Is it worth the money

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by KidmanMakino, Feb 11, 2012.

1. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I got the D4 a few days ago (upgrade from the D1) and it's not worth $200+tax. I was able to get it for $100+tax (Best Buy matched Amazon's $149.99 price and had a $50 gift card upgrade promotion) but if I had to pay ~$230 I wouldn't have bought it.

#13 r314bd, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. NiteCloak

NiteCloak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Eris to Droid4

I too was an early smart phone adopter and had the HTC Eris (for over 2.5 years) I truly loved this little phone. Slow to be sure compared to product offerings in the last 12 months but it has been a feature-rich, reliable little workhorse. My wife and son also had the HTC Eris on our family plan so when their own renewals came up and they went with the iPhone4S I got to keep their old Eris's and have had a blast over the last 3 months toying (or is that tooling?) around with three Eris's, jailbreaking all three, removing bloatware apps and using them for all kinds of crazy fun. My wife's became a wi-fi games and music player for my 6year old daughter, my son's became a wireless CCTV camera for the house and my own, well, my own felt like it had a new lease of life for 2 months before I finally upgraded to the Droid4 on Friday.

Price: If you are with a provider and on a 2 year plan, you are going to be looking at anything from $149.99 to $199.99 for the Droid4, Razr or Razr Maxx but let's be fair here, if you had to purchase the phone hardware without a contract, you are looking at anywhere from $540 to $680 so they are a great price for the technology you are getting.

For me, I waited and waited, passing up on my upgrade eligibility, because I knew I wanted a 4G enabled device with a slide out keyboard. The Droid4 was the only choice for me. I have a large and successful Verizon store close to where I live and I have spoken to 5 of their staff who ALL went with the Razr Maxx (because of the extended battery life) and they all had nothing but praise for it. For myself, I love my Droid 4 and have been tinkering with it like a kid on christmas morning.

Friend, if you are ready to upgrade, make the change, you won't be disappointed.

3. KidmanMakino

KidmanMakino New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow how profound and I'm not being sarcastic. I've been reluctant to play at rooting my Eris for fear of bricking my little reliable albeit slow phone. For all its flaws it still works well. Not a fan of a real keyboard but maxx sounds good I guess I'm just being cheap.
    How does that "cloudish" razr thing work;same concept as dropbox?
    Glad to hear the hard reset works,that key to unlock the back of D4 seems odd. I think bottom line is I just wanted to see if either phone was worth the financial investment or if there would be some price drop or rebate discount in the future since I lucked upon the Eris as a freebie. I've moved to a small town where Sprint gets great coverage yet for some reason Verizon is very slow. Glad to hear these phones have no substantial drawbacks so I guess I'll hafta bite the bullet and go for it. Thanks again.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums

4. Kack

Kack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They will always have a deal after its been out for a while. I've always signed 1 year contracts because I get bored of my phone and want the hottest and latest. But now that I have a 2 yr contract ugh I will prob pick up a nexus in a year or something comparable for around 300 off of craigslist or ebay. So far my d4 is worth the 150 I paid. I wouldn't mind a razr maxx but I love the keyboard even though the screen is meh.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

5. KidmanMakino

KidmanMakino New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That was one of my dislikes,how awkward the screen was. The Eris is small and fits in my hand/pocket perfectly. I do miss having physical keys to type on but I've never liked holding my phone open with two hands,like an old fashioned gameboy. my thumb by itself is fast but I miss typing without looking on the front npad but that's pretty impossible on a full touchscreen. Maybe its not just the price but for that much it should be like a personal gd assistant,doing all the typing, replying and it should be a perfect mesh not settling since its far from free. I guess what can other Droid models do compared to these razrs,since they're the virtually siblings.
    That streaming from my desktop seems to be a real favorite but sounds like a battery killer or at least laggy--and does it work if my pc is off? I don't game much on my phone or look at videos like YouTube or trailers. I guess it comes down to not liking change I suppose but handling the D4 was awkward but if they were $20 images of two hundred I probably wouldn't be finding excuses. I really would like to get one just to have a fast phone but maybe I should try rooting the Eris first I just never understood what the advantages & risks were;would it be like just goin through msconfig to clear all the start up crap?

6. fingaz

fingaz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Coming from a Droid Eris myself, I have no idea how the hell you were actually able to type that up and send it using the Eris. And after coming over to the D4.... I still have no idea how you were actually able to type that, and I can assure you that it will be a MILLION times easier with the D4.

My Eris was soooo slow and just plain horrible. Couldn't run apps, it was slow, was difficult to use... I think it is def worth it. Plus i got it for $150!

7. KidmanMakino

KidmanMakino New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I could try for the $150 from best buy like that other guy said but I trust BB less than Verizon store,but I have that double upgrade. Eris was only crazy slow for me if I had fifteen apps running but I use advanced task killer so usually only have three open at once. Mp3 player slows it down if I'm multi tasking or receiving a text,that lags it a bunch.
    But doesn't the D4 have the same crappy battery as the regular razr? Or is it like the maxx with a keyboard

8. diablo85

diablo85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if only it were a maxx with a keyboard, i'd love it more. but no, its battery is 5mAh more than the razr. not much of a difference at all.

9. JeffDenver

JeffDenver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What features matter to you most? Storage? Reception? Display?

IMO, the Droid4 is not really worth $200 unless you absolutely need a great hardware keyboard. It's keyboard does kick ass.

But if you dont care about the keyboard I would really recommend passing on it and going with the Galaxy nexus, Rezound, Razr Maxx or LG Spectrum. I'd rather have any of those phones than a Droid 4.

(Bonus: I think all of those phones are cheaper than the Droid4 as well)

#21 JeffDenver, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. Kack

Kack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good points and it basically does boil down to if you want a keyboard. if that is the case then you will like it. vzw price says 200 but i got mine for 150 in store an have seen a lot of people that go to vzw get it for 150. the screen isnt great like the others mentioned but it is quick i havent noticed any lag. go to the vzw and compare the phones you might be interested in feature wise and got from there. and if you dont need a KB then Razr ,Rezound or nexus might be your next phone.

Search tags for this page
is my old razor phone worth alot of money
is verizon quantum worth the extra money

is verizon worth the extra money