Is my Droid Bionic broken?

JMH805

Reaction score
I live in an area with 4G towers, but my phone constantly drops to 3G all of the time. Whats worse is that my phone constantly drops to no service at all, I can send text messages, but that is about it. What can I do?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mdotytx

Reaction score
From what other threads have said the 4g network has been having some issues :-\ and unfortunately with the bionic the rumor is that when 4g fails so does 3g.

Husker_fan_

Reaction score
I have a co worker with a razr and he experiences the data issues almost identically to mine. We've discussed it quite a bit.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
J

JMH805

Reaction score
This makes me feel like I wasted my upgrade on something that only works half the time.

mdotytx

Reaction score
I still really like my bionic...it does everything I ask it to :)....I am optimistic that once Verizon gets the bugs out of their LTE network the data issues will go away.

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
This makes me feel like I wasted my upgrade on something that only works half the time.

It is possible that the issues are at least partially due to Verizon's LTE network, or the handover that occurs between 3G/4G.

Have you tried disabling 4G on your phone to see if that takes care of your symptoms? Also, what software version is your Bionic running? Some updates have been recently released that resolve these issues for some users. You may wish to have your phone check for updates.

My advice would be to not feel like you've wasted your upgrade. The Droid Bionic does 3G better than previous-generation phones (it is noticeable compared to my previous Droid 2), and the dual-core processor and more RAM makes quite a difference in performance. If we here can help you with your LTE issue, we will, but it is one feature out of a phone that has a ton of other good ones, and it is very possible that other (including non-Motorola) 4G/LTE phones have some of the issues your experiencing as well

mdotytx

Reaction score
I live in a non 4g area and have been having severe data issues on my bionic....I turned off the 4g and now I can report that my bionic has been holding a strong 3g signal :-D

johnlgalt

Reaction score
I live in a 3G only area (nearest 4G is 100 miles away) and I have no issues with leaving LTE enabled.

I think it also is determined by your proximity to a 4G area, and whether your 3G area is about to be upgraded soon or not. Rumor has it that my area gets it in Spring, but we'll see....

johnlgalt

Reaction score
Sorry for the resurrection, but I had to add: the rumors were right. I now have 4G. Unfortunately, I now also have data drops left and right b/c I work in a 3G only area, particularly when coming back to 4G....

Sent from my rooted .904 BIONIC running CM9 Nightlies via Tapatalk 2

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

It depends partly on where you live. I live in San Diego, which was one of the first places to get 4G. 4G (and even 3G) is spotty inside my house, but 20 feet outside and I generally have 4G. At my parents 4G is solid enough to watch Netflix without a problem.