Is my micro sd card dying?

DawsonMobley

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me here, I am trying to copy about 3.5 gigs worth of mp3's to my sd card and every time it takes forever (30 minutes) to get to about 75% and then it just stops, also my phone stops responding at that point as well, the screen won't turn back on and I have to do a hard reset to get it working again. Once it is back on the phone says the sdcard is damaged and needs a format. I have gone through this process 4 times tonight. It worked fine when I first got the phone and transferred all my music onto it. I am able to transfer my other files and folder (ringtones, roms, notifications and the like) onto it, albeit slower than I remember and the phone works fine otherwise.

Is this what happens when a micro sdcard is dying? It's only a couple months old:icon_evil:

thanks.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I had (possibly have) this problem as well. I thought I had narrowed it down to the Motorola drivers that were left over after I uninstalled Motorola Media Link. It always tried to update and didn't seem to work properly, so I got rid of them. I haven't had an issue since, but it's been a while since I've had to transfer anything big. *fingers crossed*

OP
D

DawsonMobley

Reaction score
Well, I plugged the microsd card into my computer tonight and transferred the 3 gigs of mp3 files onto it in about 15 minutes with no problem so apparently there is some problem with my phone preventing large transfers.

It did the same thing on two different roms however my droid was overclocked to 950 mhz all four times so I'm wondering if the cpu just overheats during large transfers and just locks up? It runs perfectly otherwise so it seems odd that a simple file transfer would trip it up.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of it. My problem came back. Re installed the Moto drivers, tinkered a bit with the SD card, just couldn't get a music sync to finish through the USB cable.

My last attempt that locked up, happened when I received a text message during transfer. The only thing I could think of, is that my "default notification" for the phone was something that was on the card, and not being able to find the "default" messed it up. I set the defualt to something from the phone memory, but left my other notification settings as they were (mp3's from the card, they just don't play when mounted.)

My sync was successful after I did this. Even sent myself an email and text during transfer. I tried to replicate my lock ups by setting everything back to how it was and trying again, but couldn't reproduce the problem. So back to "just don't know." I'm not convinced I have a bad card, but time will tell.