Is my Droid 1 Beyond Help?

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I've had the Droid 1 for about a year. In that time I've had three replacements for defective phones and one insurance replacement. My most recent was received in late July and is the one I currently have.

Today I received a text and when I went to retrieve it, every single message was gone. (Stock app.) No warning about low memory, nothing. I am dealing with some critical issues right now and this is extremely frustrating, and unfortunately is not the first time the Droid 1 phone model has erased every message I have.

Also, since the Android 2.2 update I have significant home screen icon delay. I have to swipe the screen to the left or right then back again to get the icons back.

My most recent call with Verizon asked me to hard reset the phone which I can do over the weekend after I ensure everything is backed up. The next step after that is another replacement phone.

I need to know from others if I should pursue a different Droid, like the 2 or X if I can get one. I don't care if I have to pay the going rate for the phone on another 2-year contract, I just feel that with these issues I am very frustrated with the phone. Or is the 2 and/or X buggy as well?

I use some of the features of the phone and a few fairly standard apps but I am definitely not a high-use phone person, so I really don't think it's any weird apps I've downloaded (I maybe have 10 and I install them carefully with plenty of time in between to troubleshoot any potential issues). I do like the Droid and certainly I understand there may be buggy software at times....but losing all of my texts repeatedly? My phone not ringing when someone has called me? Getting weird "authentication failed" messages for gmail when I have no issues getting into the app?

I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts people have on the matter. Thank you. :)

tommyb38

Reaction score
Are you running any task killers or ant-virus apps on the device? I would say do away with that stuff if you are and see what happens. I dont believe that test messages being deleted is a widely common issue, and if you have had it happen on more that one device, I usually start looking into what apps are installed on the phone. I am not saying that it isn't a device issue, just haven't heard alot about it doing that frequently.

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
No task killers or AV stuff. Stock texting and not rooted.

Apps installed from the market:

Skype Mobile
TuneIn Radio
Ring Toggle (very basic just allows quick adjustments on silent/vibrate/ring)
Sleep Bot (to see how much sleep I'm missing)
CLapp (saves searches for Craigslist)
AK Notepad
Cherry Rplayer (online radio)
DroidLight
File Cover Free (allows hiding of photos)
Pandora
TV.com
Bank app that allows me to check my balances

I try to be very careful what I install and allow time to see if stuff gets messed up. One time I installed an app that allowed me to view the time of another timezone (my boyfriend was traveling) and I could tell it messed up my phone.

I have nothing installed that would integrate with text messages. The apps that have been installed consistently over this year are the Ring Toggle, Pandora, AK Notepad for probably most of it, and likely Skype.

I am really at a loss. I need to do a hard reset but this is not a good time for me to do it. I can do it this weekend. But it could take a long time to lose my texts, this time was the first time on this device which is over four months old.