Is my display bad?

rockula

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was REALLY hot here yesterday and I had a long phone conversation with my buddy. I needed privacy, so I walked around the yard (away from prying ears) and talked.

Since it was so hot and humid, I was sweating. I have a screen protector on the phone and an ext battery from VZW. When I pulled the phone away from my ear to hang up, I noticed that the screen looked funny. It was dark in most areas, but not all areas. It looked like it was wet. The only thing that it could have been from was sweat from my cheek! So, I took the screen protector off and it didn't change anything. I decided to then pull the battery (the red dotted "wet" indicator is fine), and put the phone in rice overnight to draw out moisture.

I just checked it and it's the same or worse. The display is now totally unreadable!!

I was curious as to whether bad diplays were a known issue with the TBolts, or if perhaps a design flaw allowed for my face sweat to penetrate the screen and find it's way into the phone?

If that is the case, I'm going to be in for a LONG and warranty filled summer because I sweat like crazy due to the humidity. I've NEVER had a phone problem because of it. And the weird part is, it wasn't like my phone was soaked with sweat when I pulled it away from my cheek!

I guess I'm going to have to take it up to the VZW store and see if they have one they can swap out. Thankfully, I always carry the warranty. But I'm hoping that somehow they don't try to accuse me of lying and dropping the phone into water. If that were the case, the battery would indicate it and it probably wouldn't even work. The phone works as far as I can tell, but you can't read the display very well. It's all pixalated and the colors are all wrong. It wasn't like that yesterday. It was just "shadowed" in some areas. Now it's spotted with the shadows and totally unreadable. When the phone boots, the white HTC screen is bright green! LOL!

Any suggestions? Do you think I'm going to SOL?

If I had it to do over again, I'd probl not buy a Tbolt. I don't hate the phone, but it has weird data connectivity issues sometimes, hangs up on people when I hold in the crook of my neck, randomly reboots, and now this. Knowing what I know about VZW, they won't let me swith to a diff phone. They'll make me stick with this one, replacing it as many times as it takes until my contract allows me to get a new phone. And when that time comes.... I'm getting the iPhone 6. Period.

Jason

ziggy484

Reaction score
Sounds like an anomoly that only you have experienced... Seems like you have your mind made up about the phone, so what exactly are you asking?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
R

rockula

Reaction score
well, im annoyed mostly that I have had issue after issue with phone, and now THiS issue, which is going to end up being a swap for a refurbished phone. i havent had it but a couple months, and now I'll be forced to go with a refurb. That might be fine, but its the POINT that irks me the most.

my display is speckled in a weird 3D like way. like it's a layer that is affected.

i can try to take a screen shot, but dont know how. it may not show
the problem? i may have to take a picture with my camera.

j

OP
R

rockula

Reaction score
its almost like my text, keyboard overlay, etc are floating over the area that is messed up.

Danielsan

Reaction score
Hey Rockula,

Have you had the phone 14 days or less? VZW swaps out the phone due to defects and gives you a brand new one in store if thats the case. If not, it sounds like a warranty issue and they can send you one out.

When it comes to being a refurbed of course it will be, but you know the refurb is going to be someones old phone who just didn't know how to manage the battery on it, got impatient and decided to return it for an iPhone. I'd say about 90% of VZW's TBolt returns are due to battery life and there shouldn't be any other issues related to it. I use an extended battery at medium to heavy usage and can easily get 32-36 hours of up time on it without touching a charger. Without saying why, just know that I'm a credible enough source to know that about the return rate.

OP
R

rockula

Reaction score
I took the phone into the VZW store, and they told me that phones like this are VERY prone to being ruined by sweat, and they weren't the least bit surprised. (I've ahd the phone since it was released btw). They suggested that I buy a BT headset if i sweat a lot and talk on the phone. Sweat is able to penatrate these phones very easily, including the iPhone. She said that a good case would help such as the Otterbox, but I don't think OB makes a case for the Tbolt yet. I use the Extended life battery too, so I for sure don't think they make one yet.

Anyway, they said that it's not a warranty issue, but rather a "claim", which means I'd have t pay my $90 ded. The upside is that they would send me a brand new phone, not a refurb. Warranty phones are refurb phones. I haven't done anything about it yet, because with each passing day, it seems that the screen is looking a bit clearer and clearer. Basically the sweat looks like it's on the "projector" of sorts because whatever is displayed seems to float over the spotty, blob like patches. I've tried putting it front of a fan all night, etc. But that doesn't seem to do it. Time seems to be doing it. I may try to let it cook in the sun a bit too. They told me that it may clear up, but it could also end up shorting out the display anyway if it's corroded. Either way, I can wait and either way it'll be a claim that is covered.

I'm glad I didn't put my BestSkinEver shield on the phone when I got it! Otherwise, I'd have to buy another one.

The rep told me that if I wanted to switch phones, that the insurance dept MAY let me, as long as the phone is fairly close in price. She suggested the new "Waterproof" Driod, but I'm not too sure about it. I'm happy with the Tbolt, so long as it works. It does still randomly reboot since the update. I know i'd be happy with an iPhone since i have an iPod Touch. But it's likely I'll end up with a new Tbolt if this doesn't clear up.

Just thought I'd keep you posted! Thanks!

J

OP
R

rockula

Reaction score
The display has started to clear up a bit, but it's been a week or so, and it's not fully back to normal. But it's about 90%. It still bothers me! So, I haven't done anything with the phone insurance claim wise just yet. I can't help but think that that sooner or later it will catch up to me and a problem will arise. I could submit the claim then I guess.

J

tycedeano

Reaction score
I hope my phone isn't susceptable to sweat because I sweat like Michael Jackson in a kindergarden...

kparks

Reaction score
I took the phone into the VZW store, and they told me that phones like this are VERY prone to being ruined by sweat, and they weren't the least bit surprised. (I've ahd the phone since it was released btw). They suggested that I buy a BT headset if i sweat a lot and talk on the phone. Sweat is able to penatrate these phones very easily, including the iPhone. She said that a good case would help such as the Otterbox, but I don't think OB makes a case for the Tbolt yet. I use the Extended life battery too, so I for sure don't think they make one yet.

Anyway, they said that it's not a warranty issue, but rather a "claim", which means I'd have t pay my $90 ded. The upside is that they would send me a brand new phone, not a refurb. Warranty phones are refurb phones. I haven't done anything about it yet, because with each passing day, it seems that the screen is looking a bit clearer and clearer. Basically the sweat looks like it's on the "projector" of sorts because whatever is displayed seems to float over the spotty, blob like patches. I've tried putting it front of a fan all night, etc. But that doesn't seem to do it. Time seems to be doing it. I may try to let it cook in the sun a bit too. They told me that it may clear up, but it could also end up shorting out the display anyway if it's corroded. Either way, I can wait and either way it'll be a claim that is covered.

I'm glad I didn't put my BestSkinEver shield on the phone when I got it! Otherwise, I'd have to buy another one.

The rep told me that if I wanted to switch phones, that the insurance dept MAY let me, as long as the phone is fairly close in price. She suggested the new "Waterproof" Driod, but I'm not too sure about it. I'm happy with the Tbolt, so long as it works. It does still randomly reboot since the update. I know i'd be happy with an iPhone since i have an iPod Touch. But it's likely I'll end up with a new Tbolt if this doesn't clear up.

Just thought I'd keep you posted! Thanks!

J
thats BS i would keep calling customer support so now u cant talk on the phone if its hot out due to possable sweat it sound like a MFR defect to me no way i would pay $100 because it could of been sweat it was more likely the phone heated up and caused slight screen seperation... AND THATS A DEFECT... but in the future use ur finger tips as a buffer between u and the phone!

kparks

Reaction score
Or u could tell them that the phone constantly reboots and is almost unusable.. I'm not down for getting over on anything and getting stuff for free.. but in ur case I feel sweat is a little cheap so go for it...

OP
R

rockula

Reaction score
I'll say this much... lately, my phone has been losing it's data connection like MAD and it didn't used to do that. I does randomly reboot, and did so prior to the sweating. But now it's been losing it's data connection, something it hasn't done hardly at all since the update. I think that since it constantly reboots and loses it's data connection, I'm going to just call VZW and tell them about this (and not the sweat), and have them send me a refurb. The refurb may do the same thing, but at least I'll it wasn't my phone.

I really do like this phone, don't get me wrong. I'm happy with it. HOWEVER, I wish now I would have gotten an iPhone 4. Other buying a used one from someone and activating it, then selling my Tbolt... There really isn't much I can do about it right?

I've had an iPod Touch for a long time, and it rules. It's easier to type on, the games are better, the app's are as good if not better, and the display is better. Plus, I already own a TON of great app's for iOS. The only reason I didn't get one is because I had plans to buy an iPad 2, but now I don't think I can afford it. And no matter how cool I am with those people at the VZW store, they can't just allow me to swap my Tbolt for an iPhone. They have to answer for that.

They did tell me that if I turned in an insurance claim and paid my $99, that I MIGHT be able to sell that idea to the insurance dept since they really don't have any vested interest in what type of phone I have or want. As long as it's comperable in price, they just might do it... providing I "sell them on why I need the iPhone over the Tbolt". I'm not sure I can come up with a good enough reason?
J

kparks

Reaction score
I'll say this much... lately, my phone has been losing it's data connection like MAD and it didn't used to do that. I does randomly reboot, and did so prior to the sweating. But now it's been losing it's data connection, something it hasn't done hardly at all since the update. I think that since it constantly reboots and loses it's data connection, I'm going to just call VZW and tell them about this (and not the sweat), and have them send me a refurb. The refurb may do the same thing, but at least I'll it wasn't my phone.

I really do like this phone, don't get me wrong. I'm happy with it. HOWEVER, I wish now I would have gotten an iPhone 4. Other buying a used one from someone and activating it, then selling my Tbolt... There really isn't much I can do about it right?

I've had an iPod Touch for a long time, and it rules. It's easier to type on, the games are better, the app's are as good if not better, and the display is better. Plus, I already own a TON of great app's for iOS. The only reason I didn't get one is because I had plans to buy an iPad 2, but now I don't think I can afford it. And no matter how cool I am with those people at the VZW store, they can't just allow me to swap my Tbolt for an iPhone. They have to answer for that.

They did tell me that if I turned in an insurance claim and paid my $99, that I MIGHT be able to sell that idea to the insurance dept since they really don't have any vested interest in what type of phone I have or want. As long as it's comperable in price, they just might do it... providing I "sell them on why I need the iPhone over the Tbolt". I'm not sure I can come up with a good enough reason?
J

Yup that's correct u can request a different model but I would stick with HTC I have talked to several people who said the Verizon iPhone is not that great and downgrading in screen size will be a huge change I would get another bolt and wait and see what's going on with the next iphone..