is music junk legal?

bmb0205

Reaction score
Music junk is an app that searches the internet (maybe youtube??) for music and will download it directly to your music library. I love using this, but is it legal or illegal? I'd rather not get in trouble for it. I am in the US

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Music junk is an app that searches the internet (maybe youtube??) for music and will download it directly to your music library. I love using this, but is it legal or illegal? I'd rather not get in trouble for it. I am in the US

Thanks

It's not in the market, and it is illegal. Music for free? I don't think so.

Posting an .apk for this app is against Droid Forum rules. Just letting you know.

OP
B

bmb0205

Reaction score

Thanks

It's not in the market, and it is illegal. Music for free? I don't think so.

Posting an .apk for this app is against Droid Forum rules. Just letting you know.
That's weird that it's not in the market now, because that's where I got it lol

I don't even know what an apk is brah

Droidfish

Reaction score
This has been discussed a couple times.

Without getting into morality issues:

Technically yes, music junk IS legal, however downloading music that you have not paid for is not. Silly, right?

So even though apps or sites that operate like music junk usually end up getting shut down they are usually in the clear(legally) though not always, the users can be (technically) prosecuted fro using music junk to obtain music they have not paid for. I'm no legal expert but this is how I've come to understand it.

The chances of this happening are rare, but technically speaking.....

Scythe

Reaction score
I've built desktop file sharing apps (along the lines of old Morpheus, DC++, Gnutella, etc) and been involved with P2P file sharing for awhile. I've received more C&D letters than I care to remember, and use to run one of the most popular P2P based forums before selling it off.

I'll put it as simply as I can: Yes, it's illegal. The only legal thing you can do is download something as a backup copy. However, if you get tried in court (since they just pick out random IP's to sue) you have to have proof you owned a copy before you downloaded it. Most likely what would happen if you get caught is Verizon or whoever your provider is will tell you to stop downloading pirated material via a nice letter, or just cut your service off.

Scythe

Reaction score
O_O they sue bye picking out random ips.... i better go change my ip O_O to my router!

Yeah... not quite how it works. They just ask the ISP to trace that IP at the given time it was flagged. Everything you do is logged, takes the ISP about 10 mins to reply back. So, unless you're proxying around -- good luck ;)

metsnfins

Reaction score
i downloaded imusic when it was on the market, but has since been removed too for similar reasons. i love it though

brochaos

Reaction score
i highly doubt anyone will go after people using imusic or music junk. they prefer to sue people who help seed (distribute) which you aren't doing with these apps. you are just downloading files that can just as easily be found on google. the people hosting these files are the ones that the RIAA would go after...