7 charge quickly while they are on and/or being used.
As mentioned, you can't gauge your SOT or overall battery life for that matter, off what others are posting online. We all use our devices differently, regardless of the similarity of apps being used.
I would suggest backing up all of your contacts, text messages, pertinent files/photos and do a factory data reset to see if that resolves your problem.

S5 tap'n

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Like this, should there be that much time left for that percentage?
Screenshot_20161110-183507.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161109-213153.png
    Screenshot_20161109-213153.png
    514 KB · Views: 173

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought quick charging stops at 80% and then from 80 to 100 it's normal trickle charging mode?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk