Is my phone bricked for good?

Spyke412

Reaction score
I think it might be. My droid was working fine last night. I plugged it into my computer to charge, went to sleep, woke up, and now it won't turn on. I get absolutely no reaction from pressing the power button. I can't even start up in recovery mode. I tried plugging it into the wall charger to see if that would help, but nothing happens. The led doesn't even come on when its plugged in. I was rooted and running UD 9.8 if that matters. So is there anything i can do for this phone, or do i just have to get it replaced at Verizon?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it might be. My droid was working fine last night. I plugged it into my computer to charge, went to sleep, woke up, and now it won't turn on. I get absolutely no reaction from pressing the power button. I can't even start up in recovery mode. I tried plugging it into the wall charger to see if that would help, but nothing happens. The led doesn't even come on when its plugged in. I was rooted and running UD 9.8 if that matters. So is there anything i can do for this phone, or do i just have to get it replaced at Verizon?

Just to be extra sure (hey you never know lol) did you try taking the battery out then trying to power it back on? I've experienced a similar situation where my phone wouldn't respond to anything until I did a battery pull.

*welcome btw ;)

OP
S

Spyke412

Reaction score

Just to be extra sure (hey you never know lol) did you try taking the battery out then trying to power it back on? I've experienced a similar situation where my phone wouldn't respond to anything until I did a battery pull.

*welcome btw ;)
Thanks but yeah i did do a battery pull with no luck :frown:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

*welcome btw ;)
aww shucks :( was worth a try. You can probably save it by following this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...k-your-phone-using-sbf.html?highlight=rsdlite I hope you're running windows lol good luck

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would leave it plugged into the wallcharger for as long as you possibly can leave it on there. It will receive way more juice that way compared to what it gets from a computer

toddegreene

Reaction score
Plug it into the wall charger for the day, then report back. Your battery may be completely discharged.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

*welcome btw ;)
aww shucks :( was worth a try. You can probably save it by following this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...k-your-phone-using-sbf.html?highlight=rsdlite I hope you're running windows lol good luck

If the battery is low enough, (which sounds like the problem) the bootloader will not even allow for you to flash anything.

OP
S

Spyke412

Reaction score

*welcome btw ;)
Haha yeah but thanks for the link i'll definitely try that.
I would leave it plugged into the wallcharger for as long as you possibly can leave it on there. It will receive way more juice that way compared to what it gets from a computer
Yeah i have it plugged into the wallcharger right now. I'm hoping that will help.

OP
S

Spyke412

Reaction score
Another good reason to have a spare battery on hand. I picked up an additional OEM battery from Amazon for less than $15.

I was thinking it might be a problem with my battery so i tried using my dad's to see if that would get it to start up, but it had the same results.

Edit: And I'm not gonna be able to do the flash with RDSlite cause my phone won't even boot.

Last edited:

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
im with nate and todd dude, cuz i once charged my droid on a computer for like 2 hours and took it off and the battery was at like 10 percent, so i would plug it into the wall. and i thought that bricking occurs during/ or after flashing a new rom or something like that.

OP
S

Spyke412

Reaction score
im with nate and todd dude, cuz i once charged my droid on a computer for like 2 hours and took it off and the battery was at like 10 percent, so i would plug it into the wall. and i thought that bricking occurs during/ or after flashing a new rom or something like that.

Yeah I'm gonna leave it plugged in for a good amount of time. And, yeah, bricking can happen from flashing your phone but I think your phone can also be considered bricked if you have a hardware failure. But I don't really know the terminology lol.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
With nate and them on this.

The phone shouldn't brick because you let all the power drain. If it was working prior to the discharge, I highly doubt it's rom related. If the phone took a dump it would be hardware related from what I understand by your explanation.

Edit: technically a phone that is bricked is nothing more than a paper weight, but when we are taking about installation and custom roms, we generally are referring to only software related paper weights. So, most people do not use the term bricked in reference to manufacturer hardware failure. Now, if you were working in the guts of the phone yourself and broke it beyond repair, I think you could call it a brick.

Tldr; if you broke it, then it would be considered a brick and not a defect.

OP
S

Spyke412

Reaction score
With nate and them on this.

The phone shouldn't brick because you let all the power drain. If it was working prior to the discharge, I highly doubt it's rom related. If the phone took a dump it would be hardware related from what I understand by your explanation.

That's pretty much what i'm thinking. If it won't work after a day of wall charging, I'll go get a replacement on the grounds that its hardware failed.