Is it time to abandon Google Plus?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google Plus had some good....sort of. I mean hangouts have evolved to the point people make shows on youtube using nothing more than a recorded hangout chat and more and more are doing it. Photos and the cloud have saved my bacon many of times when I wiped my phone or did something stupid like try and flash the wrong software and now have to do a full wipe to get back to functional. Google could never get people to buy what they were selling in the social media front and that is ok. Cant have success if you do not try and along the road to success will be some failures. Google tried to be the anti facebook but the market have spoken and they rather have facebook, twitter, and instagram.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm on g+, but I follow people I met through Google buzz & some android & tech related stuff. Not much.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to facebook though. Myspace users greatly outnumbered Facebook users for a long time. When I first heard of facebook, you had to be a student at one of a specific list of colleges to join. When I joined it, you still had to sign up with a .ed email address. I held out on MySpace for a long time. It allowed way more customization to your profile. Sure, plenty of people went overboard with that, but it made it your own. When I first started transitioning to facebook, I described it as myspace for non-creative people.

With all of that said, I would really only miss posts by a couple people & the WatchMaker group, but I don't even really use WatchMaker on my watch. I just collect cool faces in case I decide to use it.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think with Instagram and FB dominating Social Media (not to mention Twitter, snapchat and tumblr pulling in huge amounts of users) there's just no room for Google+

Everything is FB and Instagram. If I'm friends with you pc on FB and Instagram there's just no reason to check out your G+ page and vice versa. Most people, including myself, share everything via FB or Instagram or both.

FoneHome

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
I think with Instagram and FB dominating Social Media (not to mention Twitter, snapchat and tumblr pulling in huge amounts of users) there's just no room for Google+

Everything is FB and Instagram. If I'm friends with you pc on FB and Instagram there's just no reason to check out your G+ page and vice versa. Most people, including myself, share everything via FB or Instagram.

I second that. I can only take so much with the social media so all I use is FB, IG and Imgur. That's enough for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Everything is FB and Instagram. If I'm friends with you pc on FB and Instagram there's just no reason to check out your G+ page and vice versa. Most people, including myself, share everything via FB or Instagram.
I don't even use instagram. I have it on my phone, but I never check it & never post. Everyone I know, including my parents & long lost relatives are on Facebook.

I use Twitter in much the same way I use g+. I rarely tweet & use it more for news & etc, even though I've read most articles in my feed reader before I see them on Twitter.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I don't even use instagram. I have it on my phone, but I never check it & never post. Everyone I know, including my parents & long lost relatives are on Facebook.

I use Twitter in much the same way I use g+. I rarely tweet & use it more for news & etc, even though I've read most articles in my feed reader before I see them on Twitter.

I will say Twitter is EXCELLENT for news. I use it exclusively for news.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I used it.. Not so much anymore..
I follow some people on Twitter.. I use Facebook more than anything..

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I LOVE G+.....I use it daily. I like how people don't use it the same way as Facebook, and I mean I don't see as many people updating useless stuff...like play-by-play of their day...*sigh*

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Yes. They are all mostly useless, but most of my HS class uses FB, so following and staying in touch is the only reason I stay. So few even tried G+, and the intrusive side of it as well made me delete it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I like Twitter for messaging a business or a local celebrity, like CLE Chef Rocco Whalen. I don't follow him on FB.
Instagram...meh. Signed up. Tried it. Can't figure out why the people post the same stuff in FB and IG.

Turbo Tap'n

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I like Twitter for messaging a business or a local celebrity, like CLE Chef Rocco Whalen. I don't follow him on FB.
Instagram...meh. Signed up. Tried it. Can't figure out why the people post the same stuff in FB and IG.

Turbo Tap'n
omg I don't get that either....I say pick one social media to post stuff to!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
omg I don't get that either....I say pick one social media to post stuff to!
I chose Facebook. And even that I don't use anywhere near as much as I used to and only on the mobile site.
Twitter I still just don't understand how to use effectively. All others y'all mentioned I have no clue what they are. Like I said, G+ I look at for news stuff or G Communities for beta apps but I do it through Chrome because I got tired of app updates, battery hog bug time, bug fix a few days later, update introduces battery hog again, update fixes, repeat....

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I use the website for everything except Twitter. Twitter isn't my thing either. I use it strictly for T-Mobile help since the phone-in help has never worked well for me. Their Twitter crew is first class.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the website for everything except Twitter. Twitter isn't my thing either. I use it strictly for T-Mobile help since the phone-in help has never worked well for me. Their Twitter crew is first class.
How do you get help in 140 characters or less? Texts and stuff I get when they go over that they thread. Twitter doesn't thread without a whole bunch of stuff in between for me

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
How do you get help in 140 characters or less? Texts and stuff I get when they go over that they thread. Twitter doesn't thread without a whole bunch of stuff in between for me

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

The support is provided through Direct Message. It looks very much like a text message. So you are having a one on one conversation. If the reply is longer than the allowed character count it would read like this:

"After reviewing the order the only option would be to cancel the whole order. We do apologize we are not able to cancel one device... 1/2"

"...from the order. Please let us know how you would like to proceed? *MS 2/2"

The *MS are the initials of the representative and the 1/2, 2/2 is the count for how many tweets you can expect to read from their replies.

It works very well since it doesn't take place inside of your main Twitter feed.