is my phone being spied on?

decy07

Reaction score
I recently got a new samaung galaxy s3 as a replacement for ny ild ibe which broke. The phone has been great apart from this wierd icon like an eye that is spying that appears along the top of my screen next to the battery level for a split second then dissapears this only happens when I use the wifi at my house and know where else I had a galaxy s3 for a year and a hakf before thos new one and never experianced this. Is there any safe apps I can download to check for viruses ect?
Regards
Decy

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe that is the eye tracker to keep the screen on, also known as Smart Stay. It keeps the screen on so as long as it can detect your face/eyes looking into the sensor, you should be able to find it in the settings to turn it off if you want to.

It's not a virus and it's a feature of the Galaxy line of phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree dezy, except that on my S4 that eye is there all the time and even though I have ALL "Smart" functions turned off. See below;

yhadata9.jpg

ehymepyz.jpg

Also notable is that I can't find any way to change the clock from what is now 24 hour time back to the previous AM/PM 12 hour indication. Anyone want to take a stab at that one?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree dezy, except that on my S4 that eye is there all the time and even though I have ALL "Smart" functions turned off. See below;

yhadata9.jpg

ehymepyz.jpg

Also notable is that I can't find any way to change the clock from what is now 24 hour time back to the previous AM/PM 12 hour indication. Anyone want to take a stab at that one?

Smart Stay is a separate setting. Settings, display, scroll down to features, uncheck Smart Stay
You try long pressing the clock yet?
Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup do what Mark said, Fox.

The the eye will be gone. I think it can be found settings -- my device -- scroll down -- smart screen. Turn off from there.

And as for the time, go to settings -- More -- Date & Time. Should be able to change it in there, probably had the 24hr clock box checked

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Smart Stay is a separate setting. Settings, display, scroll down to features, uncheck Smart Stay
You try long pressing the clock yet?
Support Our Troops!!!
<
Noteate

Well, I don't have a "Features" section in "Display", but you DID help me find the answer to this stumper.

"Settings", "My device" tab, "Smart screen", "Smart rotation" selection, was on! Turned it off, the eye went away!

areva5ep.jpg

Thanks.

As for the clock...been there, done that, no 12/24 choice that I can find.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm that's weird. Have you tried unchecking and checking the automatic time zone and then restarting to see if that helps? Battery pull might fix the clock issue.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Found it. Thanks dezy.

une7urad.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a "Features" section in "Display", but you DID help me find the answer to this stumper.

"Settings", "My device" tab, "Smart screen", "Smart rotation" selection, was on! Turned it off, the eye went away!

areva5ep.jpg

Thanks.

As for the clock...been there, done that, no 12/24 choice that I can find.

sorry about that. I was going by the settings on my Note8 and forgot Verizon got away from the 1 for all ui from their LG dumbphone days

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
from a not so broken version of Tapatalk
Notetoo.