Is Light Flow from a trusted source?

kimintenn

Reaction score
I've really been wanting to download Light Flow but have been wondering about all the permissions it wants... Is it a trusted source? I know a lot of people have downloaded it from here so seems like it must be. Just wondering how you know when it's safe to allow all these permissions and when you shouldn't. Are the apps in the market generally safe? Seems strange to give permission to read my emails, take pictures etc.

Last edited:

ryguy5254

Reaction score
How would the notification app know to notify you that you have a new email if it it doesn't have 'email permissions'?

If you read the description it explains all the permissions in that.

OP
kimintenn

kimintenn

Reaction score
Why does it need to be able to take pictures and video?

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Here you go, since you're soooo incapable of looking up things for your own:

[h=2]Permissions[/h][h=4]This application has access to the following:[/h]
  • Hardware controlstake pictures and videos
    Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.
  • Your messagesreceive SMS
    Allows application to receive and process SMS messages. Malicious applications may monitor your messages or delete them without showing them to you.
    receive MMS
    Allows application to receive and process MMS messages. Malicious applications may monitor your messages or delete them without showing them to you.
    read SMS or MMS
    Allows application to read SMS messages stored on your device or SIM card. Malicious applications may read your confidential messages.
    read Gmail
    Allows this application to read your Gmail.
    read instant messages
    Allows applications to read data from the Google Talk content provider.
  • Network communicationcreate Bluetooth connections
    Allows an application to view configuration of the local Bluetooth device, and to make and accept connections with paired devices.
  • Your personal informationread contact data
    Allows an application to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your data to other people.
    read calendar events
    Allows an application to read all of the calendar events stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your calendar events to other people.
  • Phone callsread phone state and identity
    Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.
  • Storagemodify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents
    Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.
  • System toolsprevent device from sleeping
    Allows an application to prevent the device from going to sleep.

Show all

• Your accountsview configured accounts
    Allows applications to see the usernames (email addresses) of the Google account(s) you have configured.
    discover known accounts
    Allows an application to get the list of accounts known by the device.
  • Hardware controlscontrol vibrator
    Allows the application to control the vibrator.
  • Network communicationview network state
    Allows an application to view the state of all networks.
  • System toolsautomatically start at boot
    Allows an application to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the device and allow the application to slow down the overall device by always running.

OP
kimintenn

kimintenn

Reaction score
Here you go, since you're soooo incapable of looking up things for your own:
Merry Christmas to you too.:blink::):blink::p

If you thought it was such a stupid question to ask you could have just not responded at all. I did look and could not find the information about the camera/video thing so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask since this a forum for asking questions about our phones.

Panther1911

Reaction score
I stopped the install at this point

its the credit card thing that stopped me

Screenshot_2011-12-22-15-59-55.png

OP
kimintenn

kimintenn

Reaction score
I stopped the install at this point

its the credit card thing that stopped me
I'm glad someone else is slightly cautious about these kind of downloads... The credit card thing made me nervous too. I am not extremely technical and don't know exactly what all these permissions really mean even though I did read the details on the permissions page. It did say something like it doesn't have internet access so it can't collect the data even if it wanted to? Who knows though.

I ended up downloading it because I really really missed my lights. I hope we get a fix in a new version ASAP though.